UniROM 8.0.K - GDB Debugging, install/backup to/from memory card, homebrew from memcard, etc

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
tomexplodes
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by tomexplodes » June 3rd, 2020, 7:12 am

Oh it's fine, I'm just stupid and believe everything I read. No worries! Like I say, I have it working now. I just ordered some Verbatim CD-Rs because the Memorex ones I have suck.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » June 3rd, 2020, 10:35 am

tomexplodes wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 7:12 am Oh it's fine, I'm just stupid and believe everything I read. No worries! Like I say, I have it working now. I just ordered some Verbatim CD-Rs because the Memorex ones I have suck.
Nice one, I've had a lot of luck with those.
Tesco CDRs are alright in a pinch in the UK... not sure about elsewhere!

DoubleD
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by DoubleD » June 3rd, 2020, 11:48 am

So I got my gold finger cheat device in the mail today and I tried to load a burned game but it doesn't load it properly its all glitchy. I did the tape method and inserted a real game first waited for it to stop spinning and put in a burned game but nothing. I don't know why it wont work. I also don't know if the game swap method works properly cause I keep trying it but doesn't work. Any ideas?

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » June 3rd, 2020, 8:21 pm

DoubleD wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 11:48 am So I got my gold finger cheat device in the mail today and I tried to load a burned game but it doesn't load it properly its all glitchy. I did the tape method and inserted a real game first waited for it to stop spinning and put in a burned game but nothing. I don't know why it wont work. I also don't know if the game swap method works properly cause I keep trying it but doesn't work. Any ideas?
Hey, not terribly sure what you're trying to achieve!

So I'm going to assume you don't have unirom installed on the goldfinger.

- Each model of playstation has its own timing for the disc swap, (555x, 7000, etc..), so it might be worth finding a more specific guide!

- If you already have a goldfinger, you can just turn the PS1 on with a black disc in. Wait a few seconds. Swap for the CDR, then hit start. That's enough.

With that said...

If you use those methods to load the bootdisc... then install unirom (to replace goldfinger software) then you won't have to disc swap any more (unless you have a japanese system).

tomexplodes
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by tomexplodes » June 4th, 2020, 2:46 am

Okay. No luck with these either. I've tried multiple rips, different speeds, 2 different computers, etc. I'm trying to get Jumping Flash to work. On the Memorex CD-Rs, everything skipped horribly all the time. On these new CD-Rs, FMVs start playing fine but then slowly start to skip, and in game the music skips all over the place. I have a 1001 model Playstation, is that my problem? If so, do I need a later model or a new laser housing or what? Mostly I want to play Japanese games that are too expensive to import currently. If a game is available on PSN on my PS3, I'm happy to buy it there before I try burning it on my PS1. Should I just get a PSIO'd PS1? That's also prohibitively expensive. So, is it my CD-Rs, my modern(ish) PC's inability to burn lower than 16x speed? I have a windows 98 PC that I used to burn at 8x speed, that was no better or possibly worse. Can I stop Unirom from forcing fast load? Would that even help? I'm open to suggestions, even with a ton of googling I find spotty information at best. Help me Sickle-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

EDIT: Harmful Park appears to work 100% perfect. Is is just Jumping Flash then, or is it because HP is basically 2D? I hate not knowing things.

'nother EDIT: Clock Tower: The First Fear with the english patch applied also works pretty well, the opening FMV is a bit skippy but the music plays fine during gameplay so far. I'm burning Elemental Gearbolt to try out as we speak. Type. Whatever.

EDIT: EG skips and locks up. Joy.

DoubleD
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by DoubleD » June 4th, 2020, 4:03 am

So I was able to flash my gold finger cart with the unirom v6 and it actually works now! My burned games are working great no lag. I just hit fast boot and it reads it.

DoubleD
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by DoubleD » June 4th, 2020, 5:28 am

Just a quick update, I was able to update the unirom to v8 and all my games work great!

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » June 10th, 2020, 12:13 am

tomexplodes wrote: June 4th, 2020, 2:46 am Okay. No luck with these either. I've tried multiple rips, different speeds, 2 different computers, etc. I'm trying to get Jumping Flash to work. On the Memorex CD-Rs, everything skipped horribly all the time. On these new CD-Rs, FMVs start playing fine but then slowly start to skip, and in game the music skips all over the place. I have a 1001 model Playstation, is that my problem? If so, do I need a later model or a new laser housing or what? Mostly I want to play Japanese games that are too expensive to import currently. If a game is available on PSN on my PS3, I'm happy to buy it there before I try burning it on my PS1. Should I just get a PSIO'd PS1? That's also prohibitively expensive. So, is it my CD-Rs, my modern(ish) PC's inability to burn lower than 16x speed? I have a windows 98 PC that I used to burn at 8x speed, that was no better or possibly worse. Can I stop Unirom from forcing fast load? Would that even help? I'm open to suggestions, even with a ton of googling I find spotty information at best. Help me Sickle-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

EDIT: Harmful Park appears to work 100% perfect. Is is just Jumping Flash then, or is it because HP is basically 2D? I hate not knowing things.

