Controller: DUALSHOCK
Players: 1 to 2
Memory Card: N/A
Languages: Eng
Region: Auto
Burn and Play: Yes
Executable Included: No
Source Included: Yes

I've made the port of the legendary video game FNaF 1 into the console !

I got this idea from someone that have (maybe) tried to do it many years ago.

It has many things that the original game doesn't like two player mode, Custom night with more options, and more.

Since I am still pretty new to the ps1 homebrew community, I don't know how to manage memory cards and how to save, and also I've had problems with the camera system so I just placed the layout of the location with some squares representing the animatronics.

Source Code: https://github.com/Soeiz/FNaF-PS1-Project

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » January 28th, 2024, 10:15 pm

Sounds interesting. But I can't use a compiler, it's not possible. A binary version would be nice (unless there are issues about the copyright for the original game maps and artwork).

Memory cards can be basically accessed via normal file I/O functions, with device name bu00: or bu10:, but there are some extra pitfalls: You may need to call something like InitCard before use (plus maybe also StartCard, and _bu_init, I don't remember if they are all needed), filesizes should be a multiple of 8Kbytes (with 1..15 such blocks), and the first some bytes must include a header (among others containing the game title and icon).
Last edited by nocash on January 29th, 2024, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soeiz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer
Motto: What's going on
PlayStation Model: SCPH-9002
Discord: soeiz

Post by Soeiz » January 29th, 2024, 12:04 am

You can find it on the page game on gamejolt, and I'm trying to communicate with memory cards (I can but I can't write things)

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » January 29th, 2024, 9:15 pm

Ah, I've got it: On the github readme page you have a link to the gamejolt page, which has a link to the binary .zip file. I'll try to copy/paste the links from my tablet to my PC later, and then try if I can download the file on the PC.

In the previous post, I made a mistake (now corrected): The files should be a multiple of 8Kbyte. not 128KByte (which is the total capactity). You have a problem specifically about writing files? What you need is a real or emulated memory card, which may need formatting (if it's still completely blank), and there must be enough free space, and retail games are commonly using their gamecode as part of the filename (I don't know if that could be problem when using the official devkit without having an official gamecode). If you can't get it fixed, post some more info on what you are doing.

Meanwhile, I've watched a video that shows how the original game looks like: It was described as "point-and-click", but with absence of animations & inability to move around, it looks more like "sit-and-wait". As far as I understand, the main goal is to hit one of the "close door" buttons when you think that the monsters are getting too close. I guess one could implement that on a text terminal without graphics, or port it to random 8bit computers with or without graphics.

Does the original game game rotate the camera perspective in a 3D scenery, or does the camera just scroll through a static 2D bitmap? Both would be possible on PSX, and it looks like a nice oppurtunity to implement as many details as you like to.

Soeiz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Soeiz » January 29th, 2024, 9:45 pm

I've succeeded in writing the save file, now I'm trying to read it. Thanks for your help !

For the original game, it just uses a 2D image that moves. For the PSX version, I've cutted the image into 3 parts, and moving to make it seems like one big image. I can't do one big image at the start because of the console's limitations and my level in programming. I'd have liked to use psn00b.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » January 30th, 2024, 12:13 am

Cutting the image into smaller parts to match the texture page limits sounds just right.

I've managed to copy the gamejolt page link, https://gamejolt.com/games/FNAF-ps1/832993 and the download for the recent version should be at https://gamejolt.com/get/build?game=832 ... ld=1520775

Soeiz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Soeiz » January 30th, 2024, 12:17 am

Yeah, that's the version 1.1, I hope you like the port !