SCPH-1002 Issue - Help please

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
rotunda
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

SCPH-1002 Issue - Help please

Post by rotunda » January 20th, 2016, 10:05 am

I have an SCPH-1002 PAL model which is doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1FCRMRVyE

I know these models are prone to killing lasers, is there anyway i can fix this though or is it time for a new laser? :(

I actually have 2 of these, one which won't spin discs just clicks the other does what's in the video. Both SCPH-1002's

Any help greatly appreciated.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » January 20th, 2016, 1:41 pm

This French page might be of interest.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 20th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Squaresoft74 wrote:This French page might be of interest.
Excellent page.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

rotunda
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by rotunda » January 20th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Thanks yeah that is an impressive insight.

But what should I do with it? I can order x2 ACM's from eBay (china) but that will just be the same issue all over again. would one of the more reliable lasers fit? I see the PSone laser BAM has a similar cable I think i heard all you need to do is replace the plastic cover on the laser for it to fit?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 20th, 2016, 10:15 pm

rotunda wrote:Thanks yeah that is an impressive insight.

But what should I do with it? I can order x2 ACM's from eBay (china) but that will just be the same issue all over again. would one of the more reliable lasers fit? I see the PSone laser BAM has a similar cable I think i heard all you need to do is replace the plastic cover on the laser for it to fit?
The Chinese drives are refurbished units. Personally, I would just buy a PSIO.
Otherwise, a drive from a 7502 will work with modifications, but you may still have issues.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

rotunda
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by rotunda » January 20th, 2016, 11:32 pm

The Chinese drives are refurbished units. Personally, I would just buy a PSIO.
Otherwise, a drive from a 7502 will work with modifications, but you may still have issues.
Trouble is, I'm setting up this console for a world record attempt so the console needs to be original so no PSIO...

Does the BAM laser not work with the SCPH-1002?

aloram
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by aloram » February 6th, 2016, 3:35 am

I know that a lot of people have luck fixing a launch model by simply changing the laser, but I didn't. I recently bought a 1001, but it wouldn't read games properly, so I figured swapping in a good laser would fix it. I then bought a PSOne that was barely, if ever, used, and put its laser in the broken 1001. While it definitely improved the system's ability to read games, it had serious trouble with FMV. I tested the PSOne laser in the PSOne and in my 5501, and it works perfectly, so there's an additional problem with the 1001.

I wanted to let you know about my experience because, contrary to what I've read in certain forums, fixing a launch model Playstation isn't always as simple as just replacing the laser.

Traace
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Traace » March 19th, 2016, 2:54 am

aloram wrote:I know that a lot of people have luck fixing a launch model by simply changing the laser, but I didn't. I recently bought a 1001, but it wouldn't read games properly, so I figured swapping in a good laser would fix it. I then bought a PSOne that was barely, if ever, used, and put its laser in the broken 1001. While it definitely improved the system's ability to read games, it had serious trouble with FMV. I tested the PSOne laser in the PSOne and in my 5501, and it works perfectly, so there's an additional problem with the 1001.

I wanted to let you know about my experience because, contrary to what I've read in certain forums, fixing a launch model Playstation isn't always as simple as just replacing the laser.
The reason is that 1001 (2) Systems just ain't calibrate the laser by themself. For most users, stock settings are good for a newer PSOne Laser Unit, and the FMV shutter is gone. Maybe your preowner tweaked the calibration already, who will ever know? :D
+ As there is no auto calibration -> most CD-R runs worse compared to higher revisions of the console, even if they have the same laser swapped.
For the calibration part visit: http://dogbreath.de/PS1/LaserAlignment/Laser.html

My advise is to get a 550X or even a 555X + RGB Cabel. In my opinion they have a very smooth laser, and still offer great sound. Far better than the 75XX-9XXX-10X
Gaming Devices (Sony only):
PS1: 1xSCPH-7502 (Still unmodded)
PS2: 1xSCPH-70002 (FMCB)
PS3: 1xCECHG04 4.81.2 Rebug CFW