UniROM 8.0.K - GDB Debugging, install/backup to/from memory card, homebrew from memcard, etc

Downloadable items posted by PSXDEV members are within this forum.
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 31st, 2017, 12:41 pm

WolfyAmbassador wrote:Chrome is blocking the download, and I got a warning when I clicked on the link.
Scan it using VirusTotal to be sure it's safe.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

WolfyAmbassador
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by WolfyAmbassador » December 31st, 2017, 1:04 pm

Shadow wrote:
WolfyAmbassador wrote:Chrome is blocking the download, and I got a warning when I clicked on the link.
Scan it using VirusTotal to be sure it's safe.
My result: https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/2c9958 ... /detection

Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 31st, 2017, 2:23 pm

It's clean.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

WolfyAmbassador
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by WolfyAmbassador » December 31st, 2017, 2:48 pm

Then what was the reason for why it was flagged?

notmeither
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by notmeither » December 31st, 2017, 4:05 pm

Posting my experience with my unmodified SCPH-7501 using the Standalone UniROM V6.

I have ran into an issue where I was trying to load Dino Crisis unpatched for anti-piracy protection. The game detected a mod and prompted me to restart. After restarting R2 no longer worked to load games...

I ended up having to reseat the connections for the rom drive for it to load using R2 again like normal.

Any ideas? :shrug

*edit
Even using a patched version of Dino Crisis, causes me to be unable to load Castlevania SotN or any other game again using R2. I guess I need a modchip after all?
Last edited by notmeither on January 1st, 2018, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » December 31st, 2017, 10:36 pm

WolfyAmbassador wrote:Then what was the reason for why it was flagged?
It may have been misflagged because of the way it was coded. It happens sometimes, especially with tools used for hacking etc, even if its something as simple as a console hacking tool. Sicklebrick is a well established member here (been here much longer than I have been) and tons of people use this program without a hitch, its clean.

Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 31st, 2017, 11:13 pm

WolfyAmbassador wrote:Then what was the reason for why it was flagged?
It's a false-positive. The code contains routines that may be suspicious because of how they act based on key generator programs which most virus programs base their code definitions on. Those 6 programs are also extremely unpopular and shouldn't even be accounted for.

mikeyp
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by mikeyp » January 13th, 2018, 9:01 pm

I'm really struggling with this. It's a great tool from the look of it. I'm following this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwl6fygKep0

I have an un-modded SCPH-1002 with PU-8 motherboard and the newer GPU. I also have 3 different cartridges. A generic SMART CARTRIDGE, Pro Action Replay V1.5 with 128kb EEPROM and an Action Replay Professional V3 with 512kb EEPROM. All give the same problem.

The disc loads fine and detects the cartridges, then when I press start it says "no rom's found". I can't obviously get any further.

I have tried the Unirom V6 CD and V0.44 CD, both with the same problem.

I'll post pictures if anyone can suggest where I can upload them. I used to use photobucket but obviously that's a no-go now.

mikeyp
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by mikeyp » January 14th, 2018, 12:07 am

Ok, getting a little further.

ImgBurn crashes Windows 10 1709. I was using AnyBurn. Something isn't right with all that.

I burned the V6 CD on a different CDR at 4x on an old XP laptop with ImgBurn and now the PS1 sees the ROMs. 4x is the slowest I can do.

The generic cart says EEPROM not detected so I'm guessing that's a no-go. I didn't want to overwrite the PAR V1.5 but I guess that's how it'll have to be.

Is it possible to backup or download the firmware for it so I can restore it if I want in future?

Octane
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Octane » January 18th, 2018, 11:09 am

How do you add your own plugins, and how do they work exactly? Could I for example add the Xplorer/Xploder rom as a plugin so that I could play cutscenes from it for example?

Dutchman2000
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Dutchman2000 » January 21st, 2018, 11:28 am

I just flashed my gameshark with unirom V6, every game works except for SOTN. It doesn’t load up at all. I hope it becomes playable at some point. Great program in spite of this. Thanks so much for creating it.

Shikore
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Shikore » January 23rd, 2018, 4:24 am

I have a little trouble getting UniROM working in my case. My goal is to boot my pal games on my japanese SCPH-7000.
I sucessfully flashed UniROM+Caetla+Plugin+NTSC on my Xplorer cartridge but now i can't boot any games with UniROM, even my japanese games !

I tried the R1 R2, only the Fastboot thing and the Caetla Boot. Games just don't boot.
The only thing that i don't understand is the enable swap option. Is it useful in my case ?

Can you help me ? :)

TriMesh
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » January 23rd, 2018, 11:35 pm

The nocash unlock is not going to work on the SCPH-7000 (or any other console with a Japan region CD controller) because the CD firmware doesn't support it. Normal booting of in-region discs should still work, though.

iaiajo
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by iaiajo » January 25th, 2018, 11:30 am

Hi guys, I have some troubles with unirom and I don't know if is my cartridge or something else, this is my setup:

* PS SCPH-7501
* GameShark V.2.4
* imgburn @4x with verbatim white cds (castlevania: SoTN and destruction derby)
* a retail copy of NAMCOMUSEUM

I flashed the card and all is good buy when I try to load the burned copies with R1 and R2 nothing happens (the same with the retail) if y try to manually select fast boot with the d-pad it shows the iso part number (the castlevania: SoTN id SLUS-00067) and goes black after that and nothing else happens, can someone please help me with this?.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my broken english :P

