Recommended Programs for stuff?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Musician Programmer Artist Guy
Motto: PSX all the way man!
PlayStation Model: ePSXe 1.6

Recommended Programs for stuff?

Post by danwesterhood » May 28th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Example: best program for 3d modeling, music, sound design, etc.

For 3d modelling, I've tried 3D Studio Max 3 and Lightwave 4.0/5.6
With 3DSM it was easy, although I hadn't quite completely understood it yet
With Lightwave, I can sum it up with one word: AAH
So what's the best program for use in this category?

Textures
I would prob use Photoshop 5, but are there any neato programs for this?

Music and Sound
Oh boy, my favorite category! I've heard some people suggest MilkyTracker for music, and while I am OK with trackers, they don't fit my preferred workflow (I have no synthesizers yet) and for Sound? I'm not quite sure what to use.

Video Editing and Cameras
I'd also use an Adobe product here as well, but if that doesn't work then please recommend some.
Also, I need a camera for real life FMVs but I think my best options would all be very expensive and rare.

Please do answer, I would like to know what is the best in these situations, and peace.

~danwesterhood
LSD dream emulator is my bae

ViLXDRYAD
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Avocado lover
Motto: FR E SH A VOCA DO
PlayStation Model: SCPH1001

Post by ViLXDRYAD » May 28th, 2018, 3:10 pm

hii, danwesterhood!

after a while using software, i got some favorites that are fairly some of the best choices now; these are my best recommendations:

for 3D modelling: Blender all the way! it's free, open source and the best modelling tool for years you can download it from here: https://www.blender.org/ and use PLY2RSD to export to a RSD Model http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=681 to later convert it to a psx model with Sony's tools inside the Psy-q SDK (if you haven't you can grab it from here http://www.psxdev.net/downloads.html )

for textures: depends on the style of the texture itself BUT if it's pixel art, IcoFX3 is easily the best, it's paid software (BUT you can grab a "Educational Purposes" copy if you search in google)

for music and sound: given you want to use XMPlay for playback, any of the best trackers for XM would do; OpenMPT, MilkyTracker and my favorite; FastTracker 2, 8bitbubsy made a windows/mac port that i use since the original FT2 is for MS-DOS, you can grab the port from here: https://16-bits.org/ft2.php also to note; XM is a module format, it uses only samples (small audio files) as instruments, not synthetizers = 3 (fun fact; two of my closest friends in the chiptune community main OpenMPT and one of them Milkytracker, matter of choices after all!)

though if you go for the amiga feel and want to use Hitmod for playback; i recommend either OpenMPT or my favorite: Protracker 2.3d, 8bitbubsy also made a port for windows/mac (what a guy!) you can download here: https://16-bits.org/pt.php , the original protracker is an amiga only tracker, so it's the most accurate one you can use, btw while MilkyTracker supports Mod output; i don't recommend using it as that feature is fairly buggy, it's still one of the best for XM tho

if you want to go with streamed music, i recommend you use a DAW like cubase or my favorite: fruity loops, and grab some vst plugins to compose; if you aren't too much into DAWs, i recommend you Renoise as it is an hybrid DAW-Tracker and it's pretty intuitive to make mindblowing high-quality sounds out of it for your compositions

for audio editing Audacity has no competition, it's free and opensource too, you can download it from here: https://www.audacityteam.org/

Psy-Q has build-in CD-DA/XA (streamed music format) support, though you may want to use the following playback routines in your project to add XM and/or MOD playback support
XMPlay: www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=358&p=11754
Hitmod: http://hitmen.c02.at/files/releases/psx ... tmod15.zip

for video editing: i'm not into video edition BUT one of my close chiptune community friends is daily into making YTPMV and do amazing stuff with it, she uses Sony Vegas and can tell is one of the best options for the output i see = 3 i'm not into cameras so unfortunately i can't give you a recommendation on that

that sums it up for me, please tell me if you have doubts on any of the software i recommended or anything else! i'd gladly answer! x3

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 28th, 2018, 3:41 pm

This will help quite a bit! I also am glad to know that there are ports of Protracker and FastTracker 2!
Although if it comes to streamed music, I was thinking something along the lines of ambient music akin to SAW 2 (great album, check it out!) but first, I would also need to work on some of my own musical projects when I have the time.

