Playstation SCPH-7502 Loading speed

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
[C]oopeZz
BANNED
BANNED
I am a: Electromechanic

Playstation SCPH-7502 Loading speed

Post by [C]oopeZz » March 17th, 2019, 4:48 am

Hello,

I recently found SCPH-7502 in pretty bad condition and I'm about to recondition it. What makes me confusing is loading speed. When I compare loading speed with my other console, it's sightly slower (Gran turismo 2 loading is slower about 4 seconds). Where is problem? Could be the laser faulty? If yes, can I simply replace it with any other I buy? Thanks! :D
[PC]
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4
MB: B450M Gaming Plus
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: 120GB Kingston
-----
[PS 1]
Model: SCPH-9002
Modchip: No
-----
[PS Classic]
Model: SCPH-1000R
Mod: BleemSync 1.2.0
Current limiter removed for USB port 2

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » March 18th, 2019, 2:49 am

Yeah, slow loading can certainly be caused by a bad CD assembly. Depending on what you mean by "bad condition", it might be worth cleaning the optical pickup assembly - if the unit was stored in dusty conditions, it might have dust on the turning mirror inside the pickup, and that can cause the read quality to deteriorate.

[C]oopeZz
BANNED
BANNED

Post by [C]oopeZz » March 18th, 2019, 11:26 am

TriMesh wrote: March 18th, 2019, 2:49 am Yeah, slow loading can certainly be caused by a bad CD assembly. Depending on what you mean by "bad condition", it might be worth cleaning the optical pickup assembly - if the unit was stored in dusty conditions, it might have dust on the turning mirror inside the pickup, and that can cause the read quality to deteriorate.
Yes, little bit dusty. Question is how to recognize bad CD assembly... It looks just "normal" :D . I guess I do clean up first.
[PC]
SSD: 120GB Kingston
-----
[PS 1]
Model: SCPH-9002
Modchip: No
-----
[PS Classic]
Model: SCPH-1000R
Mod: BleemSync 1.2.0
Current limiter removed for USB port 2

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » March 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

[C]oopeZz wrote: March 18th, 2019, 11:26 am
TriMesh wrote: March 18th, 2019, 2:49 am Yeah, slow loading can certainly be caused by a bad CD assembly. Depending on what you mean by "bad condition", it might be worth cleaning the optical pickup assembly - if the unit was stored in dusty conditions, it might have dust on the turning mirror inside the pickup, and that can cause the read quality to deteriorate.
Yes, little bit dusty. Question is how to recognize bad CD assembly... It looks just "normal" :D . I guess I do clean up first.
Unfortunately, one of the parts that commonly gets dirty is rather hard to get to - there is a 45 degree mirror located below the lens and in order to clean it, you need to remove the sled assembly from the pickup, remove the plastic cover over the lens positioner and then (carefully!) lift the lens up to get at the mirror. Isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud works well for this.

If you have access to a scope, you can get a very good indication of the state of the optical pickup by monitoring the signal on the RF testpoint (CL704 on the SCPH-750x) - it's nominally 1Vp-p, but will typically be slightly higher on a good unit (say 1.1V) - if it gets down to 800mV, then you are likely to have read problems. Those numbers are for original pressed discs - if you use CD-Rs expect a smaller signal since they are less reflective.

[C]oopeZz
BANNED
BANNED

Post by [C]oopeZz » March 18th, 2019, 6:54 pm

"Hard to get to" but not impossible. Thanks, I'll try. ^^
[PC]