UniROM 8.0.K - GDB Debugging, install/backup to/from memory card, homebrew from memcard, etc

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
Apache Thunder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Apache Thunder » July 6th, 2020, 2:55 pm

I'm kinda thinking what I'll do as a solution for a custom serial cable is instead of destroying a perfectly good serial link cable is I can instead go the big brain route and buy a dead PS1 mobo of eBay, desolder the serial port and solder a few short wires direct from the USB serial dongle to the port. Then I can use a stock unmodified link cable and not have to silently cry to myself cutting up a serial link cable. :P

Sure I'm still sacrificing a serial port off a PS1 motherboard, but if I find a dead one, I suppose it should be fine pulling the port off it. It's less destructive anyways. A serial cable can never work after being cut up for this project while a PS1 can work fine without a serial port. (so even if the mobo isn't a dud, it would still work just without serial connectivity. :P ).

So if I find non functional PS1 for cheap I will probably go this route to construct the serial connection I need to dump the Code Card rom. Because at this point the parallel cable route seems unfeasible. Mine likely needs some unknown type of ISA card that is impossible to find. :(

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » July 7th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Haker120 wrote: July 5th, 2020, 11:50 pm Soldering is a no-no for me and I don't feel need to reverse my cartridges back to stock. ;)

Keep waiting for UniROM for my XFX. :D

@sickle, issue detected, green GameShark:

Oh no!
You up for getting me the high res pics again? Let's work with ID and add support!

mistamontiel wrote: July 6th, 2020, 9:01 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5838pr793v0

@ 5:50 just discovered that "title", forgot the SCUS-xxxxx identifier, did Discord you it!

v8b5 it hangs on the UniROM screen when reads it up
Thanks dude, will look right into that ^^

Apache Thunder wrote: July 6th, 2020, 2:55 pm 'Borrowing' a serial port.
Not a bad idea really! Easy enough to find broken machines? (they seem pretty indestructable, lol)

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Gamer
Motto: As long as you enjoy the game

Post by Haker120 » July 8th, 2020, 4:18 am

Of course and I'm surprised I was able to flash it to 8.0.6 now even 8.0.6/5 aren't able to flash it. Odd. Pic as asked. :)

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » July 8th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Haker120 wrote: July 8th, 2020, 4:18 am Of course and I'm surprised I was able to flash it to 8.0.6 now even 8.0.6/5 aren't able to flash it. Odd. Pic as asked. :)

Aww dear, we've had this once before!
The chip uses a slightly different sequence, and it's pure fluke it flashed the first time!

If you hold L1+L2 while flashing it'll tell unirom to just assume a generic 128k flash.
If you hold R1+R2, it'll tell unirom to assume a generic 256k flash.

Heads up though, due to the weird mapping, I don't think you'll get away with 256k flash until the next release.

I'll buy one of those chips and get it fixed in the next release, thanks!

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Haker120 » July 9th, 2020, 2:13 am

So what can I do now? L1+L2? And many thanks for respond @sickle. :)

Ok, I've tested right after I asked. It was flashed properly as generic 128k flash! :D Thanks again and patiently I'm waiting to flash my XFX, no worries, I'm very patient person. ;)

Edit: Is this worth $18? I can buy it locally, green one annoys me. xD

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » July 9th, 2020, 1:45 pm

It can be worth since it should be a German AR/GS V2 cartrigde, so Datel stuff here, not some clone crap. ;)
kHn mentionned once that you should be able to identify genuine Datel devices by looking at the V shape on connector, which this one has.

Ichisuke
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Ichisuke » July 10th, 2020, 9:28 pm

A random thought: is it possible that someone make a custom action replay/unirom cartridge/board that is smaller in size etc... to have a sleeker design instead of that horrible "antenna" on the back of the console?

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Haker120 » July 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Ok, I ordered this GameBuster thingy, hopefully condition will be much better than green one's. :D Aaaand hopefully $22 were worth paying (with shipping costs). xD

Edit: @sickle, I got GameBuster, out of curiousity I tried to flash UniROM + Caetla, it shown me screen as below, I tried to flash, it shown error at 70% and now it remains bricked, black screen as console is turned on with this cartridge...