I say this because I don't know what time management is! :D

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 28th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Oh yeah I forgot
I'm going for like sort of real textures, but also not real textures
And some things that happened:
Blender 2.60 crashes all the time when I try to run it
Protracker port just made a .mod file and never ran

Of course this could be because I'm using Windows XP with a Pentium 4 and 1gb of ram and the fact it's really really old could be why, but, anyways!

ViLXDRYAD
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ViLXDRYAD » May 28th, 2018, 4:41 pm

i'm glad you found it helpful! x3 btw i'm not familiar with the SAW 2 movie's ost BUT i also think streamed music works best for ambient music

DAWs can achieve studio quality, (a brief background; they most use VST aka virtual synths/effects) so you may have to download one with the desired sound timbres to it, and tbh since i'm more of a chiptune/module guy i don't know much of VST synths BUT i look at this article when i look for one for an specific purpose http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm chances are one of these have the sound you look for! :D

also
danwesterhood wrote: May 28th, 2018, 3:41 pm I say this because I don't know what time management is! :D
same tbh ;-; lol
danwesterhood wrote: May 28th, 2018, 3:55 pm Oh yeah I forgot
I'm going for like sort of real textures, but also not real textures
And some things that happened:
Blender 2.60 crashes all the time when I try to run it
Protracker port just made a .mod file and never ran

Of course this could be because I'm using Windows XP with a Pentium 4 and 1gb of ram and the fact it's really really old could be why, but, anyways!
oh no! D: i can think of much reasons of why that could happen as both of them support windows xp and should run under those specs, as Blender specified here: https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/

Code: Select all

(Note: These requirements are valid for Blender 2.77 and later. However, Blender 2.76 and earlier still supports Windows XP and OpenGL 1.4 graphics cards.)
for protracker, try to run the other executable instead (there's one for the normal version and one that uses opengl), if that doesn't work; it may possibly be the following:

-The Visual C framework/DirectX they might be using isn't installed, look for "vcredist all in one" and download this for the directx one https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109
-An unstable custom OS version; versions of windows that implements updates/extra software/rip of some features may produce these crashes unintendedly, consider trying a retail/unmodified cd/iso
-Graphic/Sound drivers might be corrupted/non working correctly; try to reinstall them and double check they are intended for windows xp
-A bad bios flash; (WARNING: this is risky, consider it as your last option if anything else do) the same kind of crashing happened to programs when i had a bios flashed that wasn't specifically to the board i used, if you are unsure if you have the correct one, look into the official site of your motherboard's manufacturer, pick your motherboard model and download their latest bios, and flash as instructed there, be careful though as while it's flashing the process can't be interrupted (by low voltage, sudden power off etc) or your pc will brick, so please; only do this if it's the only option left and you accept the risk x-x

i hope this helps! = 3

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 29th, 2018, 3:12 am

by SAW 2 I meant Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 but anyways here's some updates:
Blender 2.49 was installed, and it informed I needed some Visual C++ 2008 redist and Python 2.6 so there's that
For ProTracker I don't quite see any OpenGL version on the site, but maybe it was removed, IDK.
The ambient music I'm considering also might involve using a bunch of tape loops (really neato but my explanation would be too long) so there's that. By the way, how would I play streamed music? Would I need to convert it or something?

