PS1 Memory Card does not format or detect (Genuine)

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
alisson
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

PS1 Memory Card does not format or detect (Genuine)

Post by alisson » August 27th, 2017, 12:33 am

Hi.

I have a Genuine PS1 Memory Card that detects on my PS2 but does not format. I tried to format using the Browser and it appears "Formatting Failed", I tried using MC Killer, Format64, Annihilator and MC Format and could not format.

In the Playstation 1 Console, this card can not even detect.

All the pins on the Memory Card are perfect and clean. Is there a PC tool to repair this Card? I think it's totally corrupted I dont know.

Edit: Upload img

Thanks for any tip

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » August 27th, 2017, 10:41 am

My best guess would be that the flash chip inside the memory card is 'toast.' There is one other thing you could try b4 calling it quits tho. There's a project on the forums here called memcardduino where you can build a memory card reader using an arduino device for injecting homebrew and save files to a memory card from a pc. I'd link to it, but I'm on my phone- so hunting for it would b less than ideal :p.

If that doesn't work, or ur not up for the challenge, it's time for a new card

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Student

Post by CodeAsm » December 25th, 2017, 11:17 pm

You could desolder the actualy flashchip if all else fails and use a eeprom reading to look at the bytes, recover whats lost. but thats only usefull for if you want to recover something, if memcardduino doesnt see it, or fails like your ps2, sounds like either the controll or flashchip is broken. (you could look at the pcb first to see if some resistor is broken or capasitor. but if they are, replacing would probably be too late)
Development Console: SCPH-102, unkown clone Modchip, PAL , FTDI board build into the case (microUSB) for Serial I/O.
Development Computer: GNU/Linux, Arch x86_64 Linux 4.20.3, i7-3632QM [8x3.2GHz], 11,8GiB, 1366x768 GeForce GT 630M (Optimus tech), lots of gig of storage