'nother EDIT: Clock Tower: The First Fear with the english patch applied also works pretty well, the opening FMV is a bit skippy but the music plays fine during gameplay so far. I'm burning Elemental Gearbolt to try out as we speak. Type. Whatever.

EDIT: EG skips and locks up. Joy.
Hmm... Maybe JF streams *way more* data off the CD than other discs and the CDRs aren't up to snuff? It's also one of the few games that will lock up if you don't fastload it :( Again, something I'm working on, maybe aimed at 2 versions ahead of here though.

The next version has some CD debug stuff and a few other things, so JF and Elemental Gearbolt are back on the todo list!
DoubleD wrote: June 4th, 2020, 5:28 am Just a quick update, I was able to update the unirom to v8 and all my games work great!
:D
Nice! Thanks for letting me know!

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Gamer
Motto: As long as you enjoy the game

Post by Haker120 » June 11th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Hello, I just registered to ask few questions. First of all, this project is amazing, I just flashed my GameShark thingy, unfortunately too less space for UniROM + Caetla (1300 something on GameShark available). I have a question, can't be update be done from MC? I mean copy file over ps2 and next in menu MC update? I think not, because space but I'm curious. :) Next thing, I tested few games and few doesn't work for me. Rayman 2 PAL and NTSC (made from original releases I own), N2O (same) and Rapid Reload (same). Also do I need +Caetla version or compatibility should be the same? And I wonder if there is compatibility list somewhere to modify, I'd gladly fill it. :)

DoubleD
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by DoubleD » June 12th, 2020, 3:39 am

So I just recently updated my gold finger cartridge to unirom v8 and it works fantastic now. :)

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » June 13th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Haker120 wrote: June 11th, 2020, 11:08 pm Hello, I just registered to ask few questions. First of all, this project is amazing, I just flashed my GameShark thingy, unfortunately too less space for UniROM + Caetla (1300 something on GameShark available). I have a question, can't be update be done from MC? I mean copy file over ps2 and next in menu MC update? I think not, because space but I'm curious. :) Next thing, I tested few games and few doesn't work for me. Rayman 2 PAL and NTSC (made from original releases I own), N2O (same) and Rapid Reload (same). Also do I need +Caetla version or compatibility should be the same? And I wonder if there is compatibility list somewhere to modify, I'd gladly fill it. :)
Hi, welcome to the forums =)
There are not plans for MC transfer atm, essentially because it's a lot of work for a thing maybe one peron might use ever! Caetla boot might work with those games, but I'll have them fixed in the next release!
(lots of nice fixes coming)

For now, just drop a line if something doesn't work and I'll get on it.

Cheers!

@DoubleD:
nice one!

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Haker120 » June 13th, 2020, 10:54 pm

sickle wrote: June 13th, 2020, 8:57 pm
Haker120 wrote: June 11th, 2020, 11:08 pm Hello, I just registered to ask few questions. First of all, this project is amazing, I just flashed my GameShark thingy, unfortunately too less space for UniROM + Caetla (1300 something on GameShark available). I have a question, can't be update be done from MC? I mean copy file over ps2 and next in menu MC update? I think not, because space but I'm curious. :) Next thing, I tested few games and few doesn't work for me. Rayman 2 PAL and NTSC (made from original releases I own), N2O (same) and Rapid Reload (same). Also do I need +Caetla version or compatibility should be the same? And I wonder if there is compatibility list somewhere to modify, I'd gladly fill it. :)
There are not plans for MC transfer atm, essentially because it's a lot of work for a thing maybe one peron might use ever! Caetla boot might work with those games, but I'll have them fixed in the next release!

Cheers!
Thanks for answer, I supposed no plans for MC transfer but still that'd be nice. :)
The thing is I don't own any cheat device with enough memory so I'm out of luck for these games, also I tested Medievil and my tests with only UniROM on cheat device:

Working backups:
Rayman PAL/NTSC-U/C,Crash Bandicoot PAL, Crash Banditoot 2 PAL, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped PAL, CTR: Crash Team Racing NTSC-U/C, Oddworld Abe's Exoddus NTSC-U/C both discs, Oddworld Abe's Oddysee NTSC-U/C, Spyro the Dragon PAL, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage NTSC-U/C, Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon NTSC-U/C, MediEvil NTSC-U/C, MediEvil 2 NTSC-U/C, Metal Gear Solid NTSC-U/C (MGS Essential Collection version), Tomba NTSC-U/C, Tomba 2 NTSC-U/C.

Working with 'modchip detected' screen:
Metal Gear Solid: Integral NTSC-J, (both discs and I had no idea swap will work).

Not working backups:
Rayman 2 PAL/NTSC-U/C, Rapid Reload PAL, N2O NTSC-U/C.

This are all tests as for now. I'll do more but any list to edit or something? :)

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » June 14th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Probably the biggest single update so far; this one should be great for both developers and gamers!