Anyway, peace until I have to write another reply with whatever has happened before that!
~danwesterhood

ViLXDRYAD
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ViLXDRYAD » May 29th, 2018, 5:40 am

danwesterhood wrote: May 29th, 2018, 3:12 am by SAW 2 I meant Selected Ambient Works Volume 2
LMAO, my bad; never heard of it before, gonna listen to the album in a while!

also i didn't recall Blender 2 used python, i had python installed before so it didn't prompted me to install it; you can download python from here: https://www.python.org/downloads/ you can try any python 2.x version after that tho, python only changes some core stuff on 3.x so it might not work using a 3.x version tho =' 3

about protracker, it took me a while to realize there was two versions in the same folder too lol

don't mind the PT.CONFIG files, they are just optional gui color's customization files created in the amiga's equivalent version, the port can't create them BUT still supports one to be loaded at start, the one you want to load has to be named PT.CONFIG-00

about how to playback streamed music:
http://www.psxdev.net/help/psx_extended ... cture.html

also here's a topic on how to loop streamed music:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 471&p=3365

please update me if anything, i'd gladly try to help! x3

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » May 29th, 2018, 11:42 am

I'm surprised people are still using that outdated as heck ply2rsd tool I made ages ago. I made a Blender plugin that allows you to export to RSD format directly which is even better: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 707&p=9537

It also allows for multi-texturing. I usually use my own custom model formats and rendering routines these days as they are more efficient and easier to work with for me.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 29th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Oh wait, I think it's because you have an older version while I've been downloading the latest version from the site for the ProTracker thing.

Another issue I have is with using a pspaths.reg file I downloaded from here a couple of days ago.
I think I tried inputting every key within the file into the registry manually but I don't think that works.
And since I'm using Windows XP the included batch script doesn't work either :(

Have considered a Windows 95 VM in VMWare Player, and I'm gonna hopefully get a PS1 for my birthday so there's that as well!

EDIT: I can definitely confirm the OpenGL being removed thing because I downloaded an older version and there it was!

ViLXDRYAD
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ViLXDRYAD » May 29th, 2018, 2:06 pm

my bad, i wasn't aware of that the link had a newer version and that it just had one exe, btw do either in the older version runs? :D

also pspaths.reg just adds environment variables for psy-q, if you want to add them manually you can do the following:
Right Click on My Computer's icon > click on Properties > click on the Advanced tab > click on Environment variables > on the User variable section, click New and add the following variable name/value pairs:

Variable Name:PATH 
Variable Value:C:\psyq\bin

Variable Name:PSX_PATH 

Variable Name:LIBRARY_PATH 
Variable Value:C:\psyq\lib

Variable Name:C_PLUS_INCLUDE_PATH 
Variable Value:C:\psyq\include

Variable Name:C_INCLUDE_PATH 
Variable Value:C:\psyq\include

Variable Name:PSYQ_PATH 

Variable Name:COMPILER_PATH 

Variable Name:GO32 DPMISTACK
Variable Value:1000000

Variable Name:G032TMP 
Variable Value:C:\TEMP

Variable Name:TMPDIR 
Variable Value:C:\TEMP
click OK on all and you are good to go, btw i recommend windows 98 se better than windows 95 as it supports all psy-q sony tools and may perform better, also you may be able to run more other software than windows 95 lol you can get it here: https://winworldpc.com/download/3dc3943 ... a4e284a2ef

tell me if anything! x3

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 30th, 2018, 6:29 am

oh environment variables! ok ok that's a thing.
Yeah, I'll try Windows 98, but currently too tired to do much. :(
Also now with the old version the non-OpenGL version runs but it was just really confusing.

If this post is kinda sorta blar to my others, it's because I took a nap that was around 1 hour and 11 minutes, and when waking up from, made me kinda less cheery and more tired and bored.

Until next time and also if I can figure out joystick controls!
~danwesterhood

ViLXDRYAD
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ViLXDRYAD » May 30th, 2018, 7:13 am

yea, this is too much information to dig this fast tbh, take your time before going further x3

also may be that you don't have a graphic card installed? or maybe using an old integrated graphic card? that would explain why some stuff build in later opengl versions wouldn't run, perhaps the newest protracker had just the opengl version

also it's okay! x3 there's days and moods for everything one'd want/need to do

btw the xasample has a basic joystick support, i learned how to use it from there! :D i recommend to take a look at how it works, you have to add this to your project source code too:

#include <libetc.h>
until next time! i'm up to try to help whenever you need! also looking forward to dig what you make! :D

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 30th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Edit: I'm not using Rebirth RB338. I wonder if anyone else can suggest some neato programs for ambient music. More stuff that's kind of different from your average DAW or tracker.

