PS1 cooling system, possible to integrate ?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

PS1 cooling system, possible to integrate ?

Post by DD-Indeed » June 10th, 2014, 7:15 pm

I guess many people have been thinking those overheating issues, that have come over the years with PS1, so I started to wonder, would it be possible to built in couple very small cooler fans and even get the power for the from the power source of PS1 ? That could give more lifetime to the consoles motherboart and power unit.

I removed the CD-reader from my SCPH-5502, 'cause the machine is going to be my main and modification machine, after PSIO comes, so the CD-drive isn's necessary (I've also have SCPH-9002, untouched since 1999, when I got it, so it's gonna be the ''museum piece''). :D The CD-lid could be best place, to position the ventilation from inside to out. And the cooling fans would be positioned on the sides of the box, there's already cooling holes so they would get air from there and blow them throught the machine and off from the CD-lid ventilation.

Two of those should fit in perfectly: http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/evercool ... h12ed.html

Only worry is that what is voltage, that the power unit gives for the motherboard ? If it's something between 5-12 volts, there's possibility to just ''steal'' supply for fans.

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: IT Consultant, Systems Integrator
PlayStation Model: 7501

Post by Gradius » June 11th, 2014, 1:05 pm

It's possible, but I see no point.

When I was in Brazil (+35C @ 24h everyday), I never had any problem with my SCPH-5501.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by DD-Indeed » June 11th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Okay, so it can handle it pretty well. Maybe it's just in some models, that have the problem (early or the late models ?). And usually when the machine is on the floor, it get cool air from the floor and there's plenty of ventilation room around it, but in a TV-set shelf, where's sometimes limited space for it, there could be problems with the heat. My machine is in a short and narrow space (3 cm room on the top and 15 cm on the sides) and it's tends to collect some heat. So that is in mind, why I started to think about built in cooling fans.