Username: Lameguy64
Project Title: n00bDEMO
Time to Complete: 5 months
SDK: PSn00bSDK
Genre: Demo
Latest Release: SDK Release
In Development: May receive occasional updates
Initial Release Date: 20-MARCH-2019
Last Date Updated: 06-APRIL-2019 (in Github repo)
Controller: none
Players: none
Memory Card: none
Languages: Eng
Region: Auto (uses video standard of last video mode)
Burn and Play: Yes
Executable Included: Yes
Source Included: In PSn00bSDK examples

Here's a new PlayStation demo from me for the first time in years! Man its been such a long time since the last demo I released called Meido-Demo back in 2013. This demo pretty much shows how much I've improved since my early days in PS1 and C programming around the time my last demo was released.

This demo is not only significantly more advanced than my last demo but is also made using an SDK of my own called PSn00bSDK. Yes, I've actually conjured up my own SDK with libraries written mostly in MIPS assembly that can actually do 3D graphics with full GTE support making it up to the level of the official SDK in terms of graphics capabilities. Though its pretty bare bones as of the release of this demo as it mostly supports the GPU and GTE and not so much on anything else as this is mostly an experimental project. But this is proof of concept that with enough effort, a homebrewn SDK that is on-par to the official SDK is possible and should be possible considering the PlayStation hardware has been extensively documented by now.

I recommend just watching the video of this demo or running it in an emulator or loading it to your console via serial cable or Xplorer as it would be wasteful to burn a disc containing just this demo as there's no CD or MOD based music in this demo at all. I never got CD stuff working in my SDK and all the existing mod players for the PS1 are either incompatible or unfit for this project.

(screenshots are taken off an emulator, psxfin to be precise)
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-yig5ujw0o[/BBvideo]
(video is captured from real hardware)

PS-EXE, and ISO: http://lameguy64.tk/download/n00bdemo.zip
Github repo of PSn00bSDK including n00bDemo source: https://github.com/Lameguy64/PSn00bSDK
If my self-hosted mirror turned out to be unreliable I'll create a mirror on Mediafire when necessary.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LameGuy64 on June 13th, 2019, 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Game Designer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by NITROYUASH » March 21st, 2019, 1:53 am

Jesus Christ i am sleeping or what? This is so amazing! I can't wait to work with this SDK :>

Now, the questions.
1. PSn00bSDK is a full software development kit or it's working under the Psy-Q?
2. It will be an open source SDK?
3. What software included in this SDK?
Last edited by NITROYUASH on March 21st, 2019, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RootLM
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by RootLM » March 21st, 2019, 1:27 pm

This is really good and i'm certainly going to mess around with the SDK when its released, but a few questions: does it support C99, and does it have floating point emulation like Psy-Q?

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » March 21st, 2019, 5:20 pm

NITROYUASH wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:53 am 1. PSn00bSDK is a full software development kit or it's working under the Psy-Q?
Yes, PSn00bSDK is entirely its own SDK that works with recent versions of the GNU GCC toolchain. It does not depend on any existing PS1 SDK.
NITROYUASH wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:53 am 2. It will be an open source SDK?
Yes.
NITROYUASH wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:53 am 3. What software included in this SDK?
Likely going to include an elf2x executable converter, an lzpack file compression/packing utility with accompanying libraries for the PS1 application side and probably a copy of mkpsxiso in pre-compiled binary releases. I'm not sure if I'll include Scarlet SMD tools as its too premature for production use I feel.
RootLM wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:27 pm does it support C99, and does it have floating point emulation like Psy-Q
PSn00bSDK was made to work with GCC 7.2.0 which may still have C99 support if you really want to, I haven't checked if C99 support is still good in newer versions of GCC however.

As for floating point emulation, GCC does have floating point emulation using the --soft-float command line option when compiling code and the libraries are compiled with that option set by default. For performance reasons I generally don't recommend doing extensive arithmetic operations with floats (ie. handling character position and collision detection).
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

Misscelan
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Misscelan » March 23rd, 2019, 10:25 pm

Very impressive, keep up the excellent work!
I'm now very busy right now but at some point I would like to port what I have done to your SDK.

