PlayStation (PSX) Development - Questions

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
PacoBelan
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

PlayStation (PSX) Development - Questions

Post by PacoBelan » July 3rd, 2021, 8:25 pm

Hi everybody!

As a developer I was always interested in developing games for older hardware, specifically the first PlayStation. Unfortunately, the homebrew scene doesn't seem to be very big on this platform.

So my questions are directed at PSX-devs.

- What SDK and tools do you use?

- Which tutorials do you recommend?

- What are your takeaways from developing for the PSX? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Xeauron
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: PSX Dev / Learner
PlayStation Model: SCPH 5502

Post by Xeauron » August 16th, 2021, 5:06 am

Hey, welcome to the forum :)

It's a bit dead around here currently but it's a great resourse none the less.

I'd suggest trying out the Net Yaroze SDK (which comes with documentation), then move on to either PsyQ or PSN00b SDK which I believe is still in active development.

If you an develop on real hardware I'd recommend it, not sure about developing on emulators as I've not done that myself. You'll need a serial cable to develop on real hardware, search the forum and there's details on how to make one, or I believe they may still be available for purchase.

Run through the code examples and documentation of the Yaroze SDK, the documentation and examples are a little inconsistent and there are gaps here and there on best practises when it comes to development, so you could either ask here or try to fill in the gaps with net searches which is what I've done.

The most difficult aspect to get running properly is the 3D, if you're planning on writing a 2D game you'll be up and running in no time, the 3D aspect is where all the info gaps are IMO.

this system hails from a time when 3D was still being figured out and DOS was still mainstream, so many of the tools are ancient.

The PlayStation expects its audio and graphics to be fed into the system in specific formats (detailed in the documentation) so I'd recommend installing a virtual machine for image and sound preperation, then you can use something like Dosbox for serial communication and Visual Studio Code for coding.

Allocate yourself lots of time, would be the most important piece of advice I could give you. I'd imagine a lot of people have started developing something on PSX but lost motivation when the sheer amount of effort required became clear.

I'm currently writing a 3D mapping tool that will allow me to texture map a large model or a whole level, as the old RSD tool is extremely lacking. First and third party developers had access to the artist and sound boards, which now cost an arm and a leg thanks to collectors, I'm looking to re-create at least some of that functionality in software as modern computers are monstrously powerful in comparison.

This involves writing a software 3D engine from scratch that can parse TIM files, read and write poly data in either RSD or TMD format (probably both depending), which will also further help me understand 3D.

Downside is that it takes lots of time, but is a bit of fun for someone like me.

I'm currently in the process of creating a 3D twin stick shooter, but with a full time job progress is a little slow and sometimes really frustrating for a lone developer. But i've no deadline so what the hell.

And finally, look into getting a PSIO - it has a USB port that will be able to upload PS-EXEs directly and has a built in debugger (Very useful/important!). As of writing this, the debugger and upload isn't working yet but should be soon as it's been in development for years at this point. I use PSIO to stream the Yaroze ISO and remote reset my dev PSX.

Best regards