new user - pointers on how to start

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
fdpsan
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5552

new user - pointers on how to start

Post by fdpsan » October 10th, 2019, 9:06 am

Hello all,

I'm a backend programmer and CS teacher and I've been willing to make stuff on the ps1 for a long time (I mostly do enterprisey Java stuff (booooring) and some Unity/Godot).

I'm looking for pointers on how to set my toolchains, what should I read first to get started and to have a better grasp on the system. The ideal for me would be to be able to use some kind of unix (i'm on a mac, but I could use docker or whatnot for the toolchain). I think I understood that there was some version of GCC that could be used to target the ps1 CPU. (But that means i'm not using Psy-Q, right? )

While I was searching, I stumbled on this link : http://onorisoft.free.fr/retro.htm?psx/ ... l/tuto.htm
So I bought an Xplorer FX which should arrive in the following days (UK > France, so not that long, unless the brexit happens out of nowhere and fucks up the delivery :lol: ) and as far as I understand, when it will be flashed with caetaflash, i'll be able to send programs from the serial port (or whatnot, I guess I can use an adapter, but fortunately old thinkpads does have serial ports).

I'm calling for your hacker wisdom, psxdev community :praise

fdpsan
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5552

Post by fdpsan » October 12th, 2019, 8:52 am

Well, I started doing stuff by messing around with the examples from Orion's lib.
I don't know if it the best alternative, but it's certainly the one where it's easy to make sprites moving on the screen.

Dhust
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Programming and Electronics Student

Post by Dhust » October 13th, 2019, 12:53 pm

If you're looking for how to setup an environment for using the official SDK:
I have this simple example using a bat file to setup the environment and makefile to build and create a PS1 ISO.
https://github.com/dhustkoder/psxdev