Is it possible to use a PSone as a Dev Console?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Mr Rokobot
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Motto: Domo Arigato, Mr. Rokobot.
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7002

Is it possible to use a PSone as a Dev Console?

Post by Mr Rokobot » April 9th, 2024, 12:57 am

Hello everyone.
I have a PS one SCPH-102 PM-41 Board.
Would it be possible to use it as a Dev Console with for example a MemCard Pro?
Are there other methods?
I await your clarifications.
Development Console: SCPH-7002 with MM3 Modchip, PAL Color Fix, PSxMemCard 512GB SD with FreePSXBoot, Action Replay with UniRom.
Development PC: Windows 98 SE, QDI P6V693A/A5/133E (Advance 5/133E) Motherboard, Pentium III 450 Mhz, 768MB SDRAM.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » April 9th, 2024, 9:01 pm

With or without soldering?

Mr Rokobot
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Mr Rokobot » April 9th, 2024, 9:04 pm

If both are available, I have no problem.
Development Console: SCPH-7002 with MM3 Modchip, PAL Color Fix, PSxMemCard 512GB SD with FreePSXBoot, Action Replay with UniRom.
Development PC: Windows 98 SE, QDI P6V693A/A5/133E (Advance 5/133E) Motherboard, Pentium III 450 Mhz, 768MB SDRAM.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » April 10th, 2024, 7:53 pm

It's all working. And can differ on comfort, speed, capacity.

Without any soldering, you would need an exploitable game disc, and burn a bootloader to memory card. If you store your game/exe on memcard, too, then it could be max 100 Kbytes. I'd expect that each boot takes about 30 seconds (depending on how long it takes the game disc to start loading from memory card, where you may need to click away intro movies, etc).

With some soldering (=with a mod chip), you could do the same as above, but don't need the game disc, instead, when using a bootstub on CDR, it could probably boot within something like 10 seconds.

With more soldering, I am using this circuit: http://problemkaputt.de/psxspx-mods-noc ... upload.htm which can boot instantly within less than 1 seconds (plus the cable upload time, with may take up to 5 seconds when uploading a very large 2Mbyte executable).

It's all relative simple on the playstation side, the bigger problem is what you have on the PC side: Such like, tools for burning eproms/flash chips, for burning psx memory cards, and connectors for data transfers to psx.

Mr Rokobot
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Mr Rokobot » April 10th, 2024, 10:34 pm

Thank you very much for everything!
Would the exploitable game disc be like the Gameshark CD? Does it allow you to load a bootloader onto the memory card?

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » April 11th, 2024, 5:29 am

I am using cable boot, anyone else knows more about cdrom booting.
Gameshark cdrom might work, too. Although when saying exploitable game disc, I did of course mean a game disc, not that gameshark disc.