Psymake - Error reading sn.ini or psyq.ini

General Programming help in C, C++ or ASM, Compiling / Debugging, and R3000A Central Processing Unit (CPU) information
loltpily21
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Psymake - Error reading sn.ini or psyq.ini

Post by loltpily21 » October 29th, 2013, 10:58 pm

I am simply compiling some examples. Upon running psymake, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

C:\>psymake
PsyMake version 1.12  copyright SN Systems Software Ltd 1993
C:\psyq\bin\ccpsx.EXE -O3 -Xo$80010000 main.c -omain.cpe,main.sym,mem.map
Error - can't read 'sn.ini' or 'psyq.ini' config files - stopping.
Bad return code - make aborted
C:\>
I have checked, and both sn.ini and psyq.ini are in that same directory as psymake. I have ran the PSPATHS.BAT file already, multiple times in fact. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with ~761GB vHDD with ~722GB free and 2.0GB RAM (on a VM under Mac OS X 1.8.4, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 6.00GB memory, 500GB HDD with 11.31GB free).

I have searched high and low all around the internet and, after a day of no sleep or results :crying, I am finally deciding to post the issue that I am having to a forum. Is this a common problem? What could it be?

Thanks in advance,
Owen B. (loltpily21)

EDIT: 2min after original post
Darn it. I just realized there was a more appropriate board I should have posted this to.

jman
Rookie Programmer
Rookie Programmer

Post by jman » October 30th, 2013, 12:09 am

loltpily21 wrote:I am simply compiling some examples. Upon running psymake, I get the following error:
Hi, in which directory did you place the Psy-Q SDK?

Could the .reg file help you setting up paths? You can find it here ("Automatic Method"). It simply set all the paths and variables in PSPATH.BAT.

Warning: that .reg file assumes "C:\psyq" as the install directory for the SDK.

loltpily21
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by loltpily21 » October 30th, 2013, 2:23 am

jman wrote:
loltpily21 wrote:I am simply compiling some examples. Upon running psymake, I get the following error:
Hi, in which directory did you place the Psy-Q SDK?

Could the .reg file help you setting up paths? You can find it here ("Automatic Method"). It simply set all the paths and variables in PSPATH.BAT.

Warning: that .reg file assumes "C:\psyq" as the install directory for the SDK.
I installed it to "C:\psyq" . I set the variables, and now it says Access Denied. I typed "su" and did "psymake" and all turned out fine. Also, how do I make .elf files? I can use psymake to make the main.cpe and use cpe2x to make a PSX-EXE, but I cannot use it on my PS2. How would I compile main.cpe and get an elf?

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » October 30th, 2013, 3:26 am

elf is the ps2 executable, you can't use a psx devkit to do that. If you properly burn a psx cd it "should" still play on a modded ps2(note the "should" part), although I don't get why you don't just stick with an emulator :shrug

loltpily21
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by loltpily21 » October 30th, 2013, 4:08 am

Of all the searching I have done, I have found that a program called ee-gcc MAY
work, but I'm apparently missing a CABOODLE of .dll files, so I'm not doing that for right now.
Also, I guess that I should mention that I have a SCPH-90001 PS2 USA, SwapMagic 3.8 CD&DVD, and uLE. I think that it would be neat if I could convert the EXE file to ELF or compile the .CPE to make an .ELF... :D
Yagotzirck wrote:elf is the ps2 executable, you can't use a psx devkit to do that. If you properly burn a psx cd it "should" still play on a modded ps2(note the "should" part), although I don't get why you don't just stick with an emulator :shrug
Don't you think it's pretty sick to have your code running on the hardware that it was meant to run on? 8-)
(And I don't have too many blank CD-R's laying around. :/)

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » October 30th, 2013, 6:16 am

you just can't use uLE or any other program to launch psx executables, nor you can compile psx code to be compatible with it, it's just different code meant for different CPU/architecture. The way the ps2 achieves retrocompatibility is by switching its IOP(which is basically the psx CPU being used for I/O operations) to ps1 mode, which means that usb/firewire/expansion bay ports can't be used while playing psx games.
Long story short, the only way you can play psx games/executables on ps2 is by burning cds, thank sony for coming up with such a screwed up architecture :x

loltpily21
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by loltpily21 » October 30th, 2013, 7:49 am

Yagotzirck wrote:you just can't use uLE or any other program to launch psx executables, nor you can compile psx code to be compatible with it, it's just different code meant for different CPU/architecture. The way the ps2 achieves retrocompatibility is by switching its IOP(which is basically the psx CPU being used for I/O operations) to ps1 mode, which means that usb/firewire/expansion bay ports can't be used while playing psx games.
Long story short, the only way you can play psx games/executables on ps2 is by burning cds, thank sony for coming up with such a screwed up architecture :x
Then how come other people have been able to make an ELF for the PS2 successfully? I have a few ELF files on my USB drive, and they work perfectly. How did they, the developers of the ELFs I have on my thumbdrive, do it? :?

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » October 30th, 2013, 11:31 pm

It's because those .ELFs have been compiled with the open source PS2 toolchain and are targeted
for the PS2 architecture. Those weren't made with PsyQ devkit for PS1.

However, there is a way to reach a similar setup to uLE on PS1 and PS2 consoles where you
will be able to launch PS-X EXEs from the Memory Card.

It's called MCLaunch. I've tested it on PS1/PSone/PS2 and emulators and it's working fine.

The only downside to it is that you need to use a PS1 Memory Card which limits your EXE size to about 112 KB.

Once you download the archive you can use this guide to make a bootable image for your console.

After that you can use included "exe2card" to make an executable save which you will need to transfer to your card.
You can also use my MemcardRex to output a RAW file which you can transfer to your card with uLaunchELF.

I hope this will be useful to you as it's the only way to achieve what you asked.
If you get stuck on any step feel free to ask for any additional help.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

loltpily21
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by loltpily21 » October 31st, 2013, 5:27 pm

Shendo wrote:It's because those .ELFs have been compiled with the open source PS2 toolchain and are targeted
for the PS2 architecture. Those weren't made with PsyQ devkit for PS1.

However, there is a way to reach a similar setup to uLE on PS1 and PS2 consoles where you
will be able to launch PS-X EXEs from the Memory Card.

It's called MCLaunch. I've tested it on PS1/PSone/PS2 and emulators and it's working fine.

The only downside to it is that you need to use a PS1 Memory Card which limits your EXE size to about 112 KB.

Once you download the archive you can use this guide to make a bootable image for your console.

After that you can use included "exe2card" to make an executable save which you will need to transfer to your card.
You can also use my MemcardRex to output a RAW file which you can transfer to your card with uLaunchELF.

I hope this will be useful to you as it's the only way to achieve what you asked.
If you get stuck on any step feel free to ask for any additional help.
Do you know where I can find the open source toolchain?

jman
Rookie Programmer
Rookie Programmer

Post by jman » October 31st, 2013, 5:47 pm

loltpily21 wrote: Do you know where I can find the open source toolchain?
I think it's here:
https://github.com/ps2dev

Some time ago I gave it a whirl, compiled a small demo and run onto PCSX2 (and it worked)