Developers: you can now leave Unirom's SIO running to upload/download while your app is running; check the instructions for more info.

https://github.com/JonathanDotCel/uniro ... s/tag/8.06

8.0.b6 - "Minty"

Notable Changes:
- Custom GPU, CD and Joypad libs.
- Lightweight, high-compatibility game loader
- Improved TTY->SIO (more output)
- Clearer instructions w/ buton combos
- Sexy new font, and toned down colours
- SIO spam on load to help users set up

Debug Core: (In Progress)
- You can now use the debug core to keep serial
enabled as you load games or develop homebrew.
Do "nops /debug"
Then the regular NoPS stuff like /exe /dump, etc
- Added /exe upload to (in progress) debug core
- Added /fast (518400 baud) support to debug core

Minor Tweaks:
- Fixed fastbook hooking write and not exec
- Fixed a boot delay (Thanks Rama)
- Fixed "Burn at 1x" which was annoying Shadow
- Detect + Warn on locked NTSC-J
- Fixed jumbled pixels on repeated lines
- Fixed a bunch of missing chars
- .Exe loading debug @ 0x1F800200

Compatibility Fixes:
- 40 winks
- CTR
- Harmful Park
- N20
- Rayman 2
- Rapid Reload
- Toushinden (Toshinden 4)

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » June 14th, 2020, 11:34 pm

Haker120 wrote: June 13th, 2020, 10:54 pm ..trimmed...
This are all tests as for now. I'll do more but any list to edit or something? :)
Thanks very much for the list! That last update fixes those games (and loads more) so there should be no reason for a compat chart right now.

Just let me know if something doesn't work and I'll fix it =)
Cheers!

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Haker120 » June 15th, 2020, 1:22 am

Amazing update! All previously incompatible games work now but still, MGS: Integral shows modchip detected screen. I assume that'd be the same for PAL version of Medievil, never got in working on modchipped PS1s (now I have none with modchip tho). Gonna buy XPLODER thingy, what would you advice to buy to have UniROM + Caetla @sicle? :)

BTW, you did a great work to compress UniROM + Caetla version, now error says (with my GameShark): trying to fit 162484 bytes into 131072! :D

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » June 15th, 2020, 7:29 am

Oh sorry I thought you had a modchip; I'll look into that.

Any Xplorer will do - any model, any version.
Damn... 160 though, it's close, and I could get it a bit lower but not enough!

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Haker120 » June 15th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Your message made me wonder if this particular unit (7502) is vanila, I dusted off my spare unit with parallel port aaaad MGS Internal works no problem, but I borrowed from my friend PAL version of MediEvil and level Hilltop Mausoleum shows (on verified vanila unit) modchip detected screen after loading the level. Odd, I unscrewed my main 5502 unit and metal shield looks like new and no indicator of modchip though, without UniROM backups shows either playlist or incompatible disc that informs to put PS1 format disc, I am confused but at least spare ps1 doesn't have a problem. :)

Seems issue was my console's fault, not your amazing UniROM, and honestly, even having techically vanila ps1s, I thought modchip doesn't matter. ;)

So only one issue, for me, remains, Hilltop Mausoleum level in PAL version of the game. ;)

And would be amazing if UniROM + Caetla would fit into 128kb cartridges but don't force yourself, I'll try to hunt XPLODER/XPLORER for this. :D

EDIT:
I've ordered XPLORER FX THE ULTIMATE CHEAT Cartridge and krHACKen told me these are problematic... I hope UniROM + Caetla will work on it for me without a brick.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » June 16th, 2020, 11:08 am

Haker120 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:50 pm just tagging you so you get notified.
Lol, oh well... I haven't played Metal Gear Integral or Medievil yet so here's my excuse!

That's weird about your 55** model btw. I'm honestly not sure, but I'll try mine too.

Not sure what kHn said (the guy knows his stuff), but worse case scenario, unirom will only support 256k of your 512k. Any other issues (like unrecognised chips or whatever) should be fixable!

Cheers!

Pippy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Pippy » June 16th, 2020, 11:55 am

Haker120 wrote: June 13th, 2020, 10:54 pm
sickle wrote: June 13th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Cheers!
Thanks for answer, I supposed no plans for MC transfer but still that'd be nice. :)
The thing is I don't own any cheat device with enough memory so I'm out of luck for these games, also I tested Medievil and my tests with only UniROM on cheat device:
MC transfer would be nice to update UniROM. I'm holding out on a non beta release currently so to not waste burning discs.

Haker120
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Haker120 » June 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Heh, with MediEvil PAL krHACKen told me: so the noCash Unlock may prevent the LibCrypt routine to work correctly. Not modchip detected. LibCrypt. The disc is unpatched.

With MGS: Integral still no idea what's up on my 7502 unit, maybe it has modchip or any leftowers? Was bought as used after all. ;)

Nice to have your support @sickle. :) And what krHACKen said about XPLORER FX THE ULTIMATE CHEAT Cartridge:
Long ago, it was not to reflash FX cartridges without having another one, to hotswap and reflash via parallel in case of brick, and I don't know if UniROM's flasher supports the FX mapping and Atmel chips that are problematic. If you can get a Xplorer v2, it will work with UniROM+Caetla, v2 is 256kb.

He knows the stuff and I know you too, @sickle, now I wait and if any problem, I will describe it here. :D