How ps1 games was made before?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
nekloc
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

How ps1 games was made before?

Post by nekloc » July 31st, 2017, 3:15 am

In beginning of playstation,which are the softwares of modeling and sound of the time. There was an engine that the programmers use or only companies can use?If yes,which are names?How was the consolidation assets,coding and sound for the game?

I wanna know the basic process to make a game of ps1 at about 1998.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » July 31st, 2017, 5:37 am

AAA developers would've had access to the native SDK and most would be writing their own game engines from scratch. As for modeling etc, i'm not sure.

Amateur programmers who were part of the Net Yaroze had access to an SDK called Psy-Q. Correct me if im wromg, but I belirve Psy-Q was limited in functionality compared to what the "big boys" got.

Of course I'm only speculating about there being two different SDK's, there very well could've just been Psy-Q. Better wait for somebody else to clarify that part

nekloc
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by nekloc » July 31st, 2017, 1:34 pm

It makes sense to have 2 sdk, has link here in the kotaku the original devolopment kit,looks like one workstation and can be a different sdk include.
http://kotaku.com/5812456/for-35000-you ... -ps1-games

About assets I found these program of playstation era(many of them discontinued) :
For modelling 3d and cg:
Softimage 3D(make resident evil and crash)
PowerAnimator(make FFVII)

For textures:
-Animator Pro
-Deluxe Paint
-and Photoshop

For soundtrack:
I don't find yet.

About engines some pc games used,but I not find on playstation,each one make his own way.
I'll wait and see more answers.Thanks for your awswer.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » August 13th, 2017, 1:18 pm

likeabaus wrote:Amateur programmers who were part of the Net Yaroze had access to an SDK called Psy-Q. Correct me if im wromg, but I belirve Psy-Q was limited in functionality compared to what the "big boys" got.

Of course I'm only speculating about there being two different SDK's, there very well could've just been Psy-Q. Better wait for somebody else to clarify that part
TMK, The pro kit is Psy-Q, Net Yaroze used Sony (SCEI) 's original libps & libgs libs, which abstracted (slower) 3D hardware, ie ridge race/Res Evil etc.
Psy-Q is more low level with access to GPU hardware etc, where as NY didn't.
Saying that NY is probably smaller and easier to learn, and was only 3% the of a pro kit!!! :lol:

The process is the same as late 90's, very low level data/ram manipulation etc.
I use the NY tools, which I assume are the same as the Pro kit's ie timtool, converters etc.
In addition, I use PaintShop Pro, Gimp, inkscape & fragmotion for 3D, LMMS for midi, audacity for wav.
I'm no artist tho, so something better is probably out there.