Music Skipping? MultiAV OK, RCA Skipping.

General PSX CD Troubleshooting, PSX CD-ROM Mastering and Disc Creation
Studie
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Music Skipping? MultiAV OK, RCA Skipping.

Post by Studie » August 17th, 2023, 6:46 pm

Does anyone have this strange issue where the MultiAV port doesn't skip audio but the RCA plugs do?
I'm using the SCPH1001 as a CD player currently and I am trying to figure out why whatever I do to the trim and bias the cd keeps on skipping. I've already replaced the drive with a KSM-440BAM and the laser intensity is reading .224mw. It reads and plays absolutely fine when plugged into the multiAV cable but when plugged into the RCA Red and White it skips.
SCPH-1001

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 17th, 2023, 10:55 pm

That isn't possible, there is no real difference between the two audio connectors.

Are you sure that the cdrom is skipping? It might be as well bad audio contacts. Find a game that plays music even when removing the cdrom disc, and check if the "skipping" does still occur.

Bad contacts:
Check that the RCA cable isn't broken, check the solder pads of the RCA sockets aren't broken, check that the plugs are sitting firmly with good contact. There is a mono/stereo switch hidden inside of one of the RCA sockets, if the switch is dirty then it could randomly toggle between mono and stereo (or neither); some contact spray might help, or try to disconnect the plug if neccessary.

Cdrom skipping:
That's rather impossible to be caused by RCA connectors. Unless some obscure situations: Like connecting the RCA cable to a broken amplifier or TV set that happens to inject electrical noise through the RCA cable, or some mechanical problem where the weight of the RCA cable affects the mainboard or drive mechanics.