Hi, I'm going to make a playstation game, but how ?

General Programming help in C, C++ or ASM, Compiling / Debugging, and R3000A Central Processing Unit (CPU) information
Merrolin
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Hi, I'm going to make a playstation game, but how ?

Post by Merrolin » June 12th, 2016, 9:47 pm

Hello, my name is Ronan, i'm brandly new to this forum, I'm french and i'm 14 y/o.
I'm interested to make a ps1 game on my, well, you guessed it, psx. But I essencially code on Blender Game Engine and I've searched everywhere how to export to .rom or something to grave it on CD.
But though, this is only a step for my 90's arcade machine that i'm working on, Home made, and working.
So to make this project possible, I need you guys to help me finally reach my goal !

Thanks for Reading,

Ronan.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 13th, 2016, 10:51 am

http://www.psxdev.net/help/psyq_hello_world.html

From there, start playing with examples from the PSXDEV 'Homebrew' page (here) to get 2D and 3D stuff working. Of course, look for the open source stuff people have submitted since you'll want to study their code and how the Psy-Q SDK works. It's not easy to make PSX games, and it takes a lot of code and time, but it's extremely fun and a great learning experience when you first start out.

If you don't know C, start here.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » June 13th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Hi welcome,
You wont find any drag and drop game engine for the PSX that will make a magic ROM build :lol: :clap
But check out this French guy actually made a PSX game:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=446
He also streams on twitch his PSX dev stuff :mrgreen:

Merrolin
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Merrolin » June 15th, 2016, 11:18 pm

Thanks a lot for the answers people !
I think i've finded a way and this is going to be the first time i'll code for real.
Also, i've finded an other program that also works on C+ but it's really difficult as I see (It's called psxsdk)
Actually I'm going to make a Tron-Like game, with really 80's-90's theme as you'll see on the arcade that i'm actually building.

So this is my actual state : :praise
Thanks to you !

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » June 16th, 2016, 9:59 am

Your either going to have a lot of fun problem solving or your going to get very frustrated and quit.
Which you do, is up to you