TSQ Files?

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
nocash
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

TSQ Files?

Post by nocash » March 13th, 2024, 1:47 am

Does anybody have TSQ files?

According to Sony's file formats document, they would contain data for "2D Animation Time Sequences", but I have never seen such files for real. If you can find one - anywhere in retail games, homebrews, programming examples, demos, whatever - please let me know!

Squaresoft74
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » March 14th, 2024, 12:30 am

Only TSQ files i've ever heard of are Takara's custom sequence format used by Choro Q Wonderful!.
But i guess it's completely unrelated to what you're after since you mentioned Sony's graphic file formats document. :shrug

gwald
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » March 14th, 2024, 10:39 am

I know capcom tested them, maybe used them, it's in the tron bonne leak
/Capcom3ID451/00_?????_ID442/00_?????/PS_???????/???/disc2/matsuda/mywork/bg/?????
?????.7z
grep -r GZC00
PAL?/TRON_CD1/PSX/TRON/LDF/ST80_00.LDF:..\GEZEL\CUTDATA\0000\GZC00S.BG N_DAT 0x801FD350 0 0
grep: PAL?/TRON_CD1/PSX/TRON/LDF/ST80_00.LDF: binary file matches
???/psx/ldf/st80_00.ldf:..\GEZEL\CUTDATA\0000\GZC00S.BG N_DAT 0x801FD350 0 0
grep: ???/psx/ldf/st80_00.ldf: binary file matches
???/disc1/ldf/st80_00.ldf:..\GEZEL\CUTDATA\0000\GZC00S.BG N_DAT 0x801FD350 0 0
grep: ???/disc1/ldf/st80_00.ldf: binary file matches

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nocash
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 16th, 2024, 6:04 pm

Squaresoft74 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 12:30 am Only TSQ files i've ever heard of are Takara's custom sequence format used by Choro Q Wonderful!.
Yeah, that's something else, those TSQ/TVB files seem to be some equivalent to SEQ/VAB audio.
gwald wrote: March 14th, 2024, 10:39 am I know capcom tested them, maybe used them, it's in the tron bonne leak
Cool, that looks right, with all those Sony's 2D video formats like TSQ/CEL/BGD.

I can view the .7Z directory, but it seems to be impossible to decompress the files on win98 : / it's either saysing unsupported method, or missing DLLs (in newer 7zip versions).

Is there only that one TSQ file in the leak, or are there more/dozens of TSQ files?
Any ideas if that TSQ does actually belong to Tron Bonne, and perhaps exists even in the retail version?

Looking into Tron Bonne retail version, there are only several large BIN files that seem to contain several smaller data blocks. The KAIWA\*.BIN files seem to have no directory structure at all. And the DAT\*.BIN files do have some (messy) chunk structure:

Code: Select all

chunk type 0 --> whatever main ram data, in whatever format(s)
chunk type 1 --> vram data, in custom format
chunk type 5 --> spu adpcm data, in .VH and .VB format
chunk type 8 --> might be spu midi sequences? or whatever random/compressed bytes?
If there are TSQ's in there, then they might be in chunk type 0, but possibly with stripped/modified headers, and probably merged with other data, so it would be difficult to find or extract them.

gwald
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » March 17th, 2024, 7:11 am

matsuda.zip
That's the only TSQ files in the Tron leak (https://archive.org/download/capcom-lea ... chive%234/), at least searching for *.tsq files.
I dont know if they used it in retail, the leak to me looks like a dump of everything from start to end, so maybe they only tested it, or only used it for one scene (I doubt it tho), but the images do look it's from in game, so :shrug
I haven't spent much time looking at the leak TBH, I dont find it very interesting :roll:

The game released late... around 1999, so it's kinda weird to see it there, but not surprised capcom and the Japanese in general seem to have used the highlevel libs more than other regions.

I used to have more PS1 retail game code on my HD but did a reinstall, I just happen to have recently discovered this leak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nocash
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » March 18th, 2024, 12:23 am

Thank you! Yes, I think I can imagine why you are considering the TSQ files as not very interesting ; )
I've only got into that stuff because I was wondering what they were talking about in the file formats doc (and especially, my file system viewer did often mis-detect random binaries as possible TSQ files, because I didn't know for sure how real TSQ files would look like)

Yup, the TIMs are looking like game graphics (as opposed to This is a test image, showing my older brother eating a baked potatoe, not to be included in the retail version). Nonetheless, the TSQ file does just contain these bytes:

Code: Select all

24 01 02 00               ;ID(24), Ver(1), NumEntries(2)
  00 00 00 00 60 00 30 00   ;Group(0), Time(0), Attr(0), Hotspot(60,30)
  00 00 00 00 60 00 30 00   ;Group(0), Time(0), Attr(0), Hotspot(60,30)
That is, the animation is just alternating between two identical metatiles, which looks more like an accidentally generated dummy file (and the retail version doesn't seem to include that byte pattern anywhere). Anyways, it's been very helpful to fix the filetype mis-detection issue.