Making a PSX CD Image from a PSX EXE File

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Randall_Flagg
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Making a PSX CD Image from a PSX EXE File

Post by Randall_Flagg » April 6th, 2018, 12:12 am

Hi, First time post a great forum here!

I have a CD image of "The Retrocoder Collection", a set of old skool PSX Homebrew arcade emulations written by Anthony Ball of then Double Dutch Designs, now Sinister Soft. He sent it to me to put on an old PSX homebrew web page I used to run a long time ago.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, if you burned the image to a CD, it used to work on a modded PSX, and on PS2 with first gen modchip (real old skool mod that booted PSX games and needed AR disc and modchip to boot PS2 games). However it stopped booting on next gen modchips (Messiah and beyond). I am guess due to the way the mod chip emulated the PSX/PS2 boot sequence.

I have recently tried using the image on PopStarter and that is also unable to run the image.

I have tried the image and the exectuable on ePSXe and runs perfectly. (I guess ePSXe gives the booting a helping hand..)

I have tried a few hacks (exeFixup and then BootEdit, PSX CDGen etc) to try and make the CD image a more compatible one but still no luck at this point.

Can anyone suggest how I can take a PSX executable along with a directory of games and a SYSTEM.CNF and get a working CD image out of the other side please?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 6th, 2018, 12:51 am

Use the program "BUILDCD" or LameGuy64's "MKPSXISO" program.
Then license it with "PSXLICENSE".
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Randall_Flagg
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Randall_Flagg » April 6th, 2018, 7:41 am

Many thanks. Will give them a try!

Edit: Didn’t work unfortunately. Image creation and license went well but ULaunchElf only runs up the licensing screen then crashes. Never mind thanks for the advice

Edit 2: have burned the image and boots fine from modchip boot so Some success. Thanks for the advice!