Is it possible to use a PS1 Game's game Engine to port a modern game to ps1?

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
unops1archive
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: n/a
Discord: n/a

Is it possible to use a PS1 Game's game Engine to port a modern game to ps1?

Post by unops1archive » December 2nd, 2023, 10:04 am

Hello

Very new here, and have no idea aside some basic Linux about coding. But I love PS1 and have for over 25 years. I have a question.
Is it possible to reverse engineer a ps1 game, and use that game engine to port a modern game to the ps1?
For a wild example (not giving away my idea because I simply dont trust people anymore) use the Gran Turismo 2 Engine to do a modern port of say Gran Turismo 6? Obvisouly the idea would be to work within the ps1's limits for a bespoke port.

I dont know C++ or coding at all really aside some basic Linux which Ive forgoten most of. Perhaps All I can do is assemble a team and direct the project lol. There is a very specific game, which has IMO one of the best engines on the PS1, and most modern games owe themselves to it. I just dont know the development side of it, and after 25 years of DAW's and music production ive no idea if my poor old brain can learn something as complex as this from the start haha

I spent a whole day last week churning through all the SDK stuff and information and all I learnt was I know nothing and ended up with a headache lol.

Thanks

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » December 4th, 2023, 12:17 am

Without coding: No, that's not possible.
With coding: Yes, it's possible, but only if you have a fetish for complicated self-bondage techniques.

It would be easier to write a new game engine from scratch up, or port the existing engine from modern hardware to old hardware. Either way, you won't get anywhere without coding.