NO$CASH Kernel Clone - New Expansion ROM Version

Problems or feedback about the NO$PSX emulator by Martin Korth
Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » May 25th, 2018, 10:59 am

Post removed, issue solved, can be deleted.
Last edited by Squaresoft74 on September 24th, 2018, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » September 19th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Shadow wrote: February 19th, 2018, 1:23 am Well I got the NO$PSX kernel on my Xplorer (had to also wire PIN 16 of the DB25 port to PIN 2 of the PlayStation Parallel Port), and I can upload PS-EXE's to it
May i ask why this was needed ?

I don't know if nocash is still working on this but it would be great if it could get a bit more stability.
Let me explain;
For some reason, to get the exe upload working, i have to hit the console's reset button just after starting the upload process via no$psx, else i'm getting "no no$psx bios found.....Transfert Failed...Timeout...." message most of the time.

When using an original Xplorer rom, exe upload will work anytime without needing to reset.

Tested on 1002/7002/7502 consoles.

Also could an x64 compatible version of Nocashio driver be made ?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 20th, 2018, 8:03 pm

I think this is the reset line or interrupt line. I can't remember, but NO$CASH used it to tell the PlayStation when to start accepting data.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » September 21st, 2018, 4:48 am

So should i apply this mod to fix the issue i described above ?
*edit*
It seems i have to ?? :?
Note
Instead of the above internal mod, the nocash kernel clone can be also installed on cheat devices, which do also include DB25 connectors for parallel port uploads, too.
For DB25 parallel port uploads, do the following mods to the cheat device:
- Datel: use the FiveWire mod to get it parallel port compatible
- Xplorer: simply wire DB25./INIT to EXP./RESET (with diode, if needed)
Can you post a picture of yours ?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 23rd, 2018, 2:06 pm

Sure, but please ignore my terrible handywork with the switch I used and how it was soldered in.
It was a rushed job :oops:

Basically the switch enables or disabled the mod. Hope it helps you :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » September 23rd, 2018, 2:21 pm

Thanks Shadow ! :)
So it's really just a wire afterall, the "with diode, if needed" part confused me. :?
Good idea for the added switch !

*EDIT*
Mod done and exe upload works 100% now, thank you very much ! :D

Also
Datel: use the FiveWire mod to get it parallel port compatible
Got any details about that mod ?
I have a GameShark Pro 3.x i'd like to give a try aswell.

As for suggestion:
Could it be possible to have the secret unlock commands applied when the cartridge's switch is set to off (booting the original bios) ?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 27th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Awesome! If you do put a switch like mine, all you got to do is drill a hole in the back of the Xplorers plastic case and you can easily toggle it on/off.

Not sure about that mod actually. Never heard of it.
I'm also not sure if the unlock commands could be applied in that sense.

ukshaun
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by ukshaun » October 12th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Hi guys, Bit of a newbie on this subject. I want to use the NO$CASH Expansion ROM Version.

I just followed rama3 post on here, "I loaded PSX-EXP.ROM into no$psx and then choose the menu option 'Create currently loaded expansion rom installer (EXPAND.EXE)'."

So I have the EXPAND.EXE. How do burn this to cd-r?

Thank you.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » October 13th, 2018, 3:58 am

Sorry, I completely forgot about the iso.
I just tried to make an image of my disk, but my drive doesn't want to detect it, it seems.
It does work on my PSX though, so I looked for what's most likely the image file I created initially.
Try burning this to a CD using imgburn (or some other plain iso maker):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dpivxj

Boot this on your PSX (you do have a chip, right?), having the expansion cart plugged in.
The installer says you can hotswap, but it's probably not good.
Last edited by rama3 on November 22nd, 2020, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ukshaun
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by ukshaun » October 13th, 2018, 5:31 am

rama3 wrote: October 13th, 2018, 3:58 am Sorry, I completely forgot about the iso.
I just tried to make an image of my disk, but my drive doesn't want to detect it, it seems.
It does work on my PSX though, so I looked for what's most likely the image file I created initially.
Try burning this to a CD using imgburn (or some other plain iso maker):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/c2uclf

Boot this on your PSX (you do have a chip, right?), having the expansion cart plugged in.
The installer says you can hotswap, but it's probably not good.
Thanks for you help and reply, rama3. It's much appreciated.

I have burned the your file to CD using imgburn. The cd works/boots in my other chipped PSX to the black screen with information. So I take it that works. I'm now just waiting for my mate to send me a Xplorer so I can try it out. Do I just press X once I put the Xplorer in and boot the cd?

Cheers.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » October 13th, 2018, 5:36 am

Once the information screen shows, yes.
Be mindful of the state of oxidation on old pins on both, the console and the Explorer.
You may want to make sure that the Explorer works fine.
Have it inserted and get it to show its menu, then select "Start CD" or similar, to load the ROM installer.

(Typically, the Explorer menu won't show on first attempt, due to the oxidation buildup. Insert and remove the cart a few times to fix it.)

ukshaun
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by ukshaun » October 13th, 2018, 5:45 am

rama3 wrote: October 13th, 2018, 5:36 am Once the information screen shows, yes.
Be mindful of the state of oxidation on old pins on both, the console and the Explorer.
You may want to make sure that the Explorer works fine.
Have it inserted and get it to show its menu, then select "Start CD" or similar, to load the ROM installer.

(Typically, the Explorer menu won't show on first attempt, due to the oxidation buildup. Insert and remove the cart a few times to fix it.)
Thanks again for the help and tips. I'll give it ago once I get my hands on the Explorer.

ukshaun
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by ukshaun » October 26th, 2018, 7:54 am

Update. Just a big thanks to you, rama3. I got the Explorer and it working great. Thank you once again for you help.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » October 26th, 2018, 1:29 pm

No worries, glad it worked ;p
The CD not getting detected on my PC had me worried.

ukshaun
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by ukshaun » October 28th, 2018, 4:14 am

rama3 wrote: October 26th, 2018, 1:29 pm No worries, glad it worked ;p
The CD not getting detected on my PC had me worried.
Oh right. It worked like a charm, first time. Just another question if you don't mind answering. Just tried a VCD and get a grey screen with No cash VCD player and nothing else. Is t true you can only run VCD's with a modchip installed? I'm using an PAL UK PS1 Thanks

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » October 29th, 2018, 12:42 am

Sorry, I haven't tried using this feature.

ukshaun
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by ukshaun » October 29th, 2018, 2:50 am

rama3 wrote: October 29th, 2018, 12:42 am Sorry, I haven't tried using this feature.
No worries mate. Thanks once again.

Eldaer
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Eldaer » November 15th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Hoping someone is still here :=)
I turned the expand exe file into an iso and burned it, it ran in the NO$CASH but cant get it to run on my ps1. Any help?

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » November 16th, 2020, 5:36 am

Expand.exe generated from no$psx is meant to flash a cartridge to install the kernel clone to it.

Bigboss276
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Bigboss276 » April 14th, 2021, 6:02 am

Hello all,
I'm newbie in modif psx but if i understand all you say i can create an hex file with the code of the rom and put it on an eprom to solder it in my psx ? What kind of eprom i can use to put the rom on it and where i can find some plan to soldering thé eprom on my psx ?
Thanks for all 😉😜