Datel's VMEM Addon (other questions too)

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » August 11th, 2015, 10:51 pm

If you want higher resolution pictures of it I can take some with my SLR, it does look like something custom as when I opened the hood to take the last pictures of it a quick search of the IC markings didn't turn anything up.

I also have another type of phone interface cable which came with a japanese game Keitai Eddie. Ill get some pics of that up too.

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » August 11th, 2015, 11:00 pm

danhans42 wrote:If you want higher resolution pictures of it I can take some with my SLR, it does look like something custom as when I opened the hood to take the last pictures of it a quick search of the IC markings didn't turn anything up.

I also have another type of phone interface cable which came with a japanese game Keitai Eddie. Ill get some pics of that up too.
sure ^^, i wasn't sure if it was asic. Make sure we can see the markings.

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » August 12th, 2015, 1:29 am

Check post further down ^^;
Last edited by CyrusDevX on August 13th, 2015, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » August 13th, 2015, 1:04 am

Here's an example of the smallest valid ROM... I can't quite get it to fit on a single page due to the way the licensing strings work, but if you get it to write properly it should keep the PSX in a boot loop (black screen) until you unplug it.
(maybe useful for testing)

Hopefully small enough to embed in a char array and doesn't use any of the ($1F06xxxx) registers which can be problematic on some devices.

Code: Select all

;Code inside the header. Yay.

opt	c+
		opt at+

org	$1F000000		;header, points to EP2
		dw	entryPoint2
		db	"Licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc."
		;Then some Empty Bytes

entryPoint1:
entryPoint2:		

;Jump to start of bios
		li t0,$BFC00000
		jr t0
		nop		

org	$1F000080		;0x80 points to EP1
		dw	entryPoint1
		db	"Licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc."
		;Then some empty bytes

Also, these docs any use to you? Maybe not but on the offchance it helps...

Xplorer schematic + registers, etc:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 368&p=3543

Goldfinger (AR Clone) details:
http://dreamjam.co.uk/emuviews/new/psx-gf.pld
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » August 13th, 2015, 4:55 am

Wow after going through some of ur msgs sicklebrick i found several clues on what to do on the C side of things ^^. So now im actually writing the raw data to the same 1mb buffer (0x80100000) etc.. will post back soon.
ye still no good xD. i apparently cannot write a proper pagewrite function in c... I also tried to figure out how u managed to patch xflash sicklebrick. As of now i just really want to install you unirom 0.24 onto the device XD

And yes those docs on the xploder are PEEEERRRRFFEECT! ^^. Thats enough for me to make a diy "diskette". I might use the nvsram (36pin, pretty much the same but roms probs need patching...)

Wow so after actually looking at the VMEM again. i noticed it has 1x GAL, 1x HC373A, 1x PIC12C508 and 1x DATEL D080 SL744; only on the vmem i seen so far. seems like a custom labeled storage ic? If so thats sooo much better then making my own card xD. Vmem supports 60 x 15 blocks of external storage with the native rom. the GAL might be setup to run the D080

i added some pics of my vmem and N64 GS pro boards.

EDIT: Yep the D080 is a 8Mb parallel flash/eeprom ic and is controlled via 12c508 mcu ^^
EDIT2: Attempting a Code protect hack on the 12c508 so i can get the fimware and maybe understand how it controls the D080
^ failed and possibly destroyed rom...
Also the unknown pin 65 on PIO is used by pin 7 on 12c508?

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » August 13th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Aww man your energy for this thing's infectious :D Just wish I could be more help, but I'm a wee bit lost on the hardware side of things - it's fun learning but time's a little tight :
My XFlash patch was minor at best - when it loads it just checks if one of the bytes in the scratch mem is 1/0 and enables/disables comms accordingly. The ROM idea might be a bit harder >.<
Since the other day I've decided to go through XFlash labelling every function (bit by bit), getting a clearer picture of things with your help.

Have you gone over your pagewrite function using two $80xxxxxx buffers to ensure the memory's reading and writing properly? You're not accidentally one character out, or missing a pointer/cast either side, or using the wrong data size or something? Is there some kinda sequence to re-'lock' the chip afterwards?

One cool thing I guess is that XFlash did detect your chip... I have a small, uhm 'litter' of PIO carts (don't judge) and without fail, if XFlash can name the chip it can flash it. If it gives a 2 byte identifier, it can't... so at least it found yours... and hopefully Datel didn't do some craziness to prevent/sabotage reflashing.

N64 board looks badass btw, never realised they had the DB25 on the back too. Could be a fun future project :D

Still focusing on SIO Flash? Any progress?

