Getting the PlayStation online - Yes, the PSX

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Dangerboy
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Getting the PlayStation online - Yes, the PSX

Post by Dangerboy » September 7th, 2015, 3:01 pm

So a bit of elbow grease and we're 95% on the interwebs. Just need to figure out how to get it to open a web page. The Online Connection CD mystery is practically solved.

Game Page:
http://game-rave.com/?gamepress_reviews ... nection-cd

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3_cspRndY

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 7th, 2015, 3:40 pm

I asked you two years ago to dump this disc...
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=223

Anyway, when you dialled-out, you said that the PlayStation could not process and render live HTML code from the Internet. It would be very interesting to know if they actually coded and have a browser. I'm sure there would be some sort of a test routine or hidden debug menu that allows you to at least ping servers.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Dangerboy
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by Dangerboy » September 7th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Oddly enough, I tried to dump it (across several programs) but every time It wouldn't play at all, usually just displayed a garbled PSX boot screen. It's a goofy disc - the real version locks on boot up on a PS3, and the PS2 will not recognize the memory card file - doesn't even show in the PS2 memory card browser. Regardless, right now even if it was properly dumped, I don't think I'm ready to share it with the world in that manner.

I'm still exploring all it's nooks and crannies. :cookiemonster

As for the browser page, it would have to be able to render the html; all the disc's menus *are* html, and there are 6 links pre-programmed into the menu / drop down menu. It's just the Sega Net-Link disc in a new skin, and the Sega Net-Link disc still connects fine, so it's more than likely something weird with using a standard modem versus the proprietary ones. Once the other Anniversary stuff settles down, I'm hoping to spend more trial-and-error time with it.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 7th, 2015, 5:23 pm

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. There should be no reason for it to not dump. It does sound like it did in fact dump, but somehow the boot sectors got damaged. Nothing my PSXLICENSE tool can't fit by re-injecting the original license data. Actually, if I recall in the video, I saw on the disc "LICENSE*.DAT". That is quite interesting, and what they may be doing is comparing or using some of that license data directly (as it is a raw file from Sony's SDK), but I'm not sure how that would be possible as no code executes until the license data is valid and the kernel is setup.

As for the Memory Card problem, it's probably just poor programming logic, and the Memory Card file they created has not been created properly. It's too hard to tell without the file and then analysing the file itself and looking at the header.

Anyway, the code on the disc they would be using for HTML rendering would be poor, incomplete and very slow of course. The best way is to recode it today using newer libs from scratch, and use a TCP hardware network adapter over the parallel bus for high bandwidth. Either way, browsing on the PSX would be terrible. What would be really good is an FTP download library so that games or even generic files may pulled and streamed from a remote source other than a CD-ROM for development use.

That's a lot of work though. All in all, this is all for learning and experimentation.
Who the hell would buy a network adapter for the PSX, and who would actually go online with it.
Mobile phones in our pockets do that now at ridiculous speeds on insanely high resolution screens.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Dangerboy
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by Dangerboy » September 9th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Shadow wrote:That's a lot of work though. All in all, this is all for learning and experimentation.
Who the hell would buy a network adapter for the PSX, and who would actually go online with it
Historical significance would be pretty high up there.

CrybabyPSXFan
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by CrybabyPSXFan » September 9th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Shadow wrote:I asked you two years ago to dump this disc...

Anyway, when you dialled-out, you said that the PlayStation could not process and render live HTML code from the Internet. It would be very interesting to know if they actually coded and have a browser. I'm sure there would be some sort of a test routine or hidden debug menu that allows you to at least ping servers.
It seriously took you 2 years to realize the answer was no...?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 9th, 2015, 1:37 pm

CrybabyPSXFan wrote:
I'm seriously not going to answer that question...

CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by CosmoGuy » September 10th, 2015, 8:20 am

Shadow wrote:
CrybabyPSXFan wrote:
I'm seriously not going to answer that question...

Whoa, we got a badass over here. First peak of douchery on this forum imho.

John
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Computers repairman.
Motto: Impossible Is Nothing
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by John » September 11th, 2015, 7:24 pm

If i can help, i am in, i can adjust all the sort of HTML code in that Disc, to match the Interface environment or what ever that Disc will load, please involve me if i can help in anyway.

The Modem Interface will need a Server side and Client side right?
Its possible that Arduino Yun will do the job i guess? Just sending data through the parallel port... Of course, just for prototyping the modem idea, not to think that a well made Modem would be useless, instead i think this is a Great research project, and you should go ahead with this :clap

Sirrico
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by Sirrico » October 17th, 2015, 12:40 am

Reminds me of this project a few years ago. If they can get a calculator online, then it must certainly be possible to connect a ps1.

If I remember, some organization has a history of using arrays of playstation 2/3's to make a supercomputer!
-Sirrico

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » January 20th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Rather than hoarding it, would you at least sell the thing?