Need a few pointers please

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Need a few pointers please

Post by LISgame » November 18th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Hello,

I stumbled on some clips on youtube about Playstation development.

I wanted to get some information, I saw a tutorial which was basic, 2D. Recorded by a dutch guy, from over a year ago now. Perhaps some may of seen it. He created a pong game, it just needs to be sent to a recordable cd in order to play it.

I own an old XP system, as well as a PSone. So I'm half way there. I don't know C.

What I do want to know, I have a blender model file, low poly. Is it possible to get that to display on an emulator, with some textures. Just how would that work out? The software that would of have made model objects is more or less long gone, so I don't see how it can be done to export file for the PS? Alternatively I have some 2D bitmap images. So a 2D space shooter. ;)

Thank you.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » November 18th, 2017, 10:53 pm

was it wituz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFu0iYa ... FxC61Tt-Xv

Unless you have a computer science or programming studies, I don't recommend it and if you do, it still a big learning curve :oops:
It's not fun and pretty useless!
IMO, try unity3D :mrgreen:

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 19th, 2017, 3:45 am

Hmm,

Is it not possible to load a 3d model onto a disc to display the PS? As if it were in blender, with a background to highlight the model, so it can be distinguished.

Is there no example? I have seen a few games on here, but they are for the emulator, I don't know if they could be ported for a PS system.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 19th, 2017, 12:23 pm

You can't just stick a blender file on a CD and expect it to run on the PSX like a blender environment. You need a lot of code to do it, and even so, the PSX can't do such a thing, and even if you managed to get such a GUI working, it'd be extremely slow and cumbersome. Maybe you meant can you export the blender file as a 3D object to be rendered on the PS1, in which case, yes, you can do that of course (that's how 3D games were made on the PS1), but if you're interested in going down that path, then you'll need to learn C, check out the Sony examples and use the 'Search' function here on the forums to find out how to create the correct data for use with the PS1 architecture. The PS1 isn't like a modern day compiler or system either. Every little detail and thing you do to the system must be taken into account for. That includes optimised code for speed and memory management. It isn't easy, and it takes a lot of time and effort to learn how to do it. As an example, the compiler may pass one part of code, but the entire thing could break the program you're executing and or working on.

Also, games that run on a PSX emulator do run on a real console. Please stop asking silly questions. I'm sorry, but this forum isn't meant for new people who just got a puter the other day. My advice is to take it down a notch and learn some C first.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 19th, 2017, 2:28 pm

I followed the tutorial I saw, I downloaded the example code he had made of which is a box that moves. My xp system has the emulator working, and what he had done.

Okay, so C is the obstacle here, and yes I mean display the model as if it were a game? Yes obviously, I don't mean create a render program on a PS.

Hmm, well just where is this type of example code? I was thinking, well okay this code displays a box, so I'm going to need to get that to display a file which is a 3d model, beyond that I don't know. It won't be like linking in an image.

I just noticed, the games available are 2D from the looks of it via the demo page. There is the Oddworld mini game, I recognise that game.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 19th, 2017, 4:09 pm

\Sample\Graphics\TMDVIEW
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » November 19th, 2017, 9:41 pm

LISgame wrote: Okay, so C is the obstacle here..........
C is the least of your concern, C is very common & easy to learn (it's a very small and simple language).
The complexity is in
* learning the hardware (yes, you will have to learn how PS RAM works (stack, heap, etc), VRAM (textures, resolutions, etc), Pads, etc, etc, etc,
* learn how to program the hardware via proprietary API :naughty or a public domain one like psxsdk
* learning the build system, ie, make, compiler, linker, remote debugger, testing on emulator/hardware, and automation via scripting etc etc

Trust me when I say, you're entering a world of old school hurt here :lol: :?

But here's another 3D viewer :ugeek:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=626

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 20th, 2017, 5:08 am

Hmm.

As for the PS hardware, I don't know about that. Okay, the link about the 3D that is the objective here. To get a model to appear like in those examples on the PS, after having send the file to a CDR. That is my first goal.

So the blender plugin should convert a textured model into a new file, and then using the CMD to create a tmd file? I gather from reading that page.

I tried exporting, using the RSD plugin for blender, not sure what this error means, I guess it could be the model makeup has too many faces?

As for any animation from a character? I guess that is another subject.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.