PSX CD-Driver

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Whiskey
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

PSX CD-Driver

Post by Whiskey » August 16th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Hay, i have buy some cd-drivers and have some problem whit the seller, according to him you can´t use other drivers that the one that was in your playstation from the start.

Whit other words you need the same model on the one you replace, i do have this. But it case you don´t have im pretty sure you can in theory use any of those driver models in any playstation. Espect from that some connection cables are to long or to small, and the driver maybe not fit perfect.

But its nothing other that don´t make this working right? As the seller try to convince me that this is not the case. Here comes the original massage.

Code: Select all

The most important thing is that the part number should be the same, if your old lens is KSM-440ACM or KSM-440ADM, you can not use KSM-440AEM, the flex cables of these lens are different. No matter whether is SCPH-9002 or SPCH-1002 or SPCH-5502, as a engineer, he always change the lens according with the part number like KSM-440ACM or KSM-440ADM or KSM-440AEM, not according with SCPH-9002 or SPCH-1002 or SPCH-5502, can you understand? In a word, if your original is KSM-440ACM, you should buy KSM-440ACM, if your original is KSM-440ADM, you should buy KSM-440ACM, if your original is KSM-440AEM, you should buy KSM-440AEM
\Whiskey

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » August 18th, 2015, 3:36 am

Generally best to get the right laser, like he says.
You might have some luck with a different one... I have a later laser working in an SCPH1002 model for example, but it required cutting into the plastic to fit properly 'cause of the subtle difference in shape.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 18th, 2015, 8:50 am

sicklebrick wrote:I have a later laser working in an SCPH1002 model for example, but it required cutting into the plastic to fit properly 'cause of the subtle difference in shape.
+1
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Whiskey
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Whiskey » August 20th, 2015, 4:45 pm

sicklebrick wrote: Generally best to get the right laser, like he says.
You might have some luck with a different one... I have a later laser working in an SCPH1002 model for example, but it required cutting into the plastic to fit properly 'cause of the subtle difference in shape.
Well my point was that it should work whit any laser, on any playstation as long you don´t have the top on it, as it will get you problem whit how it fits as you say. Or is it more stuff that can make it not working whit the other lasers more then the way its fits?

\ Whiskey

Killer_Code
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Student
Motto: Keep It Short & Simple
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Killer_Code » August 20th, 2015, 6:16 pm

As far as i know all laser units compatible with every psx units. but some lasers don't fit into certain cases or the cable won't reach. i tried a KSM-440BAM (found in scph-10x units) with my fat scph-7502 psx and the only problem i encountered was the length of the ribbon cable.
It's not the amount of the ram. It's how you use it.

Whiskey
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Whiskey » August 24th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Killer_Code wrote: As far as i know all laser units compatible with every psx units. but some lasers don't fit into certain cases or the cable won't reach. i tried a KSM-440BAM (found in scph-10x units) with my fat scph-7502 psx and the only problem i encountered was the length of the ribbon cable.
That was exactly what i did try to confirm.

\ Lukasz

capsulej
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by capsulej » October 15th, 2015, 8:29 am

I would just ask him for a refund.