Kernel space memory dumps from Caetla and DTL-H2000 development environments

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Kernel space memory dumps from Caetla and DTL-H2000 development environments

Post by LameGuy64 » April 17th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I've made some dumps of the PlayStation's kernel area (the first 64K) with Caetla and the DTL-H2000 with the SN and CodeWarrior development environments. These dumps may contain hooks and stubs for development purposes (such as printf, PCDRV and debug) and will surely be interesting to analyze.

I would've liked to dump the unpatched kernel space of the DTL-H2000 but I have no way of dumping it as far as I'm aware unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » June 25th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Turns out the kernel dumps I made didn't really offer much in the way of interesting things in how these debug environments worked. However, I discovered that in the SN kernel had a breakpoint vector pointing to an expansion region starting at 1FA00000h. As it turns out the H2000 has an additional 1MB of memory mapped to that address and is where the SN debug environment is stored.

Attached is a dump of that memory region. I haven't analyzed it much so I'm not sure if this is a completely valid dump or not. I also have yet to dump the region with Codewarrior running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.