.NET version of Jihad/HITMEN SEND.EXE

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

.NET version of Jihad/HITMEN SEND.EXE

Post by Shendo » July 11th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Hello everyone.
Yesterday I added an RS232 port to my PSone so I could test homebrew without burning it to cd.
However, Jihad's/HITMEN's Send.exe is a 16bit DOS application which doesn't work on x64 bit Windows.

Running it under Dosbox gave no result as USB-RS232 adapters don't support 5n1 mode
(which is required under Dosbox even though Send.exe is using 8n1 transfer).
Eventually, I got it running under VirtualBox with Windows XP but I didn't like that as it seemed too cumbersome.

So I decided to make a clone of that application. I've whipped SerialMon and started capturing packets.
The protocol was very basic so I quickly knew what to do. After a few hours of coding I made a working clone.

Enjoy uploading your homebrew without the hassle on your modern x86 and x64 Windows. :D

Download from Mediafire

Download from PSXDEV.net
Send .NET 1.0 beta.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

rsoft
Rookie Programmer
Rookie Programmer

Post by rsoft » July 12th, 2013, 12:34 am

Pretty neat.
Did you have any specs to work with and if so, would you mind sharing them?

Edit: Oops, just noticed that you said you used SerialMon to capture the data transfer...
Last edited by rsoft on July 12th, 2013, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Type 79
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Type 79 » July 12th, 2013, 1:33 am

:clap

Works flawlesly on Windows 8 64bit.

Used this cheap usb-module and half linkcable to connect with PlayStation.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232-TT ... 0892424691

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » July 12th, 2013, 2:00 am

@rsoft: Yup. As I said I used SerialMon to capture data and analyzed it. The protocol is basically this:
1. Send sync byte (0x63) (Start of transmission).
2. Send 2048 byte EXE header.
3. Send 4 byte initial PC (X address).
4. Send 4 byte write address.
5. Send 4 byte file size.
6. Send the rest of the data.
7. Send 2048 bytes of 0xFF. (End of transmission).

EXE itself contains X address, write address and file size so the receiving application has all the data it needs
but it's required to send it after the header. Maybe it's some kind of minimal check that it's all working properly?

@Type 79: I'm glad that it's working. Neat job on the cable.

CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am

Post by CosmoGuy » July 12th, 2013, 3:14 am

Hi

I'd like to test my apps without burning them to CD everytime [i'm buying a small spindel a week and use it in free time :P, but i'm burning there just well done builds].
Today it's hard to get any accessories to psx, in my e-shop there are just 5 new, non-used pices of that Link Cable dedicated to psx.
Is it woth to buy one and probably waste it to do that thing? It seems to be useful but i'm young without job and have lack of money :D, parents won't give me for such "stupid things" as they say (but i love them anyway ;)]:).
Link cable is cool thing anyway and i know few people who have their ps1s and would play with this just to test some games for fun :), so it would be sad to permanently destroy it, by cutting in half...

Of course the second option is waiting to official release of psx blaster but it will be very expensive probably.

Regards, :).

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » July 12th, 2013, 3:26 am

If you can find it cheap go for it. It will save you money if you are constantly burning CDs plus you have
the advantage of trying more builds. I wouldn't feel bad for breaking a cable. You then get 2 upload cables :D.

You can also just take TX, RX, GND from the middle and use it to upload EXEs and still use it as a Link cable
to connect 2 PS1s (not to mention you will be able to monitor data from one PS1 to another).

If you really don't want to spend any money (other then getting USB-RS232 module) and you have a soldering iron
you can solder wires directly to the PS1 motherboard. Pinout is available on the internet.

rsoft
Rookie Programmer
Rookie Programmer

Post by rsoft » July 12th, 2013, 6:05 am

Thanks for posting the protocol here!
I've just tried HIT-Serial and the standard transfer rate seems to be rather slow. (Maybe 9600 baud?)
I'm able to go up to 115200 baud with Net Yaroze/SIOCONS so I don't think I'm going to use HIT-Serial on a regular basis. Am I doing something wrong, am I just too stupid to notice that the exe I've uploaded is way bigger than the ones I've tried with SIOCONS or is it just the way it is?
Oh. 454K... that might explain a thing or two... Hehehe...

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » July 12th, 2013, 6:22 am

It's 115200 bps also so it's probably due to the bigger file size.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 17th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Works GREAT!

Update: Download PSXSERIAL from http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=378
PSXSERIAL is based off of the .NET version of Jihad/HITMEN SEND.EXE with permission from Shendo.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.