I’ve now completed two small rom hack projects using your tool, including the one I mentioned before, and have a third one well underway
Now, in case use case testimonies are welcome, I want to share a few things. None of these have prevented me from getting fully functional discs. They’re just a few oddities I’ve encountered along the way.
#1 Incorrect reading of file structure in IsoBuster
When I load a disc image made with mkpsxiso in IsoBuster, inside the first subfolder there are duplicate listing of any subsequent subfolder present in the root.
The LBAs are correct, and the disc is completely functional, this only affects the way they’re shown within this program.
This does not happen when I load the original game rip of the same game.
It could be just a problem of Isobuster itself (I don’t have this problem using CDmage, for example), but I thought it would be interesting, since it could be a sign of something mkpsxiso is doing differently to original PSX discs.
#2 LBA orders I can’t replicate on the XML
The games I’ve been working with have weird file orders where the LBA can go inside a subfolder, then back the root, then back inside he first subfolder, etc.
Example: Mega Man X6
When ordered by LBA, the file list looks like this:
Code: Select all
\STR\, LBA 23
\XA\, LBA 24
\STR\CAPLOGO.STR, LBA 25
\XA\DEMO.XA, LBA 961
\XA\BGM.XA, LBA 25.217
\SYSTEM.CNF, LBA 195.657
\STR\X6OP.STR, LBA 195.658
\SLUS_013.95, LBA 210.930
\ROCK_X6.BIN, LBA 211.185
\ROCK_X6.DAT, LBA 211.998
\ZNULL.DAT, LBA 236.858
On these cases, I can’t replicate the file order exactly when rebuilding with mkpsxiso (since I can’t make an empty folder first, move on to other files on the root, then back to filling the first folder. I can't have duplicate directory entries on the XML)
#3 Problems loading the last file before a DA audio track
(While the others have happened since v1.15, this obviously happened on v1.18)
When testing my Mega Man 8 mod after switching to v1.8, I encountered a freeze in a place I didn't have problems before. It was on a certain boss fight, at the moment the game loaded a file called "W_DEVIL.PAC". This didn't happen when building the disc with v1.15.
I realized the problematic file was the last file in the table of contents (before the .DA file at the very end)
Code: Select all
\STDATA\W_DEVIL.PAC, LBA LBA 142.493
\END1.DA, LBA 142.558
Since the problem started after the .DA file was properly implemented as an audio track, I added a big dummy file at the very end to see if it affected anything.
Code: Select all
\STDATA\W_DEVIL.PAC, LBA 142.493
\ZNULL.DAT, LBA 142.558
\END1.DA, LBA 160.646
Surprise, the boss fight loaded perfectly after that.
#4 DA music track has some sound on real hardware.
I wasn't sure if this was worth mentioning or not since it could be caused by number of other reasons (bad media, bad burn, bad console laser, etc), but I'll mention it just in case.
When testing my project in Retroarch Beetle PSX, the music played just fine, but when playing it on my PS2, the music had some glitched bits in the last parts of the track.
Also, it seems the track is starting to play at a different time in emulators than in hardware (again, could be an emulation problem. Seems like emulators ignore the default 2 second offset at the start defined by default in the CUE sheet when building the disc, whike hardware uses it.)