Strange Game Hunter cartridge

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
ploder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5552

Strange Game Hunter cartridge

Post by ploder » September 8th, 2016, 12:13 am

I was wondering whether anyone has any info on this particular Game Hunter cartridge? It is not like the others you see on the net. It doesn't say 'CD version' on the label. It says 'Gameland' from what I can see. Sorry for the image quality, it's the best i could find.

Basically, I need to know whether it can boot imports and backups on a PAL ps1. More specifically, a scph-5552. Also, any pros and cons would be useful. What exactly do they mean by 'CD version' on the others that this one doesn't have? I already know that these action replay based cartridges only connect via coms link to a PC, but not bothered since I have an Xplorer. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Chocolate-fueled pug fetish robot.

Post by sickle » September 8th, 2016, 3:15 pm

It's one of *very* many similar knockoffs in the same case shape, with a variety of hacked Caetla (ROM) derivatives.
If you're looking to use it for imports there's probably 3 outcomes here (once you've wedged down the disk lid sensor)

1- If you're kinda lucky you can boot with a black disk in, it'll auto-stop it, then you can switch disks and get going.

2- Failing that, the EEPROM may be recognised and writable via XFlash. If so you can write something like Zippy, Ahoy, Caetla, Unirom, etc all of which give the functionality of #1. (just burn this via a CDR)

3- It's not writable, so boot up with black disk in. Go to "CD ROM" in the menu, hit X to back out. Switch disks... psx is now happy to boot imports/CDRs.

Either way it's probably best to use a cart than to be swapping out disks mid-spin, but I'd say probably 18 of 20 carts or so i've found have been writable. (Got a bunch of random ones from a game shop as it was closing down).

ploder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ploder » September 10th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Good info, thanks. I was looking into these carts because I don't think I have a good way to flash my Xploder and didn't really want to because it's my only one at the moment. I have no old port on the computer and don't have the right cable either.
sicklebrick wrote:3- It's not writable, so boot up with black disk in. Go to "CD ROM" in the menu, hit X to back out. Switch disks... psx is now happy to boot imports/CDRs.

Either way it's probably best to use a cart than to be swapping out disks mid-spin, but I'd say probably 18 of 20 carts or so i've found have been writable. (Got a bunch of random ones from a game shop as it was closing down).
Could I just clarify are you saying there is a way to boot backups/imports even if the device doesn't allow it from the 'start game without cheats' first option? Or, when you say press 'x to back out' and 'switch disks' this is a hard swap? ie the disc is spinning at the time? I'm looking to do a swap when the disc isn't spinning, but my original Xplorer doesn't allow this.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » September 11th, 2016, 3:48 am

If the cart firmware doesn't allow a safe swap, then the only way to use it to boot imports and backups is to flash it with custom firmware using Unirom (either caetla, which allows swapping) or there's some newer sort of firmware out now that allows backup and import booting without swapping, it direct boots as long as the cartridge is in for the most part. Its similar to freemcboot on the ps2).

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » September 11th, 2016, 4:47 pm

To clarify what likeabaus says, you could burn a copy of Zippy/Ahoy (caetla 0.34 with auto cd stop) onto an XFlash CD or burn unirom onto one ( caetla + launch backups without swapping, like freemcboot ) onto a CD. You'd only have to do the hard-swap once...to get the firmware flashed onto the cart... then the new firmware would assist in booting backups.
(without swapping while spinning).

If you're worried about that hard swap, it'll be fine a couple of times- did it literally hundreds of times when developing unirom and the old girl still runs... just don't make a habit of it.

ploder
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ploder » September 11th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Thanks both of you. I had no idea there was firmware for these cheat devices that can boot imports/copies without swapping. Once a compatible cartridge is flashed with unirom it's as simple as starting with the copy in the disc tray and the cheat cartridge switched on? No ToC problems or the lid button having to be pressed down would be a major benefit. This works for all games and doesn't damage the system? An Xplorer cartridge can be flashed from cdr?

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » September 13th, 2016, 12:31 am

In theory. The unlock isn't perfect but works "well enough" hah.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » September 13th, 2016, 5:02 am

I didn't realize you were the dev behind unirom, sicklebrick! Thanks for such an awesome tool, I wish my latest psx had a parallel port so I could take advantage of this!

sickle
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by sickle » September 14th, 2016, 1:17 am

likeabaus wrote:I didn't realize you were the dev behind unirom, sicklebrick! Thanks for such an awesome tool, I wish my latest psx had a parallel port so I could take advantage of this!
Lots ofother people's code + tools too though, hehe