It's nice to know that I can learn from XASAMPLE because there is a lack of tutorials for PSX homebrew.
Edit 2: Although, I don't know where this joystick support is.

A sneak peek at the thing I'm working on:
It's the year 2007 version 2, after the rebirthing of the universe. It's a sort-of dystopian future, where you can access people's memories using a specialized computer worth $70,000,000 dollars now. You are running the laboratory of this
experiment and have chosen 10 test subjects. You will see if you can modify their mind, no matter the consequences or repercussions. Oh, and the memories are definitely inspired by LSD: Dream Emulator. Can't wait to make it! :D:D:D
Last edited by danwesterhood on May 30th, 2018, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 30th, 2018, 4:13 pm

I came up with a mechanic and that is replacing memories of test subjects.
Is there a way to replace files on the PSX perchance? Actually, let me provide an example of the idea I have.

So let's say you're replacing Subject 7's 15th memory with their 31st memory which means they have a duplicate memory.
But what actually happens is that TS7MEM15.STR gets replaced with TS7MEM31.STR so it actually is a new duplicate file.

Same for the mechanic of deleting memories, where you could delete Subject 3's 24th memory, and TS3MEM24.STR gets deleted off the actual ISO/CD/whatever format? I know if I could port this to Windows, it would be easier, but how would this work on the Playstation, or am I dreaming insane ideas here? :| :geek: :shrug

reich
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by reich » May 31st, 2018, 1:41 am

You won't be able to edit files directly on the CD especially not from the PSX itself. What you could do however, is in RAM keep a list of pointers for each subject with each pointer pointing to a corresponding "memory" file on the CD. Whenever you want to "copy" a memory, you would just set the pointer of the file you want to replace to the file on disk of the file you want to copy. Deletion would be similar, you would just set the pointer of the file you want to delete to NULL or 0 and write some code to treat that file as "deleted".

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » May 31st, 2018, 2:03 am

Ok ok, that makes sense, and probably more easier than my idea.
I'm also wondering if it's possible to have different UI skins.
Probably, because you could program the UI first, and then have a shortcut to change the color, and have it go to the next texture and so on.

For that idea I was talking about I think it's because I was still thinking about some fourth-wall breaking games, so that's why. Pointers are probably better, but that brings up a bit of a limit. With my idea which is a pipe dream, it would have less of a limit on how many memories (of course a limit is the size of CD-ROMs but most of these would be short) and with pointers, I would definitely not want to have to go through a bunch of pointers to get to my code to edit it (the CD-ROM limit reamins unchanged) so I guess there's that.

I might try to do something easier first, like a prototype or a really crappy visual novel.

ViLXDRYAD
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ViLXDRYAD » June 1st, 2018, 1:28 am

danwesterhood wrote: May 30th, 2018, 3:04 pm Edit: I'm not using Rebirth RB338. I wonder if anyone else can suggest some neato programs for ambient music. More stuff that's kind of different from your average DAW or tracker.
i think there's some other options like Sunvox or Caustic 3 that doesn't look like either and can help you achieve great quality general-purpose compositions! x3
danwesterhood wrote: May 30th, 2018, 3:04 pm It's nice to know that I can learn from XASAMPLE because there is a lack of tutorials for PSX homebrew.
Edit 2: Although, I don't know where this joystick support is.
there's lots of examples on the C:\psyq\psx\sample folder too, you may want to check them out (though be aware that some sources there that uses data files such as music, videos, models or textures, may require you to use a serial cable connected to a developerstation hardware to run them BUT if you don't have that, you can stil compile and/or master them to iso and run them anyway) and use the search feature on psxdev forums to look for keywords of what you may need, chances are that what you want is answered, if it isn't; it would help you ask too! x3

about the basic joypad support code on xasample, here's all the code there you'd want to add to your project to accept basic joypad input:

