NO$PSX V2.1 Released (20th Aug 2022)

Problems or feedback about the NO$PSX emulator by Martin Korth
nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

NO$PSX V2.1 Released (20th Aug 2022)

Post by nocash » August 23rd, 2022, 9:01 pm

Heya, I've been away from psx scene for a while, anyways here's a new no$psx & psxspx update.
http://problemkaputt.de/psx.htm - no$psx homepage

The main theme for that update are File Formats. Why? I just thought I would have a quick look at "what is on a CD?", and then I somehow couldn't stop and got entangled in documenting & supporting hundreds of archive formats and dozens of compression methods and bitmap/texture formats (mostly for games that were on Playstation Magazine demo discs, plus some more titles).

The Filesystem viewer In debug version (menubar, Window, Filesystem) will show the whole cdrom content as tree view (which can be neatly browsed with cursor keys: up/down=select, left/right=browse child archives/folders). The window at the bottom shows a hexdump/bitmap of the currently selected file. It doesn't go deeper into game specific formats or models, but it's quite nice to break down cdrom archives into smaller pieces & to get an idea which files are where.

The file formats are also documented in CDROM File Formats chapter in psxspx... which does now come in two versions (the whole document in one htm file, and all chapters in separate htm files, the latter tends to load faster in web browsers).
http://problemkaputt.de/psxspx-contents.htm - PSX Spex, multipage HTML version
http://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm - PSX Spex, whole doc HTML version

Apart from the file formats stufff, there are also some emulation fixes and some new debugger features.

20 Aug 2022 - no$psx v2.1
- help: released psxspx update, including new multi-page htm version
- xed: editor supports ctrl+up/dn and ctrl+pgup/pgdn (as in help engine)
- debug: shows correct branch-delay-opcode-address in tracelog/warnings/membreak
- joypad/help: dualshock2 pinout, button-access, rumble-details (thanx scanlime)
- boot/bios clone/emu/help: details on initial state of hardware registers
- boot: forces display enable via GP1(03h)=0 (for Saga Frontier, thanks denim)
- bios clone/help: workaround for hardware glitch on cdrom-irq-polling
- bios clone: exception vector [86h]<>375Ah (avoid BRK(101h) in WCW Mayhem)
- bios clone: patch_install_lightgun_irq_handler_k0_k1 (Star Wars: Rebel As 2)
- cdrom/debug: warning on sector-size-change during reading (crash team arcade)
- cdrom/debug: displays cdrom command names in tty debug message window
- cdrom/emu: ensures matching sector_index/remain despite sector size changes
- cdrom/emu: abort reading on command 0Ah (Init), required for MagDemo15
- cdrom/emu: supports .cue files with separate .bin files for each track
- debug: fixed buffered_3d_log crash in multi-machine mode
- io/emu: fixed crash on 32bit reads from 2x16bit spu registers
- io/emu: allows nonsense 1F801130h read (Gran Turismo 2, MagDemo27: GT2\*)
- help: added specs for various psx file formats (archives, sound, video) (2021)
- cdrom/debug: added filesystem viewer window for cdrom/memcard (summer 2021)
- help: bugfix: bios C(03h) SysDeqIntRP is working (it's messy, but not bugged)
- help: added Keyboard controllers chapter (various homebrew hardware hacks)
- gpustat: supports even/odd FRAME for INTERLACE mode (for online cd)
- ass/dis: supports GTE cop2 opcodes/register names (+opcode params)
- debug: supports symbols and psyq line numbers from PsyQ .SYM files
- debug: supports symbols and dwarf line numbers from PsxSdk .ELF files
- cartloader: loads exe from .cpe/.elf files (works also for xboo exe uploads)
- setup: option for polling joystick/gamepad every frame; SLOW on old gameports
- setup: option for RAM size (2Mbyte for retail, or 8Mbyte for debug/testing)
- bios clone: vcd/software: fixed noise on power-up (init reverb before memfill)
- bios clone: fixed GUI bug up open/close lid (unexpected door IRQ5 when paused)
- bios clone: fixed fast memcard access modes (forces pause between chip select)
- bios clone: fixed installer filesize of PSX-EXP.EXE (needs 800h-byte align)
- bios clone: removed gui's eject callback event (mistriggered when unformatted)
- bios clone: added memcard pre-select delay (needed for some memcards/pockstat)

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002

Post by null » August 24th, 2022, 12:03 am

Thanks for the new update of your emulator nocash nice. But there are some missing info on your CDROM Disk Image Formats.

