Hack PSX-USB dual adapter due to max current limitations

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
carlo.vanoni
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by carlo.vanoni » September 23rd, 2014, 1:26 am

Shendo wrote:Don't forget that connector has two vcc pins, a 3.3 V one and 7.6 one.
Yep. In my posts I've called "Vcc" the 5V for the controller, "Dual shock pin" (or similar...) the 7.6V pin. Probably not the best "naming convention", but all my test results are logged this way.

Since I'm updating, ...update!
I've (finally!) received my second adapter, so I have an original one on my hand. I will test it at home. I suppose that I'll get the scenario described in my first post. If I still have dual shock problems with the non-sony controller, I will test the controller with my PlayStation, to check if something has gone wrong during my tests and I broke something. But this may take some time (PlayStation still at parents' home. I don't even have a TV in my place...)

carlo.vanoni
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by carlo.vanoni » September 23rd, 2014, 4:56 am

Shendo wrote:Don't forget that connector has two vcc pins, a 3.3 V one and 7.6 one.
Of course. In my previous test logs, I referred to the Rubble 7.V pin as "Dual Shock pin", "Rumble voltage pin", ..., while I've always called the controller voltage supply pin (3.3V/5V) as "Vcc".
I didn't do anything to the Dual Shock voltage pin. Just the Vcc pin was hacked.

Finally, I've got my new dual adapter, so I've tested again the controllers in the original state.
The Sony controller behave like the original scenario (vibration switch off the analog control, when tunrning on the non-Sony controller analog, Sony controller analog switches off). The non-Sony controller works well, but this time there is no vibration. I think I've screwed someting...
I will test the non-Sony controller with the PlayStation, to check the Dual Shock functionality. It will take a while, since my PS is stil at my parents' (an I don't even have a TV in my place).

EDIT: ups... didn't check the new page... I thought I didn't actually post my previous reply. Sorry for the almost-double post.

carlo.vanoni
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by carlo.vanoni » September 26th, 2014, 4:18 am

The controller dual shock works well on the PlayStation. So it is alive. Time for some measurements...

carlo.vanoni
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by carlo.vanoni » September 26th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Bah. Non news about measurements. On the adapter all voltages are as previously described. I measured the PlayStation outputs, and they follow the desciption on the previously shared link (http://pinouts.ru/Game/playstation_9_pinout.shtml).
Next test, use a voltage regulator instead of a diode. (I have to buy one)

Just a note, that maybe let you think about something. The non-Sony controller vibration have doesn't work anymore with the adapter, as said (but works correctly on the PlayStation). Also, I've noticed that is kinda hard to activate the analog control; I repeatedly press the button, but analog sometimes simply won't turn on (gamepad buttons are correctly detected by PC). This is probably related in some ways to the dual shock problem.

Other thing.
I scaled the voltage of Vcc using the diode. Now Vcc is ~4V. BUT the adapter controller is probably still working at 5V, so data/clk/... signals are 0-5V signals (I have to check with an oscilloscope if this is true). Can this lead to some problems?