How to determine PsyQ Version used for a game?

General help for the PSY-Q SDK, such as setting the SDK up, compiling correctly, linking and debugging
nicksnax
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Discord: nicksnax

How to determine PsyQ Version used for a game?

Post by nicksnax » October 16th, 2023, 9:42 pm

Hello! I am getting my feet wet decompiling a game, and trying to get a few things sorted out

The biggest issue being "even if I decomp the game, how do I get it back as a game"

I've found out that PsyQ used varying versions of GCC over it's lifetime. I know which version of GCC the game used (very likely 2.8)

Was there specific mappings of PsyQ? For example, 2.8 was always 4.3 PsyQ

Thanks, and sorry if this is a repeat question!

Kneesnap
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1000

Post by Kneesnap » October 18th, 2023, 11:29 am

It's a little bit more complicated than this. The PsyQ SDK is a collection of many different .exe files, many of which can be mixed & matched between versions. The GCC builds included are no different.

For the sake of simplicity, let's assume there was no mixing & matching going on.
GCC 2.8.0 came with the CD "Programmer Tool - Runtime Libraries 4.3"
GCC 2.8.1 came with the CD "Programmer Tool - Runtime Libraries 4.4"

nicksnax
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Discord: nicksnax

Post by nicksnax » October 18th, 2023, 1:35 pm

Ah, I see

So it can turn into quite the difficult problem. Are there any tips or tricks to try and understand what parts may have been used?

Kneesnap
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1000

Post by Kneesnap » November 16th, 2023, 5:06 pm

nicksnax wrote: October 18th, 2023, 1:35 pm Ah, I see

So it can turn into quite the difficult problem. Are there any tips or tricks to try and understand what parts may have been used?
The website decomp.me is great because while decompiling functions it will let you select different compilers to see which ones yield the best results. Unfortunately, getting started can be a little more daunting than it would be ideally. The good news is that there's a public discord, and the guys who run this site are quite responsive. There are also many people who are open to helping you get help setup.