.CHD - CHDMAN is made by Aaron Giles of MAME. It's named Compressed Hard Disk but later he change it to Compressed Hunks of Data. Now there 5 versions of chd, the v1-v4 uses same algorithm but he completely change the algorithm in v5 and it's the latest one. v5 uses cdzl (cd zlib, deflate), cdlz (cd lzma), cdfl (cd flac). It's for cdrom compression algorithm only I don't know what approach he used for the hard disk image but you'll see it if you use the DOS CHDMAN app. It's a lossless type compression that allows random-access and can also be decompress using the app. It's compression ratio exceeds .CSO and .GZ compression. The latest CHDMAN works in win98 because it's just a simple DOS app you don't need to use the MAME emulator. If you need the CHDMAN just tell me I can upload it here.

.PBP - Sony's official disk image format for PSP but they also use this to compress single disc psx games and combine multiple disc psx games (like Final Fantasy 7-8 with 4 disc) into one .PBP from their official online store.

Quoted from redditor Zapeth about .PBP

//To be fair there are actually two different kinds of PBP files/formats, the official proprietary one from Sony and the bastardized, reverse-engineered public one that is similar enough to be loaded on a PSP.//

//The official one features a different kind of compression for both data and audio tracks, and at least the latter offers better compression ratio than CHD (presumably at the cost of the audio compression being lossy, unfortunately we don't know because it is still unknown how the audio data can be decompressed).//

//The public one just uses standard zlib compression on the entire disc, so it is bound to have less efficient compression ratio compared to the CHD format.//

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » August 24th, 2022, 3:39 am

Many thanks for this update and glad to see you back, amazing work as always ! :)
On the other hand i can't get any game to boot when using any retail bios with this release (2.0 is fine).
It won't pass the first white Sony boot screen unless using the Bios intro skipping option or the BIOS clone instead.

Also Parasite Eve 2 is still broken sadly and won't go further than the intro movie.

MottZilla
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by MottZilla » August 24th, 2022, 3:12 pm

I'm happy to see an update! I really like the emulator's debug features.
Squaresoft74 wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:39 am Also Parasite Eve 2 is still broken sadly and won't go further than the intro movie.
In v2.0 it seemed to set mode A0 (read full sectors) which is unusual and then it just repeatedly tries to read LBA 462 ( 00:08:12 ) forever.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 24th, 2022, 9:53 pm

CHD and PBP sounds interesting, especially if they provide some reasonable compression with random access, data and audio compression, and filtering out sector headers and error correction stuff.

For CBD source code, I've found this: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... chdman.cpp (this is called "CHD compression frontend", where "frontend" seems to mean "commandline interface").
And this https://github.com/mamedev/mame/tree/ma ... c/lib/util (this seems to contain more low-level functions for the actual sector handling... and seems to include some ECC error correction support).

For PBP source code, I've found this: https://github.com/RupertAvery/PSXPackager (I haven't looked too closely at it yet).

Are the CBD and PBP formats documented anywhere, describing file headers etc? Or would one need to rev-engineer them from the above source code (or is there some other/better/more relevant source code somewhere)?

Yes, having a win98 compatible build of the CHDMAN tool would be nice! Or some sample CHD / PBP disc images with some small data and audio tracks (best something that is free... and it doesn't need to be for PSX, a DOS CDROM image would be fine either, as long as it's a CDROM, not a HDD image).

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 24th, 2022, 10:07 pm

Squaresoft74 wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:39 am On the other hand i can't get any game to boot when using any retail bios with this release (2.0 is fine).
It won't pass the first white Sony boot screen unless using the Bios intro skipping option or the BIOS clone instead.
Thanks! I've looked into it, and figured out what's wrong: The DMA interrupt flags in DICR.bit24-30 do trigger when enabled in DICR.bit23 (but do NOT need to be enabled in DICR.bit16-22; but no$psx did incorrectly insist on that those bits to be enabled, too).
I am quite glad to have fixed that! The old no$psx versions did use some ugly emulation tweak for getting videos in Alone in the Dark IV running... that tweak isn't needed anymore with the improved DMA interrupt emulation : )
I'll upload a bugfix soon (after looking into other bug reports).
MottZilla wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:12 pm
Squaresoft74 wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:39 am Also Parasite Eve 2 is still broken sadly and won't go further than the intro movie.
In v2.0 it seemed to set mode A0 (read full sectors) which is unusual and then it just repeatedly tries to read LBA 462 ( 00:08:12 ) forever.
Hmmm, yeah, that's still happening. I'll try to find out if it's a setmode issue, or cdrom issue, or timing relate

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by null » August 25th, 2022, 2:03 am

Format documentation?

