ESP8266 Wifi Experiments

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » March 25th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Quick update.

Everything is working very well with the PSXserial client. 100% success on EXE execution, and the reset functionality works perfectly and is very useful. Just console mode to finish and thats it.

Currently on with :-

• Set-up ESP8266 toolchain. I am going to fork the source for ESP link , and make some adjustments to the web interface so its more suited to this application, scope out adding extra GPIO control for future use
Once the client above is completed, want to scope out Lameguy64's liteload - I like the extra features such as binary upload and fileserver - very useful to me. The protocol looks very well documented due to the open source approach.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 1st, 2019, 4:15 am

Amazing work as always danhans!
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » April 1st, 2019, 7:01 pm

Thanks Shadow.

I am working on getting something working in ROM still (hence all my other posts), but one thing I would really like to get working is binary file upload (helpful for Yaroze).

Doesnt look like psxserial supports it, but I noticed that the serial part UniROM v6 does.. its is just undocumented (other than a brief mention of it in the readme. I have PM'd sicklebrick about it but he hasnt been online since last year :-/

mrhaboobi
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by mrhaboobi » May 7th, 2019, 10:32 am

Awesome work, will be very keen to see this progress :)

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » May 16th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Thanks!

Work is still on-going. The ESP8266 firmware I am using seems to have some problems with incoming data that I am working through - I have been testing it with the modded versions of xflash and the ROM downloads were always corrupt.

Have started work on a simpler version for the ESP-32 wroom.

mrhaboobi
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by mrhaboobi » June 18th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Any updates to this cool project in the last month?

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » June 18th, 2019, 6:20 pm

I have had limited time and have been on holiday and wanted to get the serial routines added to nxflash, so no real progress to speak of. When receiving from the PSX, there are heavy packed losses. I am not sure if it is down to the esp-link firmware having barely any buffering in that direction, or something else. Either way, I have decided to not investigate that route any further.

I am now using an ESP-32 wrover. My idea is to start writing a custom firmware in MicroPython. The ESP-32 would act as a server, which you send the files to and they are buffered heavily in ram or to the attached SDcard before sending via serial to the PSX, the same would happen in reverse back to the PC.

I am part way writing a psxserial client in MicroPython, that loads a PSX-EXE from SDCARD. Then I will be building up from that.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » June 26th, 2019, 12:02 am

Little update on this.

So I have now got a ESP32 WROVER module up and running with MicroPython. Works great and have moved over my psxserial client to it.

At the moment the code mounts an SD card, and sends MAIN.EXE out of UART2 to that is mapped to pins 25/26. With this being the WROVER part, it has 4mb of SPI RAM built in.

That could possibly mean - PC via TCP to ESP32 RAMDISK - ESP32 RAMDISK read out over UART.

My only reservation with this approach is that the ESP32 needs to be intelligent and aware of whatever is being sent over it.

Open to any ideas or input if anyone has a better way of steering this.