Tom_tomson
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Tom_tomson » March 31st, 2019, 2:44 am

Hey how’s the release coming along?
I’m really interested in seeing how everything works.

Thanks for showing off

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » April 6th, 2019, 2:30 pm

I'm proud to announce that PSn00bSDK is finally released which includes source code of this demo as an example program! While it is still currently a work in progress I believe it is currently the best starting point for making a 100% free and open source replacement of the official PS1 SDK as it has the best GPU and GTE support out of most other open source PS1 SDK projects I've seen thus far.

Links to the Github repo can be found in the first post of this thread.

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » April 6th, 2019, 6:32 pm

I had a project to code my own sdk for my favorite console, but when I see all the work you have done on this SDK, I simply can't believe I would have succeeded in doing the same thing myself.
This is an awesome achievement you made there, optimized in assembly, with a capable 3D engine, I hope you can add the CD rom part soon, as this is lacking in most open source sdk.
hats off to you sir!

(the admin of this forum should modify your "Psy-Q Enthusiast" status to "low level psx expert" ^^)
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Xavi92 » April 6th, 2019, 8:35 pm

This is an absolutely impressive work you made here, and I am expecting to see how far you can bring it. I really want this project to grow and become the new standard for PSX programming, so we all finally have a robust open-source SDK built by enthusiasts to enthusiasts and forget about closed-source and deprecated tools once and for all!

Hats off to you, sir!

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » April 6th, 2019, 9:05 pm

good work man!

Sent as a PM

Thanks again.
Mike.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » April 7th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I ain't listening to advice from a Unity3D Shader.

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Xavi92 » April 10th, 2019, 12:40 am

I also sent you a PM a few days ago. Please let me know if it reached your inbox.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » April 10th, 2019, 1:27 am

Xavi92 wrote: April 6th, 2019, 8:35 pm This is an absolutely impressive work you made here, and I am expecting to see how far you can bring it. I really want this project to grow and become the new standard for PSX programming, so we all finally have a robust open-source SDK built by enthusiasts to enthusiasts and forget about closed-source and deprecated tools once and for all!

Hats off to you, sir!
My thoughts exactly! Can't wait to see how this matures and to be able to have a fully open solution that doesn't rely on the old tools.

The demo (in my eyes) is the best I have seen and in such a small filesize!

Thanks

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » April 24th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Excellent work LameGuy64, very impressive :)
I really appreciate that you shared the source for your SDK on GitHub.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

nitrofurano
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by nitrofurano » June 7th, 2019, 8:09 am

i wonder how easily would be using it combined with BaCon (for all that people that don’t enjoy coding in C), use simple low-poly models converted from .obj files (exported from Blender, for example), etc. - if people can help sharing tutorials (specially on GNU/Linux, and using software-libre only), please do!!!

nitrofurano
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by nitrofurano » June 7th, 2019, 8:13 am

and besides tutorials and examples, would be great seeing a kind of game development contest (perhaps organized here in this forum, in some thread?), not only for promoting such amazing development tool in the ps1 retro scene, as helping keeping ps1 alive with new stuff created

paulm
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by paulm » June 11th, 2019, 6:58 am

I would like to know more about the compiler issues. I.e are they actually compiler issues or is it just UB in the codebase. Modern GCC has a lot of tools to help detect this kind of thing so its probably worth investigating if its a thing thats likely to make you quit the project.

Arnold101
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Arnold101 » December 25th, 2019, 1:02 pm

i want to run it in 60 hz, but psx serial boot in pal mode and so the demo, how i can do?

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » February 19th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Wow, that's a stunning demo, even completely ignoring the homebrew SDK!

Nice variety of effects btw!
Has there been much in the way of cel shading on the psx btw?
Cool to see it running with normal smoothing, etc.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » February 20th, 2020, 4:08 am

Arnold101 wrote: December 25th, 2019, 1:02 pm i want to run it in 60 hz, but psx serial boot in pal mode and so the demo, how i can do?
I may be a bit late but try with Danhans42's sioloader here.