For CHD, there are some specification but the info isn't completely detailed. I can ask Aaron Giles on his social networking accounts if he still have all the info.

For PBP, some programmers try to rev-engineer it but it's half failure. Why? because it works on the native built-in PSX emulator of PSP like how an official PSN eboot works, failure because they don't know what type of compression is used in audio and video. They don't know if it's lossy or lossless and they don't know how to decompress it.

File headers?

For CHD

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... util/chd.h

For PBP

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Eboot.PBP

Oh I forgot about this, PBP is also called Eboot.PBP. All PSP/PSX-PSN games needs to be renamed to Eboot.PBP in order to work on a real PSP hardware. PSX emulators that supports PBP games doesn't have this restriction.

CHD specification quoted from Aaron Giles old MAME history log

https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-1964 ... #pid429827

Relevant source code?

For CHD, that's it the author embed it to MAME's source code. There are some from others too but it's incomplete like there's no hard disks and only specific CD formats support.

https://github.com/rtissera/libchdr

For PBP, you can look at the documents of Official PSP Software Development Kits (SDK) it's available in archive.org. There are open-source too.

https://github.com/pspdev/pspsdk
https://github.com/AKuHAK/psxtract

Upload for CHD/PBP samples?

I have some clarifications there are two types of PBP. The official PSN from SONY store and the reverse-engineered public one. I think I should upload two types of PBP ROM, the official and unofficial.

Can you give me the names of small sample of PSX ROM with small data and audio tracks that you want me to upload? Retail, homebrew, demo, debug prototype, etc.?

For official PSN PS1 games here's the list, I don't know if there's free or what. It's limited but you really need it because it's official that they didn't completely rev-engineer yet.

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/inde ... ial_Eboots

CHDMAN tool?

Here I put some ELI5 instructions there it's the readme.txt file just ignore it because I intended to upload it for people who really like to play PSX games in CHD that doesn't know how CMD works or any programming skills. I will also put the commands and .BAT file for easy usage.

Correction on DOS app

I just mean MS-DOS like app that can be use by using CMD.exe.

//Edit: Removed outdated CHDMAN//
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by null on August 27th, 2022, 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 25th, 2022, 5:10 am

Thanks for the links and comments!
null wrote: August 25th, 2022, 2:03 am Can you give me the names of small sample of PSX ROM with small data and audio tracks that you want me to upload? Retail, homebrew, demo, debug prototype, etc.?
Good question... are there any PSX freeware titles with audio tracks?

Otherwise, let's start with the Marilyn game here, http://www.psxdev.net/homebrew.html It doesn't have audio tracks, but does have XA-ADPCM audio streaming, I don't know if Sony is also re-compressing that in PBP files(?)

The Roll Boss game here http://www.psxdev.net/homebrew_2.html does additionally have a STR movie. The STR compression isn't so bad, but it could be improved when storing only each Nth frame as full MDEC bitmap (and storing differences to next/previous frame in the other frames).

Btw. one interesting finding when looking into PSX file formats was that STR movies and BS pictures are actually using Huffman compression (per software) instead of solely relying on the MDEC hardware's RLE compression. Well, that isn't really new, but I wasn't aware of it until recently.

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by null » August 25th, 2022, 7:21 pm

Okay I discovered something, converting multiple track PSX games to PBP will lose the soundtrack if it has any audio tracks before converting. So it's not advisable to convert multi track PSX games to PBP.

I found an unlicensed demo debug prototype of Psalm 69 (Hybrid in beta/alpha stage of development) CDROM image, it has 1 data track and 2 audio tracks and it can only be converted to CHD not PBP.

For debug options
http://hiddenpalace.org/Psalm_69_(May_1 ... n=monobook

For PBP, I found an official one from PlayStation store but all PSONE Classics there are not for free they sell it all, no demo samples.

The name of PSONE Classic game I found in PBP format is Bowling USA-PSN PSP EBOOT, it has 1 data track and 14 audio tracks. When the PBP file is compress in ZIP it's only 14MB.

I'll upload the file to catbox.moe, our forum only supports 3MB per file. Please tell me if you can't download the file.

