Help with PS1 16bit tim image

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
scorpion2k81
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Help with PS1 16bit tim image

Post by scorpion2k81 » February 26th, 2024, 12:43 am

Hi,
I have a problem with some 16bit TIM image files for PS1, I can't convert them correctly into an editable format (bmp, png,...).
The game is Ore no Ryouri, I would like to try to translate it into English/Italian.
Can anyone help me edit these files?
Thank you.
16bit images.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scorpion2k81 on February 26th, 2024, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 26th, 2024, 9:55 am

That is a rar file, those are very hard to deal with, you would probably need the newest version of the rar software. But even then, given the size, what makes you think that it could contain a tim file???

scorpion2k81
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by scorpion2k81 » February 26th, 2024, 10:28 am

nocash wrote: February 26th, 2024, 9:55 am That is a rar file, those are very hard to deal with, you would probably need the newest version of the rar software. But even then, given the size, what makes you think that it could contain a tim file???
the archive I uploaded contains the tim files that I need to modify. I have uploaded everything in a compressed file

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 26th, 2024, 1:18 pm

Ah, I thought it was only one "TIM" file, and might exceed 2Mbyte after decrompression. Thanks for changing rar to zip.
The tim's in there have all wrong colors, which is somewhat impossible for 16bit direct color.
I'd assume that they are 4bit or 8bit (or a mixup thereof).
The required palettes seems to be included at the bottom of the bitmaps.

That's looking quite common. Tim files do often just contain raw vram data, so you need to sort out yourself which pixels have which color depth, and how to assign which palette(s) to which pixels.

scorpion2k81
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by scorpion2k81 » February 26th, 2024, 6:31 pm

I noticed the palettes in the image below...
they look like 8 bit+clut images, in vram they display half the width.
they could be fake 16bit Tims.

Rabatini
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Rabatini » February 27th, 2024, 12:54 am

The image consists of a mix of 8 bits per pixel (8bpp) and 4 bits per pixel (4bpp) data. The color look-up table (CLUT) is located at the end of the file. It's uncertain whether all the CLUTs are present.

Utilize the "nopsx" emulator to extract each CLUT individually and retrieve the accurate colors.

I have attached two tools created by my compatriot Denim that can help you extract the CLUTs. There is also a tutorial in Portuguese on how to use them.

]Image
[/quote]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scorpion2k81
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by scorpion2k81 » February 27th, 2024, 1:21 am

Thanks