Can Visual Studio Code be used to write code for the PocketStation on Windows 10?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
B_Studios
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Artist and beginner programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5001

Can Visual Studio Code be used to write code for the PocketStation on Windows 10?

Post by B_Studios » August 16th, 2020, 8:42 am

Does anybody know if it is possible to use Microsoft's Visual Studio Code to write code for the PocketStation? Although the official PS1 and PocketStation were designed to work with older OSs like Windows XP, couldn't the PocketStation SDK be used on Windows 10 since the PocketStation is a simpler device than the PS1 and there are extensions for Visual Studio Code that are widely available as well as other programming languages. I'm not an expert on what is required to use these SDKs on modern systems so please correct me if I'm wrong or if both the PS1 SDK and PocketStation SDK have to be used in tandem on a modern or older OS.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 27th, 2020, 5:07 pm

You can use the GUI from Visual Studio to write the C code, but you can't compile for it from there. You still need to use the old compiler from Sony for the PocketStation to produce the machine code.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » August 28th, 2020, 1:07 am

Depends on the definition of SDK.

Pocketstation aside, there has been work on converting the PsyQ libs for use with a modern GCC, which would then allow the use of VScode, which is what I am using at the moment.

The original project was psyq2elf - here http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3582

However, there are some issues that were found with that project. Grumpycoder has been busy with an alternative and the results are very promising - that project is psyq parser.

I am currently using the PsyQ 4.7 libs with gcc 9 and VScode and its working great. Not everything has been tested so far but its looking good.

Alternatively you have PSn00bsdk from Lameguy64 - open source and uses GCC 7.5something.. you can also use that in VScode.

Another thing to add is sjefcoder is working on or has finished a gdb stub, so you can have debugging too :)

Pocketstation though, if you wanted to do that as Shadow said youd have to stick with the official tools, or see if there are any other tools you could use to develop. I think Orion on here did some development on the PocketStation

B_Studios
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by B_Studios » September 2nd, 2020, 3:03 am

danhans42 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:07 am Depends on the definition of SDK.

Pocketstation aside, there has been work on converting the PsyQ libs for use with a modern GCC, which would then allow the use of VScode, which is what I am using at the moment.

The original project was psyq2elf - here http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3582

However, there are some issues that were found with that project. Grumpycoder has been busy with an alternative and the results are very promising - that project is psyq parser.

I am currently using the PsyQ 4.7 libs with gcc 9 and VScode and its working great. Not everything has been tested so far but its looking good.

Alternatively you have PSn00bsdk from Lameguy64 - open source and uses GCC 7.5something.. you can also use that in VScode.

Another thing to add is sjefcoder is working on or has finished a gdb stub, so you can have debugging too :)

Pocketstation though, if you wanted to do that as Shadow said youd have to stick with the official tools, or see if there are any other tools you could use to develop. I think Orion on here did some development on the PocketStation
Thank you very much for the advice! I'll look into those for working with the PS1! I have also seen what Orion has done for the PocketStation and I'll look into his tools he has available! :D One last thing, would I be able to compile the code within those VS compatible libs or do I have to use an official compiler from a Sony SDK?

B_Studios
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by B_Studios » September 2nd, 2020, 3:06 am

Shadow wrote: August 27th, 2020, 5:07 pm You can use the GUI from Visual Studio to write the C code, but you can't compile for it from there. You still need to use the old compiler from Sony for the PocketStation to produce the machine code.
Thank you very much for the advice, glad to know that code can be written in Visual Studio! :D Are there any official PocketStation SDKs with compilers available or tools designed to work the same as the PocketStation compiler?

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » September 30th, 2020, 3:42 am

I use some open libraries that are called nugget, with that I can use an off the shelf gcc-mips and all that comes with it.

https://github.com/JonathanDotCel/hello ... ppycredits

if you want to use the official tools, you are stuck back in DOS/Windows

Also, there is the psyqparser solution, and psn00b