Verified files via redump.org

Psalm 69 (Japan) (Beta) size:
Uncompress - 72.1MB
7zip - 05.50MB
CHD - 20.00MB

//Edit: Removed outdated CHD file link//
Last edited by null on August 27th, 2022, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 25th, 2022, 10:29 pm

The chdman.exe tool isn't very good. I've tried to convert the DeathBall homebrew...

Code: Select all

> chdman createcd -i "dball.cue" -o "dball.chd"
chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.146 (May 21 2012)
trk 1: 1826091 frames @ offset 0
Error: file already exists (dball.chd)
Use --force (or -f) to force overwriting
It's always throwing the "file already exists" message, no matter what output name I am using.
It felt risky to use the "-f" force option in a tool with apparently broken file_io functions, but I've tried it anyways...

chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.146 (May 21 2012)
trk 1: 1826091 frames @ offset 0
Output CHD:   dball.chd
Input file:   dball.cue
Input tracks: 1
Input length: 405:47:66
Compression:  cdlz (CD LZMA), cdzl (CD Deflate), cdfl (CD FLAC)
Logical size: 4,470,273,216
Hmmm, "Logical size: 4,470,273,216" sounds weird (dball.bin is only 1,371,216 bytes), and "Input length: 405:47:66" is that a cdrom with 405 minutes???
Anyways, it doesn't create the output file, instead windows is throwing this error message:

CHDMAN.EXE used an invalid or uninitialized "critical section".
The crash is triggered when chdman is calling "KERNEL32.DLL!DeleteCriticalSection".
Working CDROM compression would be nice, but I am not too convinced that CHD is the right way to go... are people really using that CHD stuff???

The "file already exists" error seems to happen to many people. Maybe it's only working in linux (and perhaps 64bit windows or whatever).
The chdman EXE is from 2012, I don't know if any newer versions exist (and if they are better or worse).

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by null » August 25th, 2022, 11:58 pm

I tried to compress dball game in CHDMAN, it works no problem on my computer automated using .BAT and manually through commands. Maybe it has something to do with OS compatibility? Or driver problem? cmd.exe version?

Windonws 7 32bit
Windows 10 64bit

I tried it in a PSX emulator that supports CHD it works without any problem.

Yes, they're using it right now because almost all PSX/PS2 emulators supports CHD. PPSSPP doesn't support this because the author said CSO can do the job of CHD/PBP but there's a cost the emulation will become lag if you maximize the compression level. PBP/CHD doesn't have this kind of problem.

Yes, that's the latest one no update as of now from Aaron Giles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by null » August 26th, 2022, 12:55 am

Try this if it doesn't work.

Move CHDMAN folder to the root of your hard drive (The very first location when you open your hd).
Move the BIN/CUE files to the CHDMAN folder.
Open cmd.exe with administration rights.

Below a sample of unofficial public PBP. It works in PSX emulators.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » August 26th, 2022, 4:06 am

null wrote: August 25th, 2022, 2:03 am For PBP, some programmers try to rev-engineer it but it's half failure. Why? because it works on the native built-in PSX emulator of PSP like how an official PSN eboot works, failure because they don't know what type of compression is used in audio and video. They don't know if it's lossy or lossless and they don't know how to decompress it.
Anything that could help here ?

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by null » August 26th, 2022, 4:14 am

Squaresoft74 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 4:06 am Anything that could help here ?
Just the unpacking code.

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by null » August 26th, 2022, 8:57 pm

Multi track BIN/CUE files converted to PBP doesn't lose its background music. That problem is only specific to an emulator, the ePSXe have this bug.

The below link is a multi track sample of the PSX game Demo Psalm 69 (1 data track plus 2 audio tracks) in PBP format.

https://files.catbox.moe/czutu4.zip

Lollie
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Lollie » August 26th, 2022, 9:48 pm

Awesome to see NO$PSX getting some love again, thank you for the update!

I saw there's a change to the bios that relates to the PocketStation. Does this affect the emulator at all? I've been unable to get Pocket MuuMuu (a Japanese PS1 game packed with PocketStation games and apps) to transfer PocketStation games to the memory card, I wanted to be sure.