WolfyAmbassador
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by WolfyAmbassador » January 29th, 2018, 5:28 am

Can you use this method on Japanese PS1 with same cartridge?

sickle
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » January 30th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Dutchman2000 wrote: January 21st, 2018, 11:28 am I just flashed my gameshark with unirom V6, every game works except for SOTN. It doesn’t load up at all. I hope it becomes playable at some point. Great program in spite of this. Thanks so much for creating it.
Working on SOTN, but gotta do a few fixes for the PSIO fastboot first and that's taking priority.
On the upside, I have a working setup again.
Shikore wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 4:24 am I have a little trouble getting UniROM working in my case. My goal is to boot my pal games on my japanese SCPH-7000.
I sucessfully flashed UniROM+Caetla+Plugin+NTSC on my Xplorer cartridge but now i can't boot any games with UniROM, even my japanese games !
Yeah, like TRIMesh said, the unlock won't work for you, but you can just boot up with a dark original CD in, then hit the hotswap button, the disk will stop spinning, and you can now boot from the burned/import disk. You'll have to jam the sensor down, but you can use a little spring for that.
iaiajo wrote: January 25th, 2018, 11:30 am CD Booting is a little fucky, but yeah I'm working on that shortly!
Octane wrote: January 18th, 2018, 11:09 am How do you add your own plugins, and how do they work exactly? Could I for example add the Xplorer/Xploder rom as a plugin so that I could play cutscenes from it for example?
Aaah, nono. The plugins are just a psx.exe - an executable file, rather than a rom.
For example Shendo's MCLaunch is a little PS program that lets you run stuff from the memory card. When you run ADD_PLUGIN.bat, it just adds that file to the end of the unirom rom, which is then detected and can be launched.
E.g.
[ Unirom.rom ] + [ Plugin.exe ] = [ Unirom.rom_Plugin.rom ]
mikeyp wrote: January 13th, 2018, 9:01 pm
The disc loads fine and detects the cartridges, then when I press start it says "no rom's found". I can't obviously get any further.
Yeah I screwed up a bit here, if you start XFlash from the triangle menu it only accepts input through the parallel port. I forgot to init the CD drive first in the last release, this'll be fixed!

WolfyAmbassador
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by WolfyAmbassador » January 31st, 2018, 11:12 am

I can't even boot up japanese region backups with this method. I'm not sure if it's a cart, model, or hardware issue.

TriMesh
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude

Post by TriMesh » January 31st, 2018, 2:16 pm

WolfyAmbassador wrote: January 31st, 2018, 11:12 am I can't even boot up japanese region backups with this method. I'm not sure if it's a cart, model, or hardware issue.
Which region is your console? If it's Japanese (SCPH-xxx0) or Asia (SCPH-xxx3) then the nocash unlock won't work because it's not supported by the code in the CD ROM controller chip.

You can still use the swap method, but you will have to somehow defeat the lid switch on the CD drive.

WolfyAmbassador
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by WolfyAmbassador » January 31st, 2018, 2:21 pm

TriMesh wrote: January 31st, 2018, 2:16 pm
WolfyAmbassador wrote: January 31st, 2018, 11:12 am I can't even boot up japanese region backups with this method. I'm not sure if it's a cart, model, or hardware issue.
Which region is your console? If it's Japanese (SCPH-xxx0) or Asia (SCPH-xxx3) then the nocash unlock won't work because it's not supported by the code in the CD ROM controller chip.

You can still use the swap method, but you will have to somehow defeat the lid switch on the CD drive.
Hopefully it will be compatible in the future, because damn, I was going to use it to play backups and japanese games on this ntsc-j model. Please elaborate a little more on the swap issue.

Thanks.

TriMesh
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude

Post by TriMesh » January 31st, 2018, 8:36 pm

WolfyAmbassador wrote: January 31st, 2018, 2:21 pm Hopefully it will be compatible in the future, because damn, I was going to use it to play backups and japanese games on this ntsc-j model. Please elaborate a little more on the swap issue.

Thanks.
The "nocash unlock" bit is never going to be compatible with any console with a Japanese CD controller - this isn't a deficiency in Unirom, it's simply that SCEI intentionally disabled the backdoor commands that the nocash unlock uses in their consoles. You can't do anything about this because the program is built into the chip at manufacture time.

I suspect there is some sort of deeper incompatibility with the Japanese boot ROM, though - I have an Explorer FX flashed with the Caetla+Unirom combo and have been using it on my SCPH-7003 (PU18, JP CD controller, US boot ROM), and it works - taking the same cartridge and connecting it to a Japanese machine doesn't - Caetla will boot correctly but if you put the switch in the off position then you get a blank screen. Just to make sure this wasn't a bad connection, I tried it on 3 different NTSC:J consoles (2 x SCPH-7000, 1 x SCPH-7500) and got the same result each time. Interestingly, a few times I got a blank screen in PAL mode, although the mode was correctly detected as NTSC on the SCPH-7003.

There is also an image alignment issue with NTSC (the screen is moved up, the banner at the top is clipped and there are lines at the side of the screen), but this is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the operation. I also tested on a SCPH-5502 and it all displays correctly. This seems to be a PAL vs NTSC thing since a SCPH-7501 displays with the same errors as the SCPH-7003.

I am starting to think maybe I have too many PlayStations, though...