Experimental PS1 Wiki

Miscellaneous and un-categorized content regarding the PlayStation 1
Dark-Show
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Experimental PS1 Wiki

Post by Dark-Show » August 21st, 2014, 12:18 pm

snip
Last edited by Dark-Show on August 25th, 2014, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Akari
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by Akari » August 21st, 2014, 2:33 pm

Maybe better will be translate and continue to work on this wiki http://wiki.psxdev.ru/
We already has a lot of information there. Mostly in russian, because we lasy to write in english.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 22nd, 2014, 5:15 am

Some english wiki with similar content as http://wiki.psxdev.ru/ would be fantastic.

Akari, would it be really realistic to translate the wiki to english? Asking because it looks like a lot of work, and (when avoiding google translate) it could be done only by russian speaking people - who would do that? And would it be okay with the the current russian users to remove the russian text? And the GUI is russian, too, I've no clue how to "Login / Create Account" in russian.

Dark-Show, thanks for getting that on the way! If there is a chance to translate the russian wiki to english then I would rather stick with that one. Otherwise a complete new wiki like http://dark-show.ddns.net would be fine. The user interface looks a bit to innovative to me (and it crashed my browser right after clicking some symbol), I would prefer running the wiki on some more stable & traditional wikipedia-style software, with more text instead of symbols, and without flash plugins.

Dark-Show
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Dark-Show » August 22nd, 2014, 5:55 am

I can't see there being a plausible way to translate the wiki, other than Google translate. I'm setting up this wiki software more so because of its free and easily modable design. I don't seem to see any flash plugins? Also, would you be able to elaborate on the symbols, and crash. I have been using this wiki (settings it up) for 2 days now and i have yet to have a crash. I just wrote a crawler to import some pages for the NTSC PSX library from an online PS1 database and it was beyond easy. I'll take any advice as to how to change the software, like added plugins and such. Until I get a understandable response to the wiki software's flaws, I'll try to fix and setup what I can. Also you may have tried the site when i was rebuilding the database from the crawler.

I'm also idle in IRC so if its easier to chat there feel free to message me.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 22nd, 2014, 8:54 am

I am not sure if there's a flash plugin - I just saw something popping up when moving the mouse over the symbols. If you say that there's no flash, then it's probably something else.

In normal view, with Opera 10.53, the page looks like this, with four symbols on the right side:
zsp1.gif
When moving the mouse over one of the four symbols (no matter which one) (and no matter if java script is enabled), I am always getting this:
zsp2.gif
Plently of blue & gray symbols scattered all across the screen? It doesn't look right. And I think that symbols are rather unneccassary gimmicks anyways. Some more stable and more minimalistic low-end gui would be nicer.

When testing this morning, the page crashed immediately when clicking one of the symbols. But trying again, I couldn't reproduce the crash. Maybe the browser was just out of memory when viewing too many other pages.

EDIT: Just tried google translate, here's the psxdev.ru wiki's main page: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 1%86%D0%B0 "Special Pages" --> "All Pages" gives a list of all pages on the wiki, the links there can be browsed to get english translation (although on some russian pages, google claims that they are already in english (one could probably bypass that effect when manually copying/pasting the russian text (and it seems to happen only when using "Detect Language", not when selecting "Russian"))).
For the cases where google is doing translations: It's good enough to get an idea what the sentences are talking about. But it would still need some editing & guessing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dark-Show
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Dark-Show » August 22nd, 2014, 10:34 am

Ahh I see, thank you for pointing it out, I only tested it in IE, Firefox and Chrome. I'll see if there's a fix. Also is another english wiki wanted if google translate works? I mean am I wasting my time?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 22nd, 2014, 1:54 pm

I don't see why we need a wiki. If you need to find something, just use the search built into the forums.
The reason I started psxdev.net was because there are so many PSX 'development' based sites floating around with zero management and are not kept up to date whatsoever.

http://wiki.psxdev.ru/ isn't even loading for me by the way.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Akari
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by Akari » August 22nd, 2014, 11:00 pm

Shadow wrote:I don't see why we need a wiki. If you need to find something, just use the search built into the forums.
The reason I started psxdev.net was because there are so many PSX 'development' based sites floating around with zero management and are not kept up to date whatsoever.

Forum don't contain structured data about topic. It's scattered through a lot of topics. That's the main problem.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 23rd, 2014, 1:15 am

Dark-Show wrote:Ahh I see, thank you for pointing it out, I only tested it in IE, Firefox and Chrome. I'll see if there's a fix. Also is another english wiki wanted if google translate works? I mean am I wasting my time?
Just viewing the russian pages via google translate won't do it. But if the psxdev.ru people agree to port to english as native language then, yes, then we won't need a second wiki.
The two reasons why I like psxdev.ru is that it's a normal mediawiki http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki and that it does already have some neat content with collections of mainboard photos, datasheets, etc. Not to mention the decapping stuff (though that stuff is rather exceeding my horizon).

Akari what's up with it? Do you want to keep it in russian, or are you going to switch to english GUI and agree to translate all pages to english? Maybe some people could help via google translate. Whatever way the translation is done, the goal should be to have all pages 100% in english, and everybody agreeing to use english in future.
Shadow wrote:http://wiki.psxdev.ru/ isn't even loading for me by the way.
Any idea what went wrong there? Font problem? Server temporarily down? Russian pages blocked in your country? The mediawiki software should be same as at wikipedia, which does probably work on your computer.
Or maybe not - if wikipedia doesn't work for you - then I would get an idea why you prefer forums instead of wikis.

Akari
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by Akari » August 23rd, 2014, 2:24 am

nocash wrote:Akari what's up with it? Do you want to keep it in russian, or are you going to switch to english GUI and agree to translate all pages to english? Maybe some people could help via google translate. Whatever way the translation is done, the goal should be to have all pages 100% in english, and everybody agreeing to use english in future.
I talk with Org and he agree to translate wiki into English and change interface to English. This is not a problem. There not so much content there. We translete it one page by one.

org
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by org » August 23rd, 2014, 5:38 am

I don't see why we need a wiki.
Wiki is a good tool for searching and structuring information, do not underestimate it ;)

We have done a lot of work to gather information on a huge number of revisions of PSX motherboards and chipsets, only need is to bring a little update and cleanup.

English translation is not a problem at all :)
Shadow, can you please show log of "tracert psxdev.ru" hops, maybe we can handle it.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 23rd, 2014, 11:18 am

If you could get it translated into crude English, I would be able to translate it even further.
If you're going to host the wiki, please keep weekly backups and send them to me, so if for any reason your site goes down or disappears in the future, I can rehost it directly as it were here at PSXDEV.net.

No need. It's loading now, both the wiki and homepage now...
By the way, I'll add 'psxdev.ru' to the 'Links' tab on the PSXDEV.net homepage and possibly add the 'Wiki' tab too once the wiki is in English.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 24th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Okay, the PSXDEV.RU link has been added.
I hope these lines are correct:
"PSXDEV.RU owned by Akari and Org. A Russian based reverse engineering site for the PlayStation.".

http://www.psxdev.net/links.html