MottZilla
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by MottZilla » August 27th, 2022, 6:43 am

nocash wrote: August 24th, 2022, 10:07 pm Hmmm, yeah, that's still happening. I'll try to find out if it's a setmode issue, or cdrom issue, or timing relate
One other thing that I tried to email you about. Does No$PSX implement the COP0 data access / data write breakpoint? I tried to use it awhile back and it doesn't seem to work. It's possible I made a mistake but I don't think so.

null
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by null » August 27th, 2022, 5:28 pm

Update CHDMAN to v0.246 Jul 31, 2022

Sample updated CHD CDROM Psalm 69 JP Demo

https://files.catbox.moe/0q0jbd.zip

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
CHDMAN v0.246
D:\CHDMAN>chdman createcd -i "Psalm 69 (Japan) (Beta).cue" -o "Psalm 69 (Japan) (Beta).chd"
chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.246 (mame0246)
Output CHD:   Psalm 69 (Japan) (Beta).chd
Input file:   Psalm 69 (Japan) (Beta).cue
Input tracks: 3
Input length: 07:08:46
Logical size: 78,708,096
Compression complete ... final ratio = 26.6%
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
CHD file info:
D:\CHDMAN>CHDMAN info -i "Psalm 69 (Japan) (Beta).chd" -v
chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.246 (mame0246)
Input file:   Psalm 69 (Japan) (Beta).chd
File Version: 5
Logical size: 78,708,096 bytes
Hunk Size:    19,584 bytes
Total Hunks:  4,019
Unit Size:    2,448 bytes
Total Units:  32,152
CHD size:     20,964,691 bytes
Ratio:        26.6%
SHA1:         929d07622d48ff8f6868869521d01f0d17da9807
Data SHA1:    667f022d70d9ddb6c217d248318762a82a0edb39
Metadata:     Tag='CHT2'  Index=0  Length=92 bytes
              TRACK:1 TYPE:MODE2_RAW SUBTYPE:NONE FRAMES:11519 PREGAP:0 PGTYPE:MODE1 PGSUB:NONE POSTGAP:0.
Metadata:     Tag='CHT2'  Index=1  Length=90 bytes
              TRACK:2 TYPE:AUDIO SUBTYPE:NONE FRAMES:3601 PREGAP:225 PGTYPE:VAUDIO PGSUB:NONE POSTGAP:0.
Metadata:     Tag='CHT2'  Index=2  Length=93 bytes
              TRACK:3 TYPE:AUDIO SUBTYPE:NONE FRAMES:17026 PREGAP:13650 PGTYPE:VAUDIO PGSUB:NONE POSTGAP:0.

Hunks  Percent  Name
----------  -------  ------------------------------------
     1,733    43.1%  Copy from self
     2,155    53.6%  CD LZMA
        20     0.5%  CD Deflate
       111     2.8%  CD FLAC
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 28th, 2022, 12:08 am

Many thanks for the PBP and CHD sample images! They are very helpful to see how the data looks like in practice.
Squaresoft74 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 4:06 am Anything that could help here ?
Yeah, the encryption stuff might be useful (for retail disc images). And it's having some "lz" compression, I am not sure what that's used for, I thought that it would use standard "deflate" compression(?)

I've created separate threads for PBP and CHD formats, with yet incomplete file format specs:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3980 - CHD Format (MAME)
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3979 - PBD Format (Sony)
Lollie wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:48 pm I saw there's a change to the bios that relates to the PocketStation. Does this affect the emulator at all? I've been unable to get Pocket MuuMuu (a Japanese PS1 game packed with PocketStation games and apps) to transfer PocketStation games to the memory card, I wanted to be sure.
The extra chip select delay in the last line of the release notes? That should affect real hardware only.
I haven't tried, but what you say sounds as if that MuuMuu games refuses to store pocketstation files on regular memory cards, which makes sense to me.
I'm not sure what you want to do: Store pocketstation files files on regular memory cards, but why? And do you want to do that on real hardware, or in no$psx, or in any other emulators in general?
MottZilla wrote: August 27th, 2022, 6:43 am Does No$PSX implement the COP0 data access / data write breakpoint? I tried to use it awhile back and it doesn't seem to work. It's possible I made a mistake but I don't think so.
Ah, no, it doesn't. It's supporting only COP0 code access breaks (and even that won't work if they occur in branch delays).

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 28th, 2022, 1:51 am

Btw. did I miss any important/standard PSX File Format in my specs?
http://problemkaputt.de/psxspx-cdrom-file-formats.htm

Are there any further standard archive, bitmap, model, sound, compression formats that are still unsupported/undocumented in no$psx?