[Help] Building from source.

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Kneesnap
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1000

[Help] Building from source.

Post by Kneesnap » September 22nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Hello. I have the source code to an old PSX game (Frogger: He's Back), and I wish to build it. I have several questions. How would I go about building this for the PSX, and how would I go about running it? Do I need a PSX Devkit, or will an emulator suffice? Does anyone have a copy of Visual Studio 97? I'm having trouble finding it online. What tools do I need to build the code?

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » September 22nd, 2017, 9:06 am

How would I go about building this for the PSX
with a psx compiler and libraries

, and how would I go about running it?
with an emulator or modded psx

Does anyone have a copy of Visual Studio 97? I'm having trouble finding it online.
try archive sites, but you dont need VS

What tools do I need to build the code?
Click the download link on the header and get it all, read it all and do it, it's that easy 8-)

I realise, today, programming is made out to be the easiest thing on earth and everyone can do it if they want.
But your not in kansas anymore, dorothy :lol:
I hope you have a computer science background :crying

I have several questions too.
How do you know it's PSX source code?
Where did you get it from?
Why isn't it up on github.com?

Kneesnap
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Kneesnap » September 22nd, 2017, 11:35 am

After a couple hours of searching today, I found the IDE used. Right now I'm updating the paths in the build + project files, before I load up the project. I think I may getting closer to getting a compilable build. I have a new question now.
I've installed PSYQ, however one of the references to it in the makefile seems to be a file I don't have (ASM_INCLUDE = C:\PSX\INCLUDE.40). Where would I get this file? I don't think it was something specific to this game since it's in the PSYQ directory, however I could be mistaken.
gwald wrote:How would I go about building this for the PSX
with a psx compiler and libraries

, and how would I go about running it?
with an emulator or modded psx

Does anyone have a copy of Visual Studio 97? I'm having trouble finding it online.
try archive sites, but you dont need VS

What tools do I need to build the code?
Click the download link on the header and get it all, read it all and do it, it's that easy 8-)

I realise, today, programming is made out to be the easiest thing on earth and everyone can do it if they want.
But your not in kansas anymore, dorothy :lol:
I hope you have a computer science background :crying

I have several questions too.
How do you know it's PSX source code?
Where did you get it from?
Why isn't it up on github.com?

Haha, yep. I have a CS background, but this is my first time diving into something this low level. I've stayed in the luxury of Java and other high-level languages up until now. I'm willing to learn this though.

1)
It's actually both the Win95 + PSX source code. Wherever the code varies an #ifdef WIN95 is used. This code backup was
from before the PC Build was finished, but after the PSX build was completed, so I'm focusing on the PSX build instead of the windows build.

2) I got it directly from one of the developers who worked on the game.
3) It is, however one of the conditions of him giving it to me was me not sharing it, so the repo is not public.

Someone
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Someone » September 22nd, 2017, 9:56 pm

Kneesnap wrote:PSX game (Frogger: He's Back)
Oh, I remember this game, it has very poor controls and not fun to play because of lackluster game design. Frogger 2 was a lot better and very enjoyable, but it was made by another developer studio.

Kneesnap
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Kneesnap » September 23rd, 2017, 1:47 am

Someone wrote:
Kneesnap wrote:PSX game (Frogger: He's Back)
Oh, I remember this game, it has very poor controls and not fun to play because of lackluster game design. Frogger 2 was a lot better and very enjoyable, but it was made by another developer studio.
Haha, I own every "major" Frogger game, including that one. It's either a great or terrible game depending on who you ask. I personally really enjoy it, but I can understand why some people don't.