Planning to make LameBASIC for the PSX, will it contribute?

Anything other than PlayStation content may be posted here
LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Planning to make LameBASIC for the PSX, will it contribute?

Post by LameGuy64 » May 1st, 2013, 11:20 am

I'm planning to make a BASIC compiler for the PlayStation to make programming the system easier for beginners and the like. Unlike PSX BASIC which I think is just a lame interpreter or a very limited compiler (like DragonBASIC for the GBA), this compiles your BASIC code into C++ code which is then compiled to a PS-EXE using PsyQ.

So, when it compiles, it turns your BASIC code from this:

Code: Select all

' Some comment
TYPE MyType
   Crap AS LONG
   CrapStr AS STRING * 20
END TYPE

DIM MyArray(9) AS INTEGER
IF foo = 1 THEN PRINT "foo is 1"
MyArray(0) = MyArray(0) + 1
Into this:

Code: Select all

// Some comment
typedef struct
{
   int Crap;
   unsigned char CrapStr[20];
} MyType;

short MyArray[9];
if (foo = 1) FntPrint("foo is 1\n");
MyArray[0] += 1;
So the performance will be roughly as fast as C++ only easier to use. All existing PsyQ libraries and structures will be supported along with in-line C++ or ASM support just in case of any compatibility issues so all of the PlayStation's features can be fully utilized probably making this the most powerful BASIC compiler for the PSX. Also, wrapper functions that simplify the syntax for printing text onto screen, loading or playing sounds, and drawing primitive shapes onto the screen will be stored as external C++ modules so the compiler can be easily modified to support other platforms such as the Nintendo DS. And unlike DragonBASIC, this will be 100% free and open source.

I'm not working on this project yet because I'm working on other non-PSX projects right now (which I may port to the PSX) until I'm done with those and there is a sufficient spark of interest to this project but I seriously doubt it because most people here will likely bash this project to death because its BASIC thus, my effort goes to waste. I mean COME ON! What's with all the BASIC hate?!?! It can be as powerful as PsyQ if its designed the right way.

The LameBASIC name is based off of my user name and also by the fact that everyone will most likely hate it. Once people like it and use it, I'll change it to a better name.
Last edited by LameGuy64 on May 10th, 2013, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

sinaptik
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by sinaptik » May 10th, 2013, 10:54 am

LameGuy64 wrote:EDIT: This planned project is now canned to the trash bin...Cuz' nobody freakin' cares!
The attitude you should have is: "Developing this will further my understanding, I will opensource this software so people can learn how it works, and if someone uses the final product, that's cool too"

I expect that when PSIO will drop, many more people will flood these forums and ps1 dev will see a little bit of a resurgence. So don't loose hope.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » May 10th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Thanks for the motivation...The reason why I'm pessimistic and doubtful about this project is because most Game Dev forums I've seen in the past despise anything BASIC related. There's a topic somewhere here that despises PSX BASIC which I bet is weaker than LameBASIC theoretically but it shows that this forum might be an anti-BASIC type community like the rest. So, when I begin working on this compiler, members will start discouraging this project and taunt me to get out of this community at the same time. To make this project tougher to accomplish, PSX programmers here may not help me out with programming the PSX because I'm assuming that most of them are 'elite', retired, or despise this project.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

sinaptik
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by sinaptik » May 10th, 2013, 2:01 pm

LameGuy64 wrote:Thanks for the motivation...The reason why I'm pessimistic and doubtful about this project is because most Game Dev forums I've seen in the past despise anything BASIC related. There's a topic somewhere here that despises PSX BASIC which I bet is weaker than LameBASIC theoretically but it shows that this forum might be an anti-BASIC type community like the rest. So, when I begin working on this compiler, members will start discouraging this project and taunt me to get out of this community at the same time. To make this project tougher to accomplish, PSX programmers here may not help me out with programming the PSX because I'm assuming that most of them are 'elite', retired, or despise this project.
Yes, there are always obstacles and de-motivators in any project, the trick is dealing with them. Yes there may be some people who don't like BASIC, but you also have to remember that it might just be the most vocal people expressing that hatred. I guarantee you that not everyone hates BASIC.

BASIC was my first language, and if you can hook one person who just started programming in BASIC into ps1 dev because of your project, then that's made all your work completely worth it.

Start your project on github so people can contribute easily. Talk to people who use BASIC, they might be thrilled at what you're doing because now their programs can run on ps1 with no (or little) modification, that's exciting!

Good luck.

yogi
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by yogi » June 24th, 2013, 4:07 am

All I can say is, the introduction of batari Basic for the Atari 2600 has increased the homebrew scene by 10x. Any tool that opens things up more people is a good thing ;)
Life's short, eat dessert first

EgyptBeast
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by EgyptBeast » July 2nd, 2013, 11:00 pm

I just saw this topic and it deserves more attention. (y)
Noob Question: by saying "BASIC" you mean Visual Basic lang. ?
and If yes, I am willing to learn VB just to help you in this project. As @yogi said: It will widen the scene tools by 10x and it will open more and more features to the contributors. :D

Matej
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Matej » November 9th, 2013, 10:18 am

Hey Lame I am iteresting in.
Dont forget build in XM module player.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » November 9th, 2013, 11:30 am

Actually guys, Someone else has already made a BASIC-like compiler for the PSX:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/psxbasic/

And it looks like it already has some potential making LameBASIC pretty much unnecessary.

Matej
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Matej » November 9th, 2013, 5:38 pm

And what about: LamePlayground???
Exactly same as ScirraConstruct2:
https://www.scirra.com/
or GameMaker:
http://www.yoyogames.com/studio
or GameEditor:
http://game-editor.com/Main_Page
or GameSalad:
http://gamesalad.com/creator

Simply people will use visual programming language and then export their mini game to PSX.
At the begining can be very simple... Latter more complex.