CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Dual Shock 2 - weird problem

Post by CosmoGuy » August 27th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Hi

My DS2 suddenly stopped working. I tried to clean it but it didn't work out so i plugged it into PS -> PC converter and found out, in Windows controller properties, that whole D-Pad and action buttons [triangle, circle, square and X] are pressed together. Only these.
Also i found out, that DS2 has some weird button placed on PCB between square and start button. Don't know what it is for. When i put there a rubber from the button [to cunduct it and test out on Windows's joystick driver] it turns off every button, until i take it off.

Overall i just can't use 5 year old original DS2, but i can use first Dual Shock from 99 :D. That's incredible but that damage pisses me off :/ My little brother loves to play with me gran turismo, tekken series and Army Men, and now we are not able to play xd.
Am i forced to buy new DS2? :/

Help appreciated as always,
Regards :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 28th, 2015, 12:14 am

DUAL SHOCK 2's (much like the later modelled DUAL SHOCK 1's) use a membrane combination.
Usually the oils from your fingers slowly work their way down to the silver printed conductive pads and deteriorate them. You can try taking it apart and giving it a clean with alcohol, but it's probably easier to just find a new or second hand one. Just be sure you get an original/official Sony DUAL SHOCK. There are lots of fakes out there ;)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by CosmoGuy » August 28th, 2015, 2:04 am

Actually I did clean these pads with alcohol like this one :>
https://leclerc.com.pl/sklep/img_items/b/020/2078.jpg
But it didn't help. This DS2 -is- original, i had it with my ps2 slim in a box.
Even if I buy new one, it will be from Sony.