Programming a Loading Screen? (Not a Background)

General Programming help in C, C++ or ASM, Compiling / Debugging, and R3000A Central Processing Unit (CPU) information
MrQuetch
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer and artist.
Motto: You can accomplish anything.

Programming a Loading Screen? (Not a Background)

Post by MrQuetch » February 16th, 2020, 6:53 am

I've tried looking for other threads about this topic on this website. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places... If I have been, please let me know. Anyways, I've been reading the LIBREF46.PDF file lately. I've noticed there are functions for initializing different libraries, and I'm not exactly sure what libraries are needed for doing this - even after reading about them.

More specifically, I want to read files off a CD. I want to show a loading bar, and print the text of what file is currently being read. Drawing the bar and text should be easy enough, but I'm uncertain of how to 'move' the bar as it reads the data. I'm going to make it very clear that I'm programming a game - not an application.

Would it be best to use the libds system? From what I understand, it's the extended CD-ROM library. Or, would it be better to use the ISO-9660 file system, which manages access to the CD-ROM? They both sound like they could do what I need. But, I'm honestly not sure - and if one works better for a game or an application.

I guess one important thing I should know already is this... How do I put a file on a disc? Thank you in advance.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm

You got a lot of learning and looking at example codes ahead of you. Use the forums to search and find programs already written or look at the examples in the 'Homebrew' section on the website.

Use a VSync callback to display what is being loaded or to show a loading bar. LibDS is quicker then LibCD, but it's a nightmare to use. Best to stick with LibCD :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

MrQuetch
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by MrQuetch » February 16th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Shadow wrote: February 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm You got a lot of learning and looking at example codes ahead of you. Use the forums to search and find programs already written or look at the examples in the 'Homebrew' section on the website.

Use a VSync callback to display what is being loaded or to show a loading bar. LibDS is quicker then LibCD, but it's a nightmare to use. Best to stick with LibCD :)
Yea... You're right. I should download every PS1 source code I can get my hands on, and go through everything little by little. I guess I'm just too quick to get a game up and running. :(

ArthCarvalho
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Artist, Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-103

Post by ArthCarvalho » February 17th, 2020, 3:50 am

Shadow wrote: February 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm You got a lot of learning and looking at example codes ahead of you. Use the forums to search and find programs already written or look at the examples in the 'Homebrew' section on the website.

Shadow, what kinds of problems does LibDS have? I recently switched from LibCD to LibDS but I'm currently only using the high level functions (CdRead/DsRead) so I didn't get to experience any problems with it yet.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 17th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Read the documentation. It explains what one of the key issues is when programming it :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

ArthCarvalho
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Artist, Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-103

Post by ArthCarvalho » February 17th, 2020, 10:48 pm

I've been reading the documentation a lot, but I don't think it came up with anything related to this yet (so it is probably at some document I didn't read yet), could you point out which documents have any information about this?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 18th, 2020, 1:15 am

LIBOVER47.PDF

MrQuetch
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by MrQuetch » February 18th, 2020, 6:43 am

Shadow wrote: February 18th, 2020, 1:15 amLIBOVER47.PDF
Thank you for pointing this out. I have only been reading the LIBREF46.PDF file. Hopefully things start making more sense.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » June 7th, 2020, 4:42 am

Have you ever finished a working loading screen?
Wanna see it!

Cheers

MrQuetch
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by MrQuetch » February 18th, 2021, 4:43 am

inc^lightforce wrote: June 7th, 2020, 4:42 am Have you ever finished a working loading screen?
Wanna see it!

Cheers
Hi, inc^lightforce. Sorry for the late reply. No - I didn't even get close. My schedule got very busy, but has since toned down a bit. I've set up some goals for this year, and have assigned different programming task to do each month. I think I may have something at the end of the year, as I plan to tackle the CD portion later.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » January 11th, 2023, 3:35 pm

so, what's the problem to show off a different screen? i managed this in 1998. if your post is still important, leave a massage. help is behind the next corner ;)