//...
#include <libetc.h>
//...
int main(void)
{
//...
	int padd			= 0;
	int opadd			= 0;
//...
    // begin main loop
	while (((padd = PadRead(1))&PADk) == 0)
	{
//...
		if (opadd == 0 && padd&PADLright)
		{
			//if you press right on the D-PAD, the code here runs
			//...
		}

else if (opadd == 0 && padd&PADLleft)
		{
			//else if you press left on the D-PAD, the code here runs
			//...
		}
//...
	}
//... the while loop above runs forever on the xasample, so you may not have to add the following
	PadStop();
//... also return(0); goes here, it's just good practice to write
}
also PADLright and PADLleft aren't the only buttons you can use by using libetc,h, here's a list of other buttons libetc.h supports and what their number synonim:

L2 = PADL2 = 1
R2 = PADR2 = 2
L1 = PADL1 = 4
R1 = PADR1 = 8
Triangle = PADRup = 16
Circle = PADRright = 32
Cross = PADRdown = 64
Square = PADRleft = 128
Select = PADselect = 256
Start = PADstart = 2048
Up = PADLup = 4096
Right = PADLright = 8192
Down = PADLdown = 16384
Left = PADLleft = 32768
danwesterhood wrote: May 30th, 2018, 4:13 pm you could delete Subject 3's 24th memory, and TS3MEM24.STR gets deleted off the actual ISO/CD/whatever format? I know if I could port this to Windows, it would be easier, but how would this work on the Playstation, or am I dreaming insane ideas here? :| :geek: :shrug
the psx hardware can't "burn" or write data to a cd, you may want to create arrays and pointers to data you want to be used as "memories" for each person, and change the pointers of the "persons memories" to other's when you want to them to share, copy or delete theirs

if you aren't too familiar with C, i recommend the C++ Course in here http://sololearn.com/ (C++ and C code are identical, just that C++ has some other features/libraries and has object oriented features build-in)

EDIT:
LameGuy64 wrote: May 29th, 2018, 11:42 am I'm surprised people are still using that outdated as heck ply2rsd tool I made ages ago. I made a Blender plugin that allows you to export to RSD format directly which is even better: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 707&p=9537

It also allows for multi-texturing. I usually use my own custom model formats and rendering routines these days as they are more efficient and easier to work with for me.
is above me how i didn't notice that post earlier lol, thaanks a lot, man! :D gonna try it soon! x3

also yea, i hope this helps
Last edited by ViLXDRYAD on June 1st, 2018, 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » June 1st, 2018, 3:45 am

Yeah, I'm considering blowing off that idea but thanks for the tools and basic joystick support!
Considering it, it's not as game-like as I want it to be, but I have scrapped like maybe quite a lot of my ideas, so whatevs.

Another blah post, this time cause I'm really tired and something else is not supporting my code and yeah :P

ViLXDRYAD
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ViLXDRYAD » June 1st, 2018, 4:01 am

i think the idea is good, and there's virtually no limits of things you can code for the psx, while processors and ram can handle it which they most definitely can no matter how much graphic intensely you want to go, given it's optimized

there's no pressure at all, i'm to help whenever i see a doubt i can answer, is up to you if you want to code or not = 3 just be sure to not rush to prevent burnouts if you do, regardless; i look forward for what you can come with! x3

danwesterhood
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by danwesterhood » June 5th, 2018, 4:06 pm

I'm back again.
Mainly because I don't know how to compile anything!

And now for a list of stuff happening!
PSYMAKE gives me an Access denied
CCPSX makes no sense
I'm currently more focused on whether or not I can distribute ZDoom for another project I'm gonna do
I've been staring at computer screens for about 95% of the day
My eyes want me to sleep
Sonic's Schoolhouse is the devil
I have about 5 septillion projects going on at the same time

That's my life in a list right there.