Alternative to action replay COMMs card?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
kruuth
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Alternative to action replay COMMs card?

Post by kruuth » September 1st, 2016, 5:49 am

Is there a diagram or something that shows how to use a regular parallel port with an action replay? Isn't there something that you have to do in order to reduce the voltages?

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » September 1st, 2016, 9:41 am

There are schematics for "Free Wing" and "ExStand" adaptors for connecting Action Replay to parallel port. Both consist of a handfor of TTL chips, plus connectors, plus external power supply. I think they are bit overcomplicated, their advantage is that they are working with the original Action Replay and Caetla firmwares, and at least with some of the Caetla PC tools.

And, last week, I've made this mod:

Code: Select all

nocash FiveWire mod:
  disconnect DB25.pin14,15,16,17 from GND (may require to desolder the DB25)
  repair any GND connections that were connected to above pins
  wire DB25.pin1./STB    ctrl.0   to DB25.pin10./ACK
  wire DB25.pin16./INIT  ctrl.2   to PSX.EXPANSION.pin2./RESET
  wire DB25.pin15./ERROR status.3 to PSX.EXPANSION.pin28.A20
  wire DB25.pin13.SLCT   status.4 to PSX.EXPANSION.pin62.A21
  wire DB25.pin12.PE     status.5 to PSX.EXPANSION.pin29.A22
It's basically just needing five wires installed on the Action Replay PCB, and, the bigger problem might be cutting the GND connection (in my cart, they've been underneath of the DB25 connector, so I needed to desolder it). And, the biggest problem might be that nobody uses parallel ports anymore (or so I thought). But if you hava a parallel port and can do some basic soldering then... it might be useful for you (?)
The downside is that it isn't compatible with the original software, although one could theoretically patch the original PC tools and original firmwares to work with the hardware mod. And aside from that, I'll be adding an "Upload EXE file to PSX" function in next no$psx debugger update (and include some installer software for burning a custom firmware to the carts flash memory).

And voltages, no need to care about those. All cheat devices (both Xplorer and Action Replay families) are running at 5V, so they are working just fine with parallel ports. The only voltage issue is that the PSX expansion port wants 3.5V signals, but the cheat device manufacturers have just ignored that issue, but as far as I know it's working without problems anyways.

kruuth
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kruuth » September 1st, 2016, 10:18 am

Ok. So I have a caetla flashed action replay. From what you wrote I can plug directly into the parallel port on the pc and send from there. Is that correct? This is mainly to send cheat codes.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » September 1st, 2016, 10:46 am

No, the Xplorer/Xploder/Xterminator carts are working with parallel ports. And also Action Replay "PAR3" carts (but my impression is that those ones are quite rare).
Everything else (Action Replay, Game Shark, Equalizers, etc. etc.) requires Comms Link card (or the adaptors/mods mentioned above).

kruuth
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kruuth » September 1st, 2016, 11:32 am

I see. Does someone sell one or something? Unfortunately I sing have the skills to make one myself.

kruuth
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by kruuth » September 1st, 2016, 11:37 am

Or better, is there a way to load codes via the memory card ports or something?