Ichisuke
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Ichisuke » July 15th, 2020, 6:42 am

What's the issue you have with Medievil PAL? I'm playing on a 1002 with Unirom (no modchip) and both my original copy and backup (made myself "1:1" copy) works perfectly fine.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » July 15th, 2020, 9:56 am

Haker120 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm Ok, I ordered this GameBuster thingy, hopefully condition will be much better than green one's. :D Aaaand hopefully $22 were worth paying (with shipping costs). xD

Edit: @sickle, I got GameBuster, out of curiousity I tried to flash UniROM + Caetla, it shown me screen as below, I tried to flash, it shown error at 70% and now it remains bricked, black screen as console is turned on with this cartridge...
Does the standalone version work?
I fear this is another weird memory layout. High-res pic?
Ichisuke wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:42 am What's the issue you have with Medievil PAL? I'm playing on a 1002 with Unirom (no modchip) and both my original copy and backup (made myself "1:1" copy) works perfectly fine.
Hmm, did you go to the hilltop mausoleum level? For me it didn't kick in until there (like level 2-3 or something?).
Will be super interesting if yours behaves different (e.g. 'cause it's a 1002 vs 5552 or something!)
Ichisuke wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:28 pm A random thought: is it possible that someone make a custom action replay/unirom cartridge/board that is smaller in size etc... to have a sleeker design instead of that horrible "antenna" on the back of the console?

I'm too scared to crack it open!

Ichisuke
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Ichisuke » July 15th, 2020, 10:58 am

sickle wrote: July 15th, 2020, 9:56 am
Ichisuke wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:42 am What's the issue you have with Medievil PAL? I'm playing on a 1002 with Unirom (no modchip) and both my original copy and backup (made myself "1:1" copy) works perfectly fine
Hmm, did you go to the hilltop mausoleum level? For me it didn't kick in until there (like level 2-3 or something?).
Will be super interesting if yours behaves different (e.g. 'cause it's a 1002 vs 5552 or something!)
Okay there is obviously something strange... It gave me the error with the disc icon and the error triangle a couple of times. But what's strange is that it gave me the error even with a normal swap(no unirom cartridge installed).. But the libcrypt protection shouldn't kick in since it has been copied 1:1 and the modchip detection shouldn't work since there is no modchip in the console...(and I think the level load error is not modchip related) I'm thinking that maybe the console can have some read errors and the protection kicks in anyway.... I've tried some others time and the game always loaded the level. Or maybe the protection is random on different levels? What I don't understand is why I've got the error once with the swap trick.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » July 15th, 2020, 11:53 am

sickle wrote: July 15th, 2020, 9:56 am I fear this is another weird memory layout. High-res pic?
It should be exactly this:
https://ibb.co/yyXwzv0
"GameBuster" is the German AR/GS V2 naming.
So just like for those, you just need to get the memory gap support we talked about. ;)

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » July 15th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Squaresoft74 wrote: July 15th, 2020, 11:53 am
sickle wrote: July 15th, 2020, 9:56 am I fear this is another weird memory layout. High-res pic?
It should be exactly this:
https://ibb.co/yyXwzv0
"GameBuster" is the German AR/GS V2 naming.
So just like for those, you just need to get the memory gap support we talked about. ;)
Aaargh!
Do you know a surefire way to get a V2 cart (name, etc), so I can get one and test? (e.g. not accidentally get some knockoff)
Ichisuke wrote: July 15th, 2020, 10:58 am
Ichisuke wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:42 am swap trick
Heh, this caught me out as well. A 1:1 copy won't work on libcrypt games.
There's some parts that ripping an iso skips... then when you burn it recreates them.
So LibCrypt puts some stuff in there that you have no control over.
I image if you swapped back to the black disc right before hilltop, then put it back everything would be fine, lol.

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Haker120 » July 15th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Haker120 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm Ok, I ordered this GameBuster thingy, hopefully condition will be much better than green one's. :D Aaaand hopefully $22 were worth paying (with shipping costs). xD

Does the standalone version work?
I fear this is another weird memory layout. High-res pic?

I have black screen when it's plugged in console so I can't check if standalone works. This is what I have and oddly I risked hard plug after UniROM disc loaded and I flashed it to standalone version, oof...

