Tomb Raider: Chronicles (Decompile)

Start a work log and update it occasionally with your projects progress
Gh0stBlade
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Tomb Raider: Chronicles (Decompile)

Post by Gh0stBlade » February 18th, 2019, 5:18 am

Hey everyone! I've been working on decompiling the source code for Tomb Raider: Chronicles (PSX) over the past two years now. We're starting to see in-game graphics in the emulated PSXPC_N branch.

Video

I thought some of you might be interested, feel free to come along and make contributions :)

TOMB5 (via GitHub)
GitHub/TOMB5

lamb_of_senpai
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by lamb_of_senpai » February 20th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Looks great! I actually stumbled upon your project a while ago when I was doing some decompiling myself and found it to be really interesting and useful. If there are any particular techniques/insights you've discovered in your research of the code I'd be really interested to hear them.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 1st, 2019, 4:11 am

Bloody hell, that's going to be a mission to reverse. Why Tomb Raider though. Why not do something more popular like Gran Turismo or Crash Team Racing. It would be awesome to add in Link-Cable support to Crash Team Racing or Gran Turismo ;)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Gh0stBlade
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Gh0stBlade » April 30th, 2019, 12:34 am

lamb_of_senpai wrote: February 20th, 2019, 4:47 pm Looks great! I actually stumbled upon your project a while ago when I was doing some decompiling myself and found it to be really interesting and useful. If there are any particular techniques/insights you've discovered in your research of the code I'd be really interested to hear them.
Thanks!

I will definitely consider writing something up with hints, tips and techniques on decompiling PSX games at a later point. It's just tedious and time consuming work. After two years we finally have the title screen showing.
Shadow wrote: April 1st, 2019, 4:11 am Bloody hell, that's going to be a mission to reverse. Why Tomb Raider though. Why not do something more popular like Gran Turismo or Crash Team Racing. It would be awesome to add in Link-Cable support to Crash Team Racing or Gran Turismo ;)
I chose Tomb Raider: Chronicles because I'm a fan of Tomb Raider. Also, we have debugging symbols for the PSX version of this game which makes reverse engineering much easier. There are other popular games which I wanted to decompile such as Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver but unfortunately I cannot work on these other projects since it's already enough hassle with just one.

-----

We actually wrote a PSX SDK HLE emulator to get the project running across PC, Linux and Mac. It is still a work in progress though and there are many features missing from the emulator and some bugs to fix.

PSXPC (OpenGL Emulated)
PSX

Cheers.

Gh0stBlade
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Gh0stBlade » June 5th, 2019, 3:25 am

Status update!

Room and items drawing :)

TOMB5 (via GitHub)
GitHub/TOMB5

smf
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by smf » June 12th, 2019, 12:18 am

Hi,

I'm glad you found my gte code useful, you didn't credit me but I know it so well that I can recognize it anyway :D

Where did you copy it from? It's been taken by a few people who claimed it as their own over the years.

Gh0stBlade
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Gh0stBlade » June 12th, 2019, 12:42 am

smf2 wrote: June 12th, 2019, 12:18 am Hi,

I'm glad you found my gte code useful, you didn't credit me but I know it so well that I can recognize it anyway :D

Where did you copy it from? It's been taken by a few people who claimed it as their own over the years.
Hi, thanks for letting me know. It's actually taken from PCSX-R emulator for now. In the future all GTE code will be stripped out (This is mostly used for experimental purposes on the PSXPC_N code path for TOMB5). I am more than happy to credit you for the work you did on that GTE emulator. Will update the readme credits section accordingly. (Note: GTE addition is relatively new to the project).

Cheers.

smf
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by smf » July 23rd, 2019, 10:42 am

Gh0stBlade wrote: June 12th, 2019, 12:42 amIn the future all GTE code will be stripped out (This is mostly used for experimental purposes on the PSXPC_N code path for TOMB5).
What are you going to replace it with?