PS1 Soft Reboot?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
srs2236
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

PS1 Soft Reboot?

Post by srs2236 » June 29th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Hello! New member here.

First off, sorry for flooding with posts today, however i feel that this is the last thing i'm curious about today :)

Anyway, what do you guys think about PS1 being able to go from a ingame state to completely rebooting to BIOS initial startup? I bet this isn't easily achievable, but wouldn't this be cool if for example PSIO could do this? On their features page they state - "To select a new software image, simply hit ‘Reset’ on the console and re-select an image from the Menu System."

I know this is possible, because one of the Wipeout demo builds from a PlayStation UK Magazine disc does this, you launch the disc and there is usual multiple of games which you can play, and usually they supported the feature to press Select+Start to quit the game, however for the Wipeout demo available on the disc if you pressed Start+Select (it could be there was a quit demo option available, as it was some time ago i dont remember) it would show an outro and shortly afterwards reset the entire console to BIOS bootmenu and would, well, launch the demo disc again if you don't take it out or whatever. Sorry, I don't remember which Wipeout series it was or which demo disc it was, as it was a long time ago, however i still have the disc and could test and provide more info, if this is of interest to anybody.

So, is this too hard to implement and not even worth it kind of situation or does it seem quite interesting to anybody? When i initially saw it i was quite amazed that something like this is even possible. Does anybody have more info on this? Is this a feature of the Psy-Q SDK? I guess if so, then it would be impossible to implement to other games? Maybe it could be implemented to other games using somewhat of a similar method that scene groups like paradox and others used for trainers? Where some code would be injected in the games main executable and maybe provide the reset function.

Well, i just thought this was quite interesting topic and maybe someone can elaborate on this more. Maybe this is well known around the developer scene that i am not aware of. Anyway it would be cool to hear other opinions on this and sorry if this is too offtopic.
Thanks! :)

NITROYUASH
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Game Designer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by NITROYUASH » June 30th, 2019, 12:34 am

Found this in Psy-Q:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MihaiGamerXD
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by MihaiGamerXD » August 20th, 2019, 6:28 am

NITROYUASH wrote: June 30th, 2019, 12:34 am Found this in Psy-Q:
I tried this code, but it crashes!

Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 20th, 2019, 6:59 am

Yeah, it's bugged I think. Don't use it. Just jump directly to the BIOS address instead.

Code: Select all

((void (*)())0xBFC00000)();
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

MihaiGamerXD
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by MihaiGamerXD » August 20th, 2019, 7:13 am

Shadow wrote: August 20th, 2019, 6:59 am Yeah, it's bugged I think. Don't use it. Just jump directly to the BIOS address instead.

Code: Select all

Thanks Shadow, it worked, and thanks for the fast reply!
I was just curious to see what happens. Anyway thank you.
I'm going to use this code for my demo game.

NITROYUASH
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by NITROYUASH » August 20th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Thanks, it's working much better than the _boot command.

Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 21st, 2019, 4:05 am

NITROYUASH wrote: August 20th, 2019, 9:02 pm
Yeah, I'm not sure why _boot doesn't work. It might be worth dissembling the library to see what it's doing.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

NITROYUASH
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by NITROYUASH » August 21st, 2019, 4:16 am

Shadow wrote: August 21st, 2019, 4:05 am
NITROYUASH wrote: August 20th, 2019, 9:02 pm
Yeah, I'm not sure why _boot doesn't work. It might be worth dissembling the library to see what it's doing.
It's works for me, but some parts of the game after _boot doesn't work correctly. I didn't test it so well because i just resetting the console/emulator when i need to restart the game.

pyroesp
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by pyroesp » October 18th, 2019, 4:29 pm

For those interested I made a (hw) reset mod :
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3494