Ichisuke
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Ichisuke » July 15th, 2020, 6:05 pm

sickle wrote: July 15th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Heh, this caught me out as well. A 1:1 copy won't work on libcrypt games.
There's some parts that ripping an iso skips... then when you burn it recreates them.
So LibCrypt puts some stuff in there that you have no control over.
I image if you swapped back to the black disc right before hilltop, then put it back everything would be fine, lol.
Just tried again this morning. I've burned a 4x copy and a 52x copy. No issue both on a PsOne (SCPH102 via swap trick) and again on then 1002 via swap trick or unirom. Yesterday it happened two or three times.... While testing on the 1002 I've also fired up the cheat menu to restart the level and I've restarted it like 10 times and always loaded...
I'm not an expert but as you say if you let the cd/dvd burner recreate the sectors it will result in a wrong copy where the libcrypt detect a wrong checksum. But the copy I've made should be a 1:1 where the protection doesn't detect anything.

Puppydogpals
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Puppydogpals » July 15th, 2020, 7:32 pm

I have these two on the way (hopefully they are fully functional!) Would either of these be suitable and can any one confirm they are compatible with unirom please. A password card PS-121b and a smart cartridge.

Mdv
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Mdv » July 15th, 2020, 9:45 pm

Ichisuke wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Just tried again this morning. I've burned a 4x copy and a 52x copy. No issue both on a PsOne (SCPH102 via swap trick) and again on then 1002 via swap trick or unirom. Yesterday it happened two or three times.... While testing on the 1002 I've also fired up the cheat menu to restart the level and I've restarted it like 10 times and always loaded...
I'm not an expert but as you say if you let the cd/dvd burner recreate the sectors it will result in a wrong copy where the libcrypt detect a wrong checksum. But the copy I've made should be a 1:1 where the protection doesn't detect anything.
tihs games needs to be patched with sbi tools and ccd file burned with clonecd or alcohol 120% https://github.com/Kippykip/SBITools#cl ... ning-guide

Ichisuke
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Ichisuke » July 15th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Mdv wrote: July 15th, 2020, 9:45 pm
tihs games needs to be patched with sbi tools and ccd file burned with clonecd or alcohol 120% https://github.com/Kippykip/SBITools#cl ... ning-guide
That's what I did. Used Clone cd with those settings. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I recall the .SBI files are for the emulator. No need to patch the game if you can make a 1:1 copy(and you have a CD/DVD burner capable of doing that) to play on the console. Otherwise you have to patch the game disc image before burning.
What I did found strange is that the game for some reason throw me the protection error randomly. Now is working just fine....

Mdv
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Mdv » July 15th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Ichisuke wrote: July 15th, 2020, 9:54 pm

That's what I did. Used Clone cd with those settings. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I recall the .SBI files are for the emulator. No need to patch the game if you can make a 1:1 copy(and you have a CD/DVD burner capable of doing that) to play on the console. Otherwise you have to patch the game disc image before burning.
What I did found strange is that the game for some reason throw me the protection error randomly. Now is working just fine....
yes you have to patch the iso before burning as the copy protection is not read when making a 1:1 copy and needs to be put back to the iso with the sbi file

Ichisuke
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Ichisuke » July 15th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Mdv wrote: July 15th, 2020, 10:26 pm
Ichisuke wrote: July 15th, 2020, 9:54 pm

yes you have to patch the iso before burning as the copy protection is not read when making a 1:1 copy and needs to be put back to the iso with the sbi file
Sorry but I think you've got it wrong or you are too much generic.
SBI files are just for emulators. This file can get converted back to .SUB files in order to burn them with Clonecd so that you can have a "1:1" copy of the disc.
With Clonecd or any other capable software you can read the subchannel data correctly from a playstation disc, with a capable CD/DVD reader/burner, creating the original .SUB file where the subchannel data informations are stored.
And when burning the disc you just need to use a capable burner that can write the subchannel data without correcting them, otherwise the protection will kick in and the game won't work.
So there is no need to patch anything if someone is capable of doing "1:1" copy of a disc because the libcrypt protection remains intact.
If someone wants to remove the copy protection because unable to read/burn the disc correctly or because there is emulation involved unable to use the subchannel data then the only thing to do is to patch the disc image accordingly.