Small introduction

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
DEBRO
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Small introduction

Post by DEBRO » February 20th, 2013, 10:56 am

Hi there,

I'm glad I found this site. I have enjoyed my PlayStation since 1995. I still have my original even though it still skips now and then.

I have done homebrew games before. I've primarily focused on the Atari2600. I liked the challenge of working with the limitations of the machine (i.e. 128 bytes of RAM, 4K ROM space, no VRAM, etc.). Dangerboy did the artwork for my Climber 5 game in the AtariAge store.

I've played around with doing PlayStation development before though nothing real serious. I wanted a Net Yaroze when it was announced but couldn't justify paying $750 for it at the time. I have since added a blue and a green development machine to my collection. I was glad to see some homebrew SDKs that allowed me to play around with developing for this machine.

I did a Pong game (not too difficult...right?) a while back but never finished polishing it up. It works fine in the emulator. I've never tried it on the real system. I used Bladelibs as my SDK. It is limited but it allowed me to get something going quickly. I used sprites for the paddles and ball even though they could have been rendered directly. I wanted to play around with sprites so that is why I went that route. Now that I've found this site, I'll continue with the polish (i.e. title screen and options) and maybe submit it for educational purposes. I guess someone may find it useful.

I wanted to join the coding competition for this year but it appears my schedule is getting in the way. I didn't see it until 2 months after it started. I look forward to seeing what people produce.

I'll continue to tinker with the PlayStation as time permits. Hopefully I'll finish a game I have in mind one day.

Anyway...thanks for reading and I look forward to the many projects that are to come.

Dangerboy
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by Dangerboy » February 20th, 2013, 3:39 pm

DENNIS!

Hi. :D

DEBRO
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by DEBRO » February 24th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Hi Jason,
Dangerboy wrote:DENNIS!

Hi. :D
Yes, I'm a PlayStation fan though not to your caliber :D I admire your collection. Maybe we could get together again for some art work.