TTY output with real hardware (how ?)

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
New Nova
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Collector, developper, artist
Motto: RTFM
PlayStation Model: DTL-H2000

TTY output with real hardware (how ?)

Post by New Nova » August 23rd, 2020, 12:50 am

Hello everyone,

I'm building a real ps1 development environment with real old hardware. I run PSYQ on a Intel Celeron 800MHz with 180MB of RAM with Windows 98 SE. I can compile without any problem, but I wondered how to have a TTY output. I know that you can have it with NO$PSX
(like in this video : https://youtu.be/iwtii6jg6xc?list=PLAQy ... FxC61Tt-Xv)
But I don't know how to have TTY output on real hardware, since no psx emulator works on the old machine.
Any help ?

EDIT : bit of precision :
I have a SCPH-1002 with Xplorer FX according to this tutorial : http://onorisoft.free.fr/retro.htm?psx/ ... l/tuto.htm
Development PC : Compaq PC, Intel Pentium III 600MHz, 256MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (AGP)
Development Unit : DTL-H2000 board + DTL-H2010 CD-ROM drive
Retail Unit : SCPH-1002 + XplorerFX + caetla + modchip + activity LED mod

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » August 23rd, 2020, 5:34 am

IIRC, CatFlap displays TTY messages once you invoke it to send the exe to the PSX... I don't know if it works on Win9x OSes though.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » August 23rd, 2020, 7:04 am

The actual hardware that works with the boot ROM debug console code is a Motorola 68681 DUART mapped to 0x1f802000-0x1f80207f - there doesn't seem to be any chip select for this, so you have to decode the address yourself. The DTL-H2000 has some logic on it that implements just enough of this functionality that the boot ROM will work - this is what the PC-side SIOCONS program talks to.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » August 24th, 2020, 6:28 pm

You have a few options..

so if you are using caetla as trimesh suggested, you can use either catflap or the MSDOS Caetla tools to use console mode. You just do printfs etc and they are redirected to the PC without using SIO.

However, if you want to use the serial port (and have the hardware) you have two options.. You can use libsio/addsio (its detailed on another thread here) - when using that method you can talk out of the serial port at whatever speed you set, and printf etc are all redirected there.

Another method is by using unirom/nops from sicklebrick. Thas has some driver thing that loads that redirects TTY to the serial port but without the need for libsio.

Hope this helps