No streamed audio (hardware problem)

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Haijo7
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Discord: haijo7

No streamed audio (hardware problem)

Post by Haijo7 » February 7th, 2024, 12:08 am

Hello everyone. I just created my account so apologies if I do anything incorrectly.
I recently bought a Playstation (SCPH-1002), but it appears to have some water damage.
At first glance the systems appears to work the way it should, it had some trouble reading discs, but I swapped the drive with that of a newer model (SCPH-102).
It reads discs properly now, but streamed audio in games doesn't work. And that is the only thing that doesn't work.
Sound effects work, midi-like music works, music CDs play, the startup sound plays.
This was already an issue before I swapped the drive, I initially thought this was caused by reading errors.
I tried cleaning the motherboard using 96% alcohol, but the issue persists.
I found a thread on this website from someone having a similar problem with a different model 10 years ago.
The issue there was a dry solder joint on a specific chip, but I don't think that chip is present on this model.
This is the thread I found: ( viewtopic.php?f=24&t=616 )
Is there a different chip responsible for this type of audio on my system, and could that chip perhaps have a dry solder joint?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
The console never had a modchip installed. Although the console had been opened up before, the RF shield had never been removed until I cleaned the motherboard.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 7th, 2024, 7:33 am

When you are saying streamed audio, do you mean compressed XA-ADPCM (as used for audio in most cut-scene movies)?

Apart from the decompression, there isn't much of a difference between streaming XA-ADPCM and CA-DA from music CDs. So it's very weird that one works, and the other doesn't.

The other thread that you have linked to appears to be about broken SPU sounds, which is the opposite of what you have described, so I don't think that the SPU-RAM (IC310) could be related to your problem.

But anyways, of course you do have a SPU-RAM chip on your mainboard. Check the pinout and component list chapters in psxspx for alternate part numbers of the different chips.

Btw. what exactly does water damage mean, how does that look like?

Haijo7
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Haijo7 » February 7th, 2024, 9:00 am

Yes, I mean the music usually used in cutscenes. For example, the intro cutscene in Silent Hill has no music, but most music in Final Fantasy VII works just fine.

As for the water damage, there is some rust on the RF shield and some white powder on the bottom of the motherboard.
From what I've heard, this powder is either corrosion or residue from flux.

I think this is where I need to look?
( https://psx-spx.consoledev.net/pinouts/ ... pu-pinouts )
This is all kind of new for me, but I assume i should try to re-flow the solder then the SPU chip

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 7th, 2024, 9:40 am

Haijo7 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:00 am I think this is where I need to look?
( https://psx-spx.consoledev.net/pinouts/ ... pu-pinouts )
Sorts of, that's some older/inofficial hack. The official doc is here http://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm
Either way, if you search for something like IC310, the doc should contain part numbers of the actual chips (especially useful if your board doesn't have a text layer).
Haijo7 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:00 am This is all kind of new for me, but I assume i should try to re-flow the solder then the SPU chip
I would doubt that the problem is SPU related, as far as I remember the SPU can't even distinguish between CD-DA and XA-ADPCM.

More probably, it's something related to the CDROM chips...
1) worst would be a broken audio-decompressor inside of one of the cdrom chips, I guess that's unlikely (and you couldn't do much about it).
2) then there's the 32Kbyte SRAM (IC303), that serves as generic cdrom data buffer, and audio decompression buffer (maybe a cold solderpoint on that chip could break the audio... whilst somehow leaving the generic cdrom loading intact).
3) the only other thing I could think of would be a broken solder point or missing signal on one of the cdrom controller chips (in case there are any signals that are solely required for audio decompression).

Or otherwise, it might be some basic issue like unstable power supply voltages.

I wouldn't worry about rusty shielding plates. And the white powder... and I don't know... drugs?
Flux is usually transparent/brown (unless you scratch it off, then it becomes white).

Haijo7
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Haijo7 » February 7th, 2024, 10:05 am

Thanks for the help, then I'll try to find the IC303 chip on the motherboard and reflow the solder. Same goes for the cdrom controller chips.
If that doesn't work I'll borrow a playstation from a friend to swap the power supply and see if it makes a difference.
I'll post again when I make some progress.

Haijo7
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Haijo7 » February 12th, 2024, 1:11 am

I have a PU-8 motherboard. I understand that this model is supposed to have the HM62W256LFP-7T chip on the bottom side, but it doesn't have this chip. I did find a chip labelled KM62V256CL6-7L. Looking up the parts number for the chip lead me to believe this is also an IC303 chip, as it is also 32Kx8 SRAM. I can't find anything about this chip on PSXSPX. Someone helped me resolder the legs on this chip, but the problem persists. After this we resoldered the legs on the BA6397FP (IC722) chip. This didn't do anything either.
Could it be related to a CDROM decoder chip? I'm kind of lost. I have yet to try a different power supply, though I doubt that's the cause because everything else works properly.
I can send a few pictures of the motherboard later if that helps.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 12th, 2024, 12:52 pm

Yes, KM62V256CL6-7L should be the same. I'll add that as another known chip in psxspx.

The XA-ADPCM decoder chip would be CXD1815Q (Decoder/FIFO), but I don't know if/which/if any pins could cause ADPCM problems. I would rather not mess with that chip, or first check the CXD1815Q (or CXD1199AQ) datasheet if it does actually have ADPCM related pins.

I still think that the missing XA-ADPCM problem is a bit weird. Could it be something else, like left/right audio cable(s) not being properly connected, or using CDRs with improperly burned audio sectors (in case you have meanwhile installed a modchip)?

Haijo7
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Haijo7 » February 12th, 2024, 1:13 pm

I'll look at the data sheet a little more and try to figure out what other chips are related. I don't think the cables are the issue, it happens with both the multi out and RCA connectors. The cables I've tried do work on other systems.
I don't have a modchip, but I do use tonyhax via freepsxboot. However, this issue also occurs on authentic discs (without the tonyhax memory card inserted).
The authentic discs work properly on other systems like the SCPH-102 I mentioned in my first post before swapping the disc drive, my ps2 and my ps3.

Haijo7
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Haijo7 » February 15th, 2024, 9:56 am

I decided to buy another playstation, it was missing a few screws and the disc drive was broken. so I swapped the drive around with the one that has broken audio. I'll keep the broken one as a parts system for now, maybe I'll manage to fix it sometime in the future if it's fixable.