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » August 13th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Yep im still figuring out SIOFlash. not really any progress yet. And with the n64 GSpro u can basically make a n64 "homebrew" dev kit with just the gspro and a random n64 game ^^, ive done this to run a NES emu on the n64 lol

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » August 14th, 2015, 3:23 am

Surgery time! XD

Success! Running UniROM 0.24 !! lawl

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » August 14th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Witchcraft! How'd you get the little buggers off?

What did you do in the end? Flash externally?
Seriously though, congrats man... you stuck at it!

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » August 14th, 2015, 11:26 pm

sicklebrick wrote:Witchcraft! How'd you get the little buggers off?

What did you do in the end? Flash externally?
Seriously though, congrats man... you stuck at it!
i use a 1200w heat gun for ic removal XD. external flash yep ^^. i still really wana finish the SIOFlash application lol.

Also expect some work on pad or mc port to full spi interface.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » August 16th, 2015, 11:35 am

Aaah, I tried with a fairly low wattage soldering iron a while back... made an arse of things. Pretty sure there's a short underneath the chip now :/

I was having another wee look through XFlash btw, just documenting the functions, labeling registers etc and noticed there are actually quite a few little delay functions... kinda wondering now how time sensitive the write operation is? E.g. were you writing to the chip slowly enough?

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » August 20th, 2015, 5:35 am

Actually i was writing every .16 seconds. way way longer then the datasheet suggests as minimum.

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » March 20th, 2016, 2:48 am

Fresh WIP SIO FLASHER to be w/ pc host app.

I gota finish my no$cash xboo mod, guna use a board im making for the SST flash + mayumi + xboo.
Then after that or before that ^ there, i gota make a new SIOCONS 100% capable usb serial cable.
FTDI232RL + 74HC00 = yaroze & psy-q :D yay.

ill get back here some time... lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » July 23rd, 2016, 12:36 am

This page http://www.geocities.ws/SiliconValley/S ... 9/var.html contains some info on "PAR 3" mapping in japanese, the text encoding seems to be wrong (my browser can't display it, and google translate refuses to translate it), however, google cache shows intact japanese text, and one can copy/paste that text to google translate... the document contains a lot of stuff about CDROMs and NTSC patches, and, the PAR 3 mapping related part is this...
Below, action replay system
PAR 3 things
Well, I do not long to buy, but you wrote that was found.
Memory arrangement
1f000000-1f01ffff ROM. Change in bank switching.
1f020000-1f03ffff ROM. Change in bank switching.
1f040000-1f05ffff whopping RAM. It is able to use.
1f060000-1f06003f I / O. Intently mirror to the subsequent 1f07ffff.
Nakano ROM is I mean SST 28SF040, was the type of 4M. By the way, PAR / XT something of How to identify the ROM size is like can be seen in the number of places Tteyuu last 040 of the model number. Is Tteyuu 010 if 1M.
Then leave to put the results of opening the various PAR of out why.

PAR2 had entered is that SST 29EE020 I opened the. (Silicon Storage Technology) seems to mean that 2M is that this 020. After that it was in that big 44pin that DATEL ASIC1 A8B1944A 9832. Then Pachimon. SST 29EE010 the on is 1M. AMD AM29F010 also compatible product (Which?) ATMEL AT29C010 also 1M. OK, even this because wrote in 29F010 and infrastructure. ATMEL's is a big 32pin. Please carefully might be a good thing because it is with a socket. Kana keep ride to even Zeropure. In, tricks data wax was selling at 190 yen but not a PAR. I wrote H9730 AJ NM27C010V 120. Uh-huh. I guess 1M ... seems EPROM. UV Erasable either. But I have no window ??? after PIC 16C55. I wonder if hanging protect? ROM Suidase Rukamo. PAR3. It is SST 28SF040 4M. Circuit also has become much more confusing. Familiar 12C508 are also entered in the MOD. It can be used as a modchip by removing, But I'm interesting if was Toka. XT2: SST 29EE020. Same big 32pin as ATMEL. The Tteyuu DIP? Spring and the screw when you open the lid flew. The room I do not know somewhere was saying dirty. But like those that had been attached to the upper left of the connector portion of the PS, oh well. Why there's either not understood is this screw. It was selling at Akibangu "Akushoso". But to say things like there is a ROM from 1f040000, actually or was a mirror of 1f000000. AM29F010. EMS GOLD FINGER which has been sold in Akibao. (HAPPY PLAY) ATMEL AT29BV020. 256byte writing is required. Parents, wrote and still is the foundation 29F010. Game Booster (Pachimon) ATMEL AT29C010A, switching type of the AT29C020.

Nde just stuck a note I'm sorry you were meaning unknown.

