Playstation maintenance/re-calibration to improve reading/audio issues?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
tessa
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Playstation 1 Gamer
PlayStation Model: 1001

Playstation maintenance/re-calibration to improve reading/audio issues?

Post by tessa » June 2nd, 2019, 1:16 am

Hello my model I believe is 1001. Anyways I understand there isn't many service manuals available but in regards to something I read a few years back.. There's a nut you can tweak the voltage on which I believe pertains to the motor which I would assume affects performance/reliability/readability..

But I don't know the voltage nor if you guys might know that is supposed to be set.. Maybe the same as what might be rated on the motor? I guess I can look later today, but my system has occasional issues with reading discs that have been resurfaced or whatever you call it.

There are days where it will read just fine and load and other days it will not move passed the PlayStation logo appearing. Another annoyance is a game my wife plays where there is constant dialogue to aid the player- the audio cuts in some parts of the sentence- other than cleaning the laser what else can I do if the discs condition are satisfactory?

Also I am not using the original laser that came with this model- I have long ago swapped it out for the 5201's (or some other model) laser I believe if that's relevant.

Are there perhaps any other odd issues with this model that doesn't pertain to the laser/motor section that could affect these problems? Any insight or suggestions are welcome :mrgreen:
+++++++++TRUMP 2020++++++++++
//////////:triangle\\\\\\\\\\\--------
|||||:circle===:square||||||-----
\\\\\\\\\\:cross///////////-----------

+++++++++TESSA++++++++++

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 2nd, 2019, 3:44 am

Usually it's the motor alignment failing due to degraded plastics. Those potentiometers are used to adjust the voltage rails to the diode as well as adjusting the phase. Best to not touch them unless you have an oscilloscope to get the eye pattern present to calibrate. There's a topic about this in the forums, just search for it.

Best solution is to just get a PSIO Cartridge. Removes all the issues and frustrating problems to do with the CD-ROM drive.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » June 2nd, 2019, 3:54 am

Quick question Shadow:

Would a motherboard where the potentiometers would have been messed up with could affect in some way PSIO functionnality ?
I guess not but still asking.
Thanks

tessa
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Playstation 1 Gamer
PlayStation Model: 1001

Post by tessa » June 2nd, 2019, 4:00 am

Shadow wrote: June 2nd, 2019, 3:44 am Usually it's the motor alignment failing due to degraded plastics. Those potentiometers are used to adjust the voltage rails to the diode as well as adjusting the phase. Best to not touch them unless you have an oscilloscope to get the eye pattern present to calibrate. There's a topic about this in the forums, just search for it.

Best solution is to just get a PSIO Cartridge. Removes all the issues and frustrating problems to do with the CD-ROM drive.
I've been looking at it today. Heavily considering it.. I just gotta get permission from spouse- I am sure she will agree. Thank you for the clarification on what those were. Happy to see you still participating.
Squaresoft74 wrote: June 2nd, 2019, 3:54 am Quick question Shadow:

Would a motherboard where the potentiometers would have been messed up with could affect in some way PSIO functionnality ?
I guess not but still asking.
Thanks
I believe the potentiometers are completely useless in the case of PSIO because that aims to circumvent CD usage entirely.
+++++++++TRUMP 2020++++++++++
//////////:triangle\\\\\\\\\\\--------
|||||:circle===:square||||||-----
\\\\\\\\\\:cross///////////-----------

+++++++++TESSA++++++++++

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 3rd, 2019, 1:16 am

tessa wrote: I believe the potentiometers are completely useless in the case of PSIO because that aims to circumvent CD usage entirely.
Correct.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » June 3rd, 2019, 12:51 pm

Thanks for confirming.