DTL-H2x00 on Win2k/XP ?!?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Jackhead
Verified
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

DTL-H2x00 on Win2k/XP ?!?

Post by Jackhead » April 30th, 2024, 2:43 am

i got really confused and like to bring some clearence to the topic.
Pretty sure i missed something or im thinking wrong, but feel free to correct me.

So what is the my problem?
It all start that i want to use first/third party sdk tools/debugger on a modern System with real dev hardware.
I know there much more easy ways like emulators modifiyed SDKs and so on..

Im using a H2500 for exemple what gives with the PCI interface, a good start to use it with a modern OS?
The Problem are the lack of drivers sony provite to get the kits working on NT systems beyond NT 3.5.
Than you have SN Software that give you the drivers for her Fileserver for example that run even on winXP!
But than the Windebugger from SN dont work because there no drivers installed for the h2500 board.
Im not sure how the ISA version get around this? Someone here running win2k/xp with a H2000 or even a h2700?

There multiple flashes provited from sony for DECI or a SN bios for the PSY-Q stuff.

So here what i think about it.

- Sony supports the devboards up to end of 1998 with the V2.2 SDK
- SN are continue the software support further 2000..
- The latest board driver from Sony are for Win98SE
- DECI can only used with a DOS background OS (win98)

What did i tested so far?
Im able to install the SN windebugger from the V2.2 on Win2k/XP. Than i have a driver package that provite a Fileserver Tool working on Win2k/XP. with that installed the kit init and im able to download/run code.
But there no .inf for windows to get the H2500 showing up in the device manager. As result when i start the SN windebugger it cant connect to the Kit. What i dont get it because the NT Driver package can only be installed with a install of the windebugger before???!?

Maybe i just have not the correct versions. But that is the question.
What are the latest SN package they release? Pretty sure devs need to get it directly from SN after Sony let the support fall for the devboards.
So anyone here know more and can help?
PS1 Dev PC: DTL-H2500, H2510, H201A, H800, CDU921S, CD-Emu PSY-Q on Asus P2B with Win98SE

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » May 3rd, 2024, 6:51 am

To make it a bit more clear what you are talking about, here is what you had posted in the other thread:
Jackhead wrote: April 27th, 2024, 7:58 pm With the great Pikuma tutorial for PS dev i setup my PS Dev PC new.
Im looking to use the h2500 with the best option for IDE and debugger.
ATM i using the Code Warrior release 5 with update DECI and it working fine with win98se.

Whats new for me that its possible to flash a SN bios to the h2500 to use it with the SN Win Debugger like the PSY-Q Kit.
I had a SN Flash but when i try to flash it just freeze the h2500.
Reflash the DECI or H25bios anything working fine again.
But i have no idea why the SN bios dont work at all?? Anyone tryed this here before?
From what i read the SN Windebugger even work on WindowsXP with the h2500, what im want to try..
The Pikuma tutorial seems to be a paid-for programming lesson for beginners. That's fine, but I think you couldn't possibly expect it contain any info about setting up ultra-rare collectors-only dtl-h boards.

I am skipping the part about whether you can flash the bios with which versions on which OS. So the next thing is:

Where did you read that "SN Windebugger even work on WindowsXP with the h2500" ???
Jackhead wrote: May 1st, 2024, 7:32 pm The DECI and h25bios are include the Programmer Tools under PSSN. The PSY-Q SN bios for SN Software comes from SN. I think its also include in some Lib update discs.
That's a bit vague, but I assume you mean something like this:
https://archive.org/download/ps1_sdks
https://archive.org/details/sony-playst ... oppy-disks
With "PSSN" being the name of a folder found on one of the newer Programmer Tool CDROM versions.
Jackhead wrote: April 30th, 2024, 2:43 am Im able to install the SN windebugger from the V2.2 on Win2k/XP.
Than i have a driver package that provite a Fileserver Tool working on Win2k/XP.
The latest board driver from Sony are for Win98SE
The Fileserver Tool sounds a bit offtopic here, unless it's something running on the DTL-H hardware.

What do you mean by Win2k/XP? Did you try to install it on both Win2K and WinXP?

As far as I remember Win2k didn't really exist (it was announced for year 2000, but immediately replaced by WinME because nobody wanted to use Win2K, at least not regular users). And WinXP came in late 2001, at that time the remaining PSX developers were probably still on win98, probably with barely anyone expecting service to include new drivers for WinXP.

Generally, there isn't much of a problem to install software on newer windows versions (unless the software is too bugged). So far, hearing that you can install the debugger isn't so much a surprise. Of course, without hardware drivers, you could only install it, but couldn't actually use it to access the hardware.

But you do have drivers for Win98SE? Can't you use those? I have no experience with newer windows versions, but if you search for 'windows driver compatibility mode', everyone seems to be telling you that you could use drivers as old as win95 on modern PCs (which, I didn't know that myself, and I am not really convinced that it's true, I always thought that microsoft is requesting people to use different drivers for each and every windows version).