But I think how as possible is called Memoka 8 sheets in this capacity. It will do numerical value of that assumes the data of what Memoka. Or actually cartridge you are singing and I'll try not ... 1080 block have gained more EEPROM've got to care about whether they are riding is Dondake ROM. I might buy, but do not use.
I / O
Eight 8-byte boundary? It feels like a certain. 1f060000 for reception. (1f060000 use only.) All bytes same treatment like. It is 01h in the state that does not connected anything.
1f060008 for transmission. (1f060008 use only.) This is ffh in the state that does not connected anything.
1f060010 during data reception it will stand the least significant bit. Usually is fe.
1f060018 state of the push button. In not pressed and fefefefefefefefe, it will Ost ffffffffffffffff.
I think 1f060020 unused. It is ffffffffffffffff.
I think 1f060028 unused. It is ffffffffffffffff.
1f060030 bank switching. 1 put and run-time of the ROM, and changes to the 3's and the start-up of the ROM.
1f060038 would be what? It is lbu. Like there is a meaning bits 0 and 1. It was fcfcfcfcfcfcfcfc. I think that it is bank cult.

Sucking out the way of the ROM
Well 1f000000 wrote a program that transfers to 1f07ffff or rather 1f03ffff to the main memory from the burn to CD. Incidentally 10000 80000000 You may also become study and keep Tsu copy. After modchip or blue stearate is required.

Or more is not explained.
So, that's hard to read, and the details are quite unclear, but it's obviously different than the (older?) hardware version described in psx-spx.htm.
The "Change in bank switching." sounds as if the (newer?) version might support bigger FLASH chips, with up to 512Kbyte or so.

Does anybody have more info about the different Memory & I/O mapping schemes for Datel carts (and Datel clones)?

PS. As far as I understand, this thread is about Datel Pro Action Replay (PAR) carts... what I don't understand is: What is a "Datel VMEM Addon", and why is the thread called like that ???

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 23rd, 2016, 7:38 am

Uhm, after gazing at the above photos, I think that I do now know which photos are showing which hardware:
1) The photos that look like an ISA-card are probably the "N64 GS pro", ie. something for Nintendo 64 or so, unrelated to PSX.
2) The photos that look like a cut-down PSX cheat device without DB25 connector are apparently the "DATEL VMEM" hardware.

Okay, I think I've got that so far, after all, the VMEM was said to have "1x GAL, 1x HC373A, 1x PIC12C508 and 1x DATEL D080 SL744" (pretty weird chipset, but, anyways, it does match up with the 2nd photo set). The solder points in the middle of the "DATEL REF 1324" PCB are looking as if it's having a PSX expansion port connector (on the PCB back side). Hmmm, and going by above posts, "Vmem supports 60 x 15 blocks of external storage". Uhmmm... WHAT is that? Some sort of a super-memory-card hardware emulator?

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » September 15th, 2016, 8:21 am

the 60x15 blocks is the 15 blocks of a std memory card, with the details from datel on the vmem stating it can emulate 60* card slots. which I can testify the bios menu shows 60 slots to unload and load virtual memory cards.. and yes the other hardware is a n64gspro which I salvaged for more chips.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » September 15th, 2016, 8:52 am

Ah, okay, so it's really memory card related. Do you know how it's working exactly? I could think of three possible ways:
- physically emulating the memory card (but that'd require the memcard signals being passed to expansion port).
- hooking bios functions to redirect all memory card accesses to expansion port.
- copying content to/from regular memory cards (and then letting the games access only the regular memory card).
The third method would be lamest, but probably also the most reliable solution (eg. working even if games bypass bios functions).

Btw. is that thing that you have really called "Datel VMEM"? I haven't found anything about in internet. And this post http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1100 says that it is (more commonly?) known as "Interact V-Mem".
Hmmmm, or actually, that page says that there is another "V-Mem feature of the GameShark", so I don't know if it's really referring to the same "V-Mem" that you have.

CyrusDevX
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CyrusDevX » September 15th, 2016, 9:10 am

from what i googled around on its similar to gamesharks memory option in the later ones. Since this post i still dont have the rom... or most of the parts on the board just the eeprom is left so its like a mini drive for unirom. If you go on ebay and search "playstation 1 datel vmem" you might find some left. it seems the custom "DATEL" label ic's is a spi or similar serial storage chip. on all that chip its using max 5 lines. little info on it but similar parts ive looked at online resemble a serial ic. it also had a code protected pic12C series mcu on it. tried dumping that last year.

Yuri^Cybdyn
Verified
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Embedded Developer (MCU & FPGA)
PlayStation Model: 5502

Post by Yuri^Cybdyn » October 12th, 2016, 6:01 am

interesting, if it based on replacing of bios calls, which work around mem-card device (like INIT, READ, WRITE), so it might be possible to redirect it to work like V-mem with other external devices))