PS1 SCPH-5552 failing to boot

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
ploder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5552

PS1 SCPH-5552 failing to boot

Post by ploder » February 18th, 2017, 7:15 am

My trusty PS1 from 1998 seems to have kicked the bucket. Up until now it was reading game discs with the occasional slow down and message on the screen about not being able to read from game disc (there was also the audible whirring sound when the disc was spinning). So, I cleaned the laser and opened it up to lubricate the gears and motor with white lithium grease. After that the console was much less noisy and read discs better than ever...until after about 5-6 hours game time the same problems started again.

Now the PS1 won't read music CDs or game discs. When the console is turned on with either there is this streaming/chirping noise then a click. Sometimes there is a slight half-hearted movement of the spindle so the disc rotates a little, but then stops. I've included an audio recording of the sounds on booting discs and a gallery of pictures showing what I think are the most important areas inside the console.

Is there anything I can do other than buying a new laser?

Gallery of pictures showing PS1 tray, laser and insides:
http://postimg.org/gallery/fjidmw76/

Sound recording of when PS1 is switched on with game/music CD:
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/AtSbZ837/file.html

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 18th, 2017, 11:42 pm

Sounds like the spindle motor is gone.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.