PSX spu and FF7 music

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
piarro
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

PSX spu and FF7 music

Post by piarro » June 17th, 2019, 11:43 pm

Hello everyone,

FIrst i’d like to mention that I have no knowledge in coding whatsoever. I’m just a musician & very fond of some PSX games soundtracks; especially FF7.

From what i’ve read on the Playstation SPU, the sounds (violins, drums, guitar…) in Final Fantasy VII are not pre-recorded but come from the sound chip. My question is, how does Nobuo Uematsu make the console produce the sounds he composed? Why do the violins in the FF7 OST sound like they do? And… is there a way to access these “virtual instruments” one way or another?

If this is impossible, I intend to sample them note-per-note from the channels in the .psf files of the OST, which I read in audio overload.

Still, the process of implementing music in retro games (especially PSX) is intriguing and remains a mystery to me.
Could anybody clarify it for me?

Thank you very much!

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 18th, 2019, 12:45 am

They play them like like a tracker does on the Amiga for example. The PSX SPU has channels which can play high quality samples. Using clever code, you can swap them out quickly from working memory to SPU memory, thus giving you a dynamic range of music or audio effects.

You can extract them using the right tools if need be, but sometimes they use a custom format so you'll need to figure out how to decode them in order to extract them.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » June 18th, 2019, 12:11 pm

You may also check Nisto's psfisolate.

piarro
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by piarro » June 27th